SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

WWYD - Receiving phone calls for someone who's deceased

Oakley
6 years ago

After last night, I've had enough! About 18 years ago we changed our home phone number. Shortly after, we found out the number belonged to a dear elderly lady we knew (I didn't know her phone number), and we know her extended family pretty well. The lady passed away only a few short years earlier, and I can't believe the phone company gave us that number!

The whole family is involved in a lucrative industry where the office work is done out of the home.

We receive business calls not just for her, but for her children and her children's spouses. I tell them they called 555-5555, and never give my name.

I've contacted the family members and they just laugh, because the calls obviously aren't that important. One family member who lives in another state and isn't in the business gets calls from these people and she told me to take their name and number and send them to her. Fine, until they kept calling several times a week. I'm not her secretary.

Last night I was settled in bed reading and the phone rang at 8:30. It was a man and I gave him the same spiel. He was nice and hung up. I swear it was just five min. later when the phone rang again for another family member, and when I told the lady the number she called, she kept going on and on, and would not stop talking until I kind of lost it and said, TAKE MY PHONE NUMBER OFF YOUR LIST!!" and then hung up. lol.

We can't change our phone number, and the land line is staying.

What do I do? Caller i.d. doesn't help.

Comments (60)