SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

January 2018, Week 4, The January Thaw, Warmth, Wind, Fire, Seeds...

I originally typed this post around 8 a.m. and thought I hit 'submit' but it never posted, so I'm trying again.

Here we are, already beginning the fourth week of the year. It seems like January is flying by quickly, doesn't it? I think that is a good thing because it always feels like the coldest, gloomiest month to me. Let's enjoy The January Thaw while we've got it, because I suspect the winter weather really isn't done with us yet. High temperatures will be nice this week, though the lows won't be all that great. Still, it all is better than last week's weather.

Here in southcentral OK, we've already hit 72 degrees. That sounds better on paper than it feels in real life because it is cloudy and overcast, threatening to rain a little (not much is expected, and our chance is a low 20%) and much windier than forecast. Our forecast maximum wind gusts for today are 31 mph, but we've consistently had wind gusts in the upper 30s and lower 40s for a couple of hours now. The higher wind makes me slightly uneasy in terms of fire danger, but not excessively so.

If you're west of I-35, fire danger is extreme today for many counties currently under a Red Flag Fire Warning. If you're well east of I-35 in SE OK, you have a slight chance of thunderstorms and possibly a tornado or two, and if you're right along the I-35 corridor, you're caught in a weird no-man's land between the two where you might be neither fiery nor stormy. It feels like an April day right now, in all the best ways, except for that whole slight chance of tornadoes (also more of an April thing, though not unheard of in January).

It is hard to clean out a chicken coop and haul manure/bedding/stray feathers in wind gusting into the 40s, so I'm waiting for the wind to drop before I tackle that chore. Hopefully the wind will cooperate and drop, or I'll save this job for tomorrow's or Tuesday's lower wind speeds.

I know some of you already have sown or are wintersowing seeds. Have fun with that. I am not wintersowing anything, but might sow seeds of cool-season crops indoors under lights sometime this week. Doing so will give me cool-season transplants by mid- to late-February, ready to go into the ground at the right time for those crops, if the February weather cooperates.

Cooperative weather is what we always hope for, and sometimes we get it, but not always. The long-term outlooks show the next three months are likely to be warmer than average and drier than average. To work around that, I'm trying to add more organic matter to the raised beds than usual as I prep them for planting. The extra organic matter will help the soil hold moisture better if we end up in drought. Conversely, in that magical way that organic matter has of making everything better, it also helps the soil drain better, which is a good thing if we get too much moisture all at once.

Tim's flu has relapsed and he is upstairs in bed with a sore throat and worse aches and pains than he had last week when he stayed home sick for a couple of days. I don't like the relapse and am watching him closely for fever and any signs of penumonia or some other secondary infection.

The TSC in Gainesville doesn't have seed potatoes yet, but this week they have bare root blueberry and blackberry plants in stock, as well as some seeds, including those from Seeds of Change.

The Atwood's has Dixondale onions---only 2 varieties---and one is described generically on the boxes as a sweet southern red onion, which I'm betting is Southern Belle. The other is 1015Y. They also have three varieties of seed potatoes in netting bags---Norkotah Russett, Yukon Gold and Red Norland. Their seed rack has been out for several weeks, but the taters and onions are newly arrived sometime in the last few days.

I guess that's all that is new here so far this week.

Now that I'm making at second attempt at getting this week's general discussion thread posted, I hope the first one that disappeared doesn't also pop up and give us two---I've giving it 4 hours to show up, so I think it just flat out disappeared. We'll see!

Oh, and the drought drags on, particularly in the western half of the state where many areas have gone 105 days or more without meaningful rainfall. That cannot be good for the winter wheat. Overall, January rainfall remains well below average across the state.

Dawn

Comment (1)