SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Week 5, January 2018: One Month Ends, Another Begins...and a blue moon

Here we are at the end of January, looking ahead to February's arrival in just a few days. Don't forget the super moon/blue moon/lunar eclipse thing. For those of us here in North American I believe the eclipse will be visible before sunrise on the 31st.

As this month winds down, we all are busy getting our garden plans finalized, seeds started, garden beds cleaned out and prepared, etc.

In my garden, some perennials already are putting on new leaves. It is too early and undoubtedly frost and very cold weather will nip back some of this new growth. It happens every year.

I've resisted the siren's call of the transplants that arrived at the stores this week....at least so far.

For me, seed-starting time will be next Sunday, on Super Bowl Sunday as usual. We don't even plan to watch the game. All these professional football players who have expressed themselves by kneeling during our national anthem have turned me off (they can protest in their own time, as far as I am concerned---not on the field during their workday) and we just finally stopped watching NFL football for the most part, which is how we're expressing our feelings about all those guys expressing their feelings. In the past, I'd be starting seeds and cooking lunch/dinner for our Super Bowl feasting and hoping I'd be done with the seed-starting and have all the food done on time, but this year, all that pressure is off and I can just focus on the seed-starting. I'm okay with that.

I looked at my ten-day forecast and don't see much hope for any moisture of any kind. (sigh) In a drought year, that's not what you want. I don't think the 0.06" of rainfall we've received in January 2018 is our lowest January rainfall total ever since moving here, but it might be. I kind of think we've had at least one prior January with no rainfall at all.

I am worried that our drought level may progress from Severe to Extreme before warm-season planting time arrives, and if it does, I just dread that. It is hard to get young plants off to a good start in Extreme Drought (not that it is so easy in Moderate or Severe Drought either). I don't have an exact dollar amount in my mind where, if the water bill hits that level, I just stop watering....but pretty much every summer we hit that point where I do stop watering because we are so dry that you get to a point where you might be keeping the plants alive, but they also aren't producing enough to justify the ongoing expense of irrigating them. Generally we get enough rain in the winter and spring that I don't have to think about the irrigation expense that early in the year, but drought years are different. I just hate having drought at planting time. Usually we have rainfall (and hopefully this year we will too) that gets the garden going and growing and irrigation is more of a summertime thing. Maybe April will be its usual rainy self and will save us and our gardens from the deepening drought.

There's tons of garden stuff in all the stores here now, but I've been too busy to really pay much attention to it. In that sense, winter wildfire season may help me because it keeps me out of nurseries and garden centers.

Being out in the wild everyday does mean I'm getting a good feel for what is and isn't greening up here, how behind we are compared to previous years, etc. I think if we could get one good rainfall, all the usual cool-season weeds would bust out of the ground, but on our property, they remain confined to the dog yard thanks to the dogs' constant watering and fertilizing of their yard the natural way. About two weeks ago I noticed that the trees, when you look at them from a distance, are getting that 'fuzzy' look that indicates the buds are swelling and such. The cedars are pollinating. The fruit trees are budding. The dewberries are leafing out. Winter grasses like poa annua are indeed sprouting but not growing much. Perennial herbs and flowers are putting on new leaves down low to the ground. The coral honeysuckle is trying to form new leaves and buds but suffered a lot of cold injury when we went down to 2 degrees, so it seems behind where it normally is at this time of the year. Some of the wildflowers in the front pasture have emerged but mostly remain tiny rosettes of leaves down close to the ground.

Tim smelled a skunk out yesterday in broad daylight, though we never saw it (and I never smelled it). Skunks coming out and searching for one another during their mating season is another sign that Spring is coming, although it is not really a welcome sign.

What's new with y'all? Are you seeing much greening up yet? Can you feel Spring slipping in and trying to push Winter out?

Dawn

Comments (93)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor