SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irissto

Dog UTI, food question

Zoey is about 12 years old, spayed female, mixed breed, 50 pounds. She has bad hips and seasonal allergies. Last Thursday we had snow (doesn’t happen often) and when I walked her, I noticed some blood in her Urine. No other symptoms like wanting to go more often. Took her to the vet on Friday. She has a UTI, the vet said it’s not bad, but there are some crystals. No stones on the ultrasound. She got antibiotics and special food (Purina pro plan, Urinary ox/ st) I figure the vet wants her to stay on this food, since she wanted me to take a 25 pound bag. I just took the small 6 pound bag and am glad I did. I would pay the ridiculous price for the food, if my dog needs it, but looking at the ingredients it just sounds terrible to me. Especially for a dog with allergies. I have to take Zoey back in a week for a recheck. My questions to you here are: Is this kind of diet really needed for a dog that has bladder problems for the first time in her life? If so, are there options you know that sound healthier than the stuff the vet gave me? Her usual food is Taste of the Wild, High Prairie Canine formula. Adding a picture of the list of ingredients from the Purina.

Comments (16)