SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phamm

15k kitchen budget: what would you do here?

phamm
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This is a 100 yr old home so there are quirks ... I have a 15k budget to work with and was thinking to spend it all on main kitchen (blue gray) and just integrate butlers pantry (yellow fridge room) with paint for now. Long wall of built ins are staying but will be painted and get a new countertop. Beyond that, I don’t want to color your ideas ... What would you do with the 15k? Sorry about the distorted pics!

Comments (48)

• acm
    6 years ago

My main goal would be to get that range out of the corner before you set your house on fire, and ventilated before you all get gassed. It's not obvious how to do that without using at least the far end of the built-in wall, where something used to be. Am really guessing how these photos fit together, though -- even a sketched floorplan would help a lot.

You have a wooden table/island and a metal-topped eating area both in here? Where does the doorway to the right of the sink lead? there's both wood flooring and ... some brick flooring in here? Can't tell if the space is large or cramped!!

You might consider raising that window by the stove, which looks into an enclosed space anyway. Then you could have an L of counters extending onto that wall, which might give you enought space to move the sink and stove around a bit (barely) for a more sane arrangement. Not sure.

Otherwise, maybe some cabinets above the sink area, or at least shelves? and a hood for the stove? Then paint the built-ins all one color and call it a day? I can't really tell what you'd like to achieve.

phamm thanked acm
  • User
    6 years ago

What that kitchen needs is beyond 15K. Move the sink under the window with a shorter window and then move the range over to where the sink is now and vent it. That’s double your budget though. Keep saving.

• Related Discussions

rethinking budget, what would you do?

Q

Comments (19)
    again - how much $$$ are you looking to cut ??? It's very difficult to advise someone when you don't know what they are looking for. DO you need to save $500? $800 ? $5000 ? It makes a big difference. "because i read bad reviews about their other products before and i was not interested in their refrigerators after thatâ¦." You'd better cross Sub Zero off your list then too. They have bad reviews too. Ditto with Wolf. Same with BlueStar...... .....and Miele. You'd better just build in a fireplace in your kitchen and get on a perpetual ice run because EVERY SINGLE APPLIANCE CO. has bad reviews. Thermador's column refrigerators are arguably BETTER than Sub Zero's offering. SZ is almost 10 years late to the modular party with their columns that are just shipping now. BTW, I'm a SZ kinda person and have several. I'd stay away from Thermador's Ranges and Ovens, but their Fridges are just fine - even the regular built ins that are manuf. by a division of Whirlpool. Warming drawers are good too as are their dishwashers which are identical copies of Bosch units with a different silkscreen name. Customer service is more hit or miss - mainly miss should you need service. Especially compared to Wolf/SZ and Miele, but some people do just fine with them and there are unhappy folks with Miele and SZ too ! This post was edited by xedos on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 10:55
    ...See More

Appliance Budget -$15k. How to spend?

Q

Comments (5)
    I am in the process of doing a lot of research as well since we are about to break ground - I would look at the Wolf M Series single oven and matching convection MW (that piece does not come out until Q3 however - so no pricing out yet at least in the Transitional line), also looking at the 36 inch Platinum BS range top, ventahood hood, and the Miele dw - this set up for those pieces has me in the $12K range before any taxes, etc - so you should be able to pick out some nice pieces for your $15K budget given the limited number of pieces you are looking for. I am basing my prices on quotes from AJ Madison on some pieces and local retailer on others that Madison can not supply due to manufacturer agreements (Wolf)
    ...See More

What does a 10-15K kitchen reno look like

Q

Comments (31)
    mrs pete: why so negative, always? "As someone else said, IKEA's butcher block is really, really cheap. Yeah, it'll need replacing in five years or so (assuming real cooks live here)..." Wrong! We've lived with Ikea solid beech butcher block counters for more than ten years now and they're in perfectly good condition. And yes, both DH and I are serious cooks and we bake a lot too. (We oil them about twice or three times a year and do not cut on them, we use cutting boards). Well, we're soon starting a kitchen remodel, and we're planning to reuse them for our new island counter. All we'll do is a light sanding and oiling for that totally new kitchen look. The perimeter cabs will either have quartz or stainless steel. Ikea carries now also a veneered version of "butcher block", the usefulness of which must have its limits, but the one used in the OPs photo looks like they're the solid type like ours. At any rate, imho, it's much better looking than all those horridly busy overpriced stone counters that people keep putting in their kitchens. Haha, totally by coincidence, I've just received a text with photo from my daughter who's apartment hunting: the photo is of an expensive stone counter which was so offensively fleshy looking, she declined to rent the place. Her verdict: it would be like cooking on an oversized cold slab of raw meat..ugh! And she LOVES rocks (in nature), jeez she's a geologist! Bon appétit!
    ...See More

What would you do with 15k in this kitchen?

