SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffo_grow

Is my Pumice and Perlite too coarse? And watering question

Jeff (5b)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I was reading this thread: When I Root a Succulent Should I Remove Stems? and saw the size of some of your mixes. I recently bought Pumice and a new bag of Perlite, and they're pretty coarse. Anything other than potting soil with a little added Perlite looks coarse to me though.

This is Pumice, Perlite and some potting soil that I'm using right now.

I don't want to have to buy all new stuff, but I will if I have to. It's cool in the house right now (60-65 near windows) but when it gets warmer it will be different, with a few plants going outside. I also have Vermiculite which I know many here don't like.

Its difficult with watering now, because I used to go by how the soil looks and feels, and wait a few days or more after that. But now it pretty much looks dry the next day! I don't want to let my plants shrivel as an indicator. That wouldn't be fun. How do you handle watering when you have all kinds of different pots that are clay, plastic, and ceramic, many of which I'm attached to, and all different sizes of different plants?

BTW, cactus isn't much of an issue right now as far as watering goes except for trying to remember when I last watered the really small ones. I'm not fertilizing anything until maybe just a little in Feb.

Comments (13)