SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malcolm_manners

Pruning workshop and party

malcolm_manners
6 years ago

The annual pruning party in Ruth's Rose Garden, Florida Southern College, Lakeland, will be the morning of February 24, 9:00 a.m. Stephen Scanniello, designer of the garden, president of the Heritage Rose Foundation, and curator of the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden at the New York Botanic Garden, will lead a workshop on pruning and training roses. The more volunteers we have, the merrier (and the quicker we'll get done). Seasoned master pruners and utter novices are equally welcome. Please join us!

Comments (40)

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    6 years ago

Thank you for letting me know. I am interested. So, how do I signed up or just show up ? I am super excited about the invitation. Thank you Malcolm Manners. But I am a beginner does that count ?

Jin

6 years ago

It will be a privilege meeting you guys but I will be learning and watching mostly. .....

Jin

• Related Discussions

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    6 years ago

Wish I could be there! I hope you get a lot of volunteers and have a lot of fun! Melissa

• malcolm_manners
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jin, Just show up. There's a big parking lot north of the garden (on Frank Lloyd Wright Way) -- park anywhere in there on Saturday -- faculty/staff spaces are NOT reserved on weekends (but handicap spaces are). If you get to the college by GPS, Frank Lloyd Wright Way is the street that runs east and west along the north border of the campus. The garden is in about the middle of that stretch, south of the huge parking lot that runs 1/2 the length of the campus, there.

6 years ago

Thank you so much. I will be there. Looking forward for the trip and life long learning and experience.

Thanks again.

Jin

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

I’m jealous! I wish I could be there too! Lisa

6 years ago

Lisa, I will tell you in details. N pics too. I am sure Kim will love that.

Jin

• roseseek
    6 years ago

You KNOW it! LOL!

6 years ago

2 more days to go.... Yaaahoooo :)

Jin

• garden nut z9b
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I went to the workshop in sacramento and there was a lot of useful information on training climbing roses. I had been using plastic ribbon on my climbing roses and now I’m going switch over to jute.

• malcolm_manners
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We use jute, primarily. I do like it. Hope some of you can join us THIS SATURDAY, 9:00 a.m. for the big event in Lakeland!

• suncoastflowers
    6 years ago

Oh I am going to have to make note of this and try to join next year! I have family in Lakeland too.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Jin told me about you using jute there on Saturday. I didn’t know. I’ve always used the “stretchy green garden ribbon” type roll. Is there an advantage to using jute?

Jin told me Saturday night on the phone, that she learned a LOT! She sent me some nice photos, as well. It sounds like it was a great learning experience. I’m too far away, unfortunately, but it sounds like the heat and humidity would have done me in very quickly. I really hope Jin’s cuttings take. That was such an unexpected bonus for her. I’m excited to see how they do. She did a great job potting them all up, judging from the pictures she sent me. (I hope I’m not “stealing” your story here, Jin.) I’m just very excited for you! I’m also a teeny weeny bit jealous that you got to meet Dr. Manners. He’s helped me out before, and I admire him both as a horticulturist and a kind fellow. Lisa

• garden nut z9b
    6 years ago

At the Sacramento seminar it was said that the garden ribbon is fine, jute just blends in better astethically being twine like.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Thank you, garden nut. That’s good to know. I like using the green ribbon for lightweight branches against my wood fence. If I double them up just right, I can use a construction stapler to staple them directly to the wooden boards. I know that wouldn’t work for anything heavy, or long term, but it’s been an easy way to do it for me while balancing at the top of the slope with the skinny canes of ‘Mel’s Heritage. I just keep loosely attaching the cane every few feet, so that all the weight isn’t in one spot. The staples probably wouldn’t work with jute. I do have some jute, and I’ll give it a try in some easily accessible spots. I can see that it would definitely blend in better, aesthetically, than the ribbon does. Thanks! Lisa

6 years ago

Oops, I paste a thread for Malcolm Manners on the roses forum. Hahaha.

Silly me

Jin

6 years ago

Malcolm pls join in ...on Malcolm Manners , you Rock !!!

Jin

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

Oh, Jin. We can understand! You're still on a rose high!!! I commented on the rose site, but have to repeat how thrilled I am for you. And you got cuttings! Now you have to share WHAT cuttings! : ) Lisa, I'm a wee bit jealous too, but at least one of us got to benefit. I was feeling pretty much like a rose rock star myself when I got to meet Peter Schneider last year, so I know the feeling. I could barely focus!

Lisa, that's a great idea about stapling on the wooden fence. I may try that until my Zephy and New Dawn cutting gets bigger. I'm transplanting one of my big NDs to the same fence tomorrow, but I'll try the twine for that. I already dug the hole today. I used to use panty hose, but I never wear them anymore. I may have to buy some knee-highs just for that.