Q

Comments (47)
    I've always had simple kitchens I could make my own because they were not so great that I couldn't mess with them a bit:) I have sympathy with a kitchen which you don't feel reflects your style, but is too good to play around with - I mean if you painted or removed doors or anything like that you risk blowing a nice kitchen. You have a good layout. Look into the cost of simply changing out the cabinets you have for new cabinets. Donate the older cabinets to ReStore - they will be great for someone in need of decent cabinets. Many years ago I did this - just changed out cabinets and a new laminate countertop - kept appliances and layout. Your budget is much better than mine was and stone counters might be doable. Some will say a new kitchen cost X amount of dollars, but a lot depends on what part of the country you are in. Keeping the layout and appliances will save $$$$. I would loose the over the range micro though - not the style you want. I bought my present cabinets, made by Medallion, at a home center store 20 years ago and they are still in good shape. Many cabinet companies have different levels - don't get the lowest - look for dovetail joints in the drawers and sturdy construction. If your cabinets are standard size, replacing them with standard size cabinets but in your style might be doable - its not custom, which will save money. Check local cabinet makers too. One of my local cabinet makers is very reasonable.
    ...See More
  • phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here’s a sad little sketch. Looking to fix the stove situation and replace the vinyl and basically clean and freshen everything up. The room itself is about 15x14 so this sketch is certainly not to scale.

Was going to replace the brown vinyl with patterned tile and run it along the front of the built ins and the sink wall so it looks like runners and like it’s purposeful. I’ve seen some pics of this done and it looks like a neat vintage touch. No idea why this tile was installed here (100 yr old home). And don’t want to replace the entire floor.

Beyond that lots of paint and some shifts to sink size and cabinets on the sink wall to be able to move the range over a smidge and install a recirculating fan.

Current island and table will go and am looking to figure out an island with room for seating two. There’s a large dining room just off the kitchen so don’t need more seating than that here.

Wonder if there’s an old house forum here? This might be better suited there, where these small hodgepodge kitchens are more common.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    6 years ago

Hi Phamm,

Greetings from another oldie, our rowhouse was built in 1900!

LOVE your transom window!

How tall are your ceilings?

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

I would remove the wall between the kitchen and butler's pantry so you have a larger kitchen. If it is load bearing, replacing with a hidden beam to support the opening may eat the $15K, but overall, would be worth it, IMO. I would hate to schlep food from the fridge to the sink for prep. Getting those 2 work horses together would be a major focus for me, even it the wall stays put.

• phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

9 feet, Janie. Love our century old homes! And You understand, then ... the old “servants kitchen” is one of the downfalls of these old houses. But everything else rocks!

• phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Someone suggested one of those column fridges in the spot where the table is ... I’ve never seen them in person but love the idea!

• User
    6 years ago

But then you’d have to find equal room for a freezer. And you’ve shot your budget just on two appliances.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    6 years ago

When you say 15x14, you mean including the "butler's pantry" (which I assume is the area with your fridge), correct?

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    6 years ago

Go to this link and send a message to Buehl, she is FANTASTIC!

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/4306041/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first?n=264

• phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

15x 14 is just the main kitchen but it’s not a straight square ... butlers pantry is about 8 feet by 8 feet ... the wall that separates the two rooms is a back staircase leading to second floor and a stairwell leading to the basement ... not a viable option for us to combine the rooms

• acm
    6 years ago

I don't think she does -- I think it's 14 from sink to table wall. Look at all the stuff that's fitting now!

You have PLENTY of room for a real island, where you could add counter space and lots of deep drawers for pans and so forth, and seating on the far side. You could probably do that plus shelves over your current sink zone. If you do a real island's worth of cabinetry and countertop, plus some lights above to make it useful, you'll have spent a lot of your budget.

In an ideal world, your new island might include the sink and DW, in which case you'd have freedom to move the stove over and surround it with cooking storage. But that will depend on your labor costs for plumbing (water and gas) and what kind of foundation you're on -- it might not cost much more to make those big shifts than the smaller one(s) you were considering, since both require new plumbing work, as long as you have an open basement for accessing the pipes.

That's the reno I'd do -- no walls, keeping the built-ins, but making the main zone WAY more useful. You'll need some kitchen design help, and to use budget cabinets (I'd say Ikea, but that might be hard to match to the historic style of your other cabinetry), but it might just be possible with no new appliances. Get a sketch and then some estimates from contractors, and you'll know whether it's better to spend or save a bit longer.

phamm thanked acm
  • acm
    6 years ago

Waving hands over the measurements here. I'm giving you an island around 6' long and 3' across (to account for 12" for counter height stools). You can place your range anywhere along the wall, as long as the doors of DW and oven clear each other -- depends on whether you have two chefs (i.e,, need to use sink and cook top) at the same time often. There should be enough space for a good walkway on either side of island, and probably room for a hutch or other vertical set of shelves between the doorways (but not really your fridge, sorry).

I think the fridge used to be located at the far left end of the built-in zone. You might consider whether you could make the new range wall cabinetry a little shorter to leave space for your fridge to come back into the room in that spot, but it's also possible that space requires a premodern fridge size. Anyway, something to think about!

