SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yms1975

Need some advice on growing maple trees, from seed.

yms1975
6 years ago

I bought like a dozen Sugar Maple Tree (Acer saccharum) seeds online. I both scarified & stratified (in the fridge for like 180 days) the seeds.

After the 180 day mark, I took the seeds out of their damp paper towel home (from the fridge) and planted them in styrofoam cups (with holes in the bottom for air circulation & water run-off) on January 2nd. I then placed the styrofoam cups on a germination heat mat. According to my research, they should've sprouted by January 12th; one week ago today.

I decided to investigate to see why they weren't sprouting. I went into two of the styrofoam cups and dug out the respective seeds. Surely enough, nothing was going on with the seeds. Clearly it had not sprouted. As I was examining the seeds, I noticed the outer shell had broken apart in my hands as I was examining the seeds. The hard shell had split cleanly down the center, into two equal parts. I could see the small seed inside. So after the top part of the shell fell off, I replanted the lower hard shell with the seed seated inside it (exposed) back into the styrofoam cup. I can only hope that it will now begin to sprout. I also took the styrofoam cups and took them off the germination heat mat, and instead placed the cups in front of a window sill.

My question(s) are :

1) How long are the seeds viable for? I'm starting to think that maybe my two year old seeds are no longer good.

2) Is the germination heat mat a good idea for this type of seed? I thought this heat mat would be good for all types of seeds, as far as germination is concerned.

3) I've seen YouTube videos where people are using Dremel tools to scarify the seeds. Any thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad idea? I'm thinking maybe I didn't nick the seeds deep enough.

I'm having a little bit of trouble with getting these maple tree seeds to sprout, but I am determined to make it work, so....please do not give advice on how I should buy seedlings that have already sprouted. I want to make this work from seed, but need some help doing it.

Thanks guys. :)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County