• roseseek
    6 years ago

Peter is a lovely gentleman, isn't he?

6 years ago

Lisa, please, you are not stealing anything. Please, write whatever you like that does not effect me at all, the more the merrier...hehe. I better put another thread up since I put it on wrong site after work.

Peter, he is very entertaining man. He is funny, confidence, very cheerful, passionate and extremely knowledgeable. His stories just wow me.i have to go next year and help out. It is the best decision I have ever made. I got to know a few students there too. I will tell about him in other thread . Jute is very strong. I saw a rose bush flip on other side.... very interesting.

Jin

• suncoastflowers
    6 years ago

That's interesting about the jute. I started with that but was afraid it would damage the canes. I do prefer it so maybe I'll go back!

6 years ago

Jute is very strong. I saw a rose that flip over to one side when it got released for prunning. A rebar was pulled out and ...Timber the rose bush flip to one side. And he put the rebar back into the ground and tie the just around the main stem and it was so upright. Just to show me how strong jute is. And my reaction was Holly Molly...lol

Jin

P.s I have green ribbons too.

6 years ago

I don't think a green ribbon can do that..maybe but I doubt it.

Jin

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago

I was always worried that jute would harbor mold which is rampant here during the rainy season which is why I used the green plastic ribbon/tape. I guess the jute would actually dry out more.

I used to use jute to tie my brugmansia flowers shut after pollinating them to prevent any insects from getting into the blooms. Then I started using fresh long pine needles for that, which worked just as well. So I quit buying jute.

I guess I should get some more jute for the roses.

6 years ago

Hmm, that is a good question, Jasmin? I think it will not mold Bec it is a natural twine but I hope Me. Malcolm Manners might give his input.

Flowers, you have great question also. Will it damage the branches or as it grows. I think only a Rosarians can answer that question.

Kim, Malcolm anyone ??

Now, I am also thinking like Flowers and Jasmine.

Vaporvac, I know what you meant above Peter. His stories just WOW me. He is awesome, isn't he ? I told him next time he sees Julie Andrews and Bruce Springsteen, say Hello. I even forgot Julie's favorite rose. Great..I am so mad with myself. She has 1 favorite rose..can't remember...grrrr

Jin

6 years ago

Vap, I still have a fever high for roses. My yard looks so empty. And yes...lol. I agree with you.

Peter told us to scape bottom and put root hormone. I hope I know what I am doing but I don't

Bi heard cuttings are difficult and I will be shocked if one grows. I won't be surprised if none did.

Jin

• garden nut z9b
    6 years ago

Was it the green rose? as I recall, she saw the green rose being worn on a lapel, and she took it off and asked what it was.

6 years ago

I am going to say Maggie but I am not sure :(

Jin

• suncoastflowers
    6 years ago

I'm sure it's fine if that's what the gardens use. I wouldn't think they would use something that would invite injury.

• cathz6
    6 years ago

The jute turns into compost in a few years, before it can girdle the rose cane.

6 years ago

Interesting, but the rose they seem to be calling SH looks like something else.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

That seems to happen often. The writers are not always the rose lovers.

6 years ago

I wish I can remember..Urg.

Malcolm, which one ? Maybe it is Sally Homes.

Jin

• malcolm_manners
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry Jin, I'm not sure what you are asking? Which one? We don't grow Sally Holmes, but I'm not sure what you are asking. Also, by "Peter," do you mean Stephen Scanniello? I can't think of who Peter would be, otherwise.

6 years ago

Okay Stephen then. You told me his name on Friday and I could not remember. I figured it was Peter when RoseSeek said Isn't Peter wonderful. So, I thought it was Peter. My apologies.

Who is this interesting guy next to you ? He is amazing and you are too. I can't remember his name.

Jin

• malcolm_manners
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes Stephen Scanniello. He designed the garden, and is the curator of the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden of the New York Botanic Garden, Director of the Elizabeth Park Rose Garden in Connecticut, and president of the Heritage Rose Foundation.

6 years ago

Jin, Peter Schneider writes the Combined Rose List and is also the author of the very useful book, Right Rose, Right Place, which is a treasure trove of info for us more northerly growers. If you ever come to Ohio we could make the sojourn to his open house. He's about 4 hours from me, but I combined my trip with ones to the Columbus Park of Roses and the Garden of Roses of Legend and Romance in Wooster, Oh. It was my dream birthday weekend last year. My brain was in overdrive.

6 years ago

I saw his books, Right Rose, Right Place and another. It did not dong on me until now. Stephen is really, really good and I still very impressed by him. All I can do is Wow him.

Thanks for the correction , Malcolm.

Vap, yes, we will meet. The rose garden in Columbus is just 1 min walk from my brother's place. Just let me know in months notice. I will try to take time off and head there. It will be an honor to meet him again. And we can go other places.

Jin