Anyway, without the sink, you're looking at like 3 base cabinets on the range wall, which isn't much, and maybe one small one (bank of drawers?) + sink base on island. Even at a few hundred per cabinet (real cabinets from a box store), that won't threaten the budget, as long as you can do the plumbing part and so forth for a decent amount. At worst, you put open shelves on either side of the hood or microwave over your range; at best, you get another 3-4 wall cabinets for that wall and you're done. It's going to take careful research and planning, but I think you might be able to do it. Good luck!

phamm thanked acm
  • acm
    6 years ago

(p.s.) when you're modernizing all the rest, you might consider having the ornamental scalloped moldings removed from your built-ins, unless you like a country feel (which your table and art wouldn't indicate). Will shave decades from their look. I'd leave the wooden counter top there for now, to save what could be a temptation to a pricey substitution (and because I think it looks really nice).

• mimimomy
    6 years ago

Oh my goodness! I love your kitchen and cabinets. I hope you're going to keep as many of those cabinets as you can. Paint will do wonders. I use the Sherwin Williams acrylic alkyd paint for the most incredible finish. You will be able to do wonders with the 15K!

The stove needs to be moved for sure :) I am going to look back at your drawings but first wanted to just say how cute this is!

phamm thanked mimimomy
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    6 years ago

Is there space to recess a fridge under the stairs?

• mimimomy
    6 years ago

Is your kitchen over a cellar or crawlspace? Is the stove currently on an outside wall?

If I had your built in cabinet wall, with the scallops, I would not change it at all, except to improve the mechanics... make sure the hinges are working properly, doors aligned, new drawer slides, etc. That is a priceless set of cabinets.

• phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kitchen is over a basement, mimimomy. Stove is adjacent to a mudroom ... the wall to the left of the stove, which leads to mudroom, is a brick wall; the wall behind the stove is the dining room where there’s original walnut wainscoting with a platerail; it runs about 3/4 way up the wall ... so we’re concerned about drilling into that back wall and ruining the dining room ... I’m assuming you’re asking to suggest outside ventilation?

• phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Definitely removing the scalloped trim from the built ins, @acm ... we will replace with basic trim that mimics the top of cabinets or doorframe

• phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Not enough room to recess the fridge, mama goose. Even if we reorient the access to the basement it would bump into fridge ... the back staircase going upstairs already juts into stairwell going into basement ... but I wonder if we can recess a slim pantry? That would open up some of the clearances (walkway from back staircase, walkway from butlers pantry, etc) to help us go with a longer island as some have suggested. I’m going to look into that!

• mimimomy
    6 years ago

Hi. Yes, was curious about that. When we got married we remodeled an old house (probably about the same age as yours). We didn't have the beautiful built-ins. So I was thinking of the feasibility of putting the range in an island, rather than moving your plumbing. We got a jennair-style (back then Amana made one at a far more reasonable price) downdraft range which worked great and didn't need an overhead fan. Of course, I see you have gas, so if you're sticking with that, I don't know how downdrafts work with gas :)

As you're over a basement, re-plumbing the sink shouldn't be too difficult.

It seems to me at any rate, that acm's island idea is a good one. You could add the sink and the dishwasher into the island and have room for at least 3 or 4 barstools.

If you put the frig and range on the wall where the range and sink are now, I think there would be adequate space. I'd go with a tall narrow cabinet about a foot wide that sits behind the window trim. I'd use a counter depth frig, then a run of counter, then the range, then maybe a foot of space to the right of the range.I think your remodel depends on what you want to accomplish. Are you trying to do this for resale, or because you want your daily life to be more convenient/better?

For me, there is one remodel that is all about resale.... then, there is another type that is all about what I love and how I want to live, and has very little to do with what is "in," although that doesn't mean I don't factor in things that will make it saleable.

What I've found is that if I do what I love, someone else will also love it.

Could you measure the line of cabinets from the window over to the right hand doorway (that I think goes into your dining room)?

• PRO
    SJS Interiors
    6 years ago
    It's always hard to make suggestions from pictures and without seeing the space. Wonder if the stove could go where you have your table now? Would give more prep room by the sink. Open shelving above the sink area would be nice. An island with seating could work. I would make it the length of the sink area. You could eliminate the table in the kitchen if you have seating at the island, especially if the stove will work there. Painting and new counters would freshen the space and as always, your personal touches that make it yours.
    phamm thanked SJS Interiors
  • Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

You need to save that 15K until you can do a proper job. Once you start doing things, the job will snowball and you will be spending 30K and still nowhere where you need to be. Especially as this is a very, very old house that will possibly need new insulation, wiring, plumbing, etc.

Read this first please....

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-dsvw-vd~4306041

Then read this....

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/things-you-added-or-removed-that-you-love-regret-in-your-kitchen-renov-dsvw-vd~4273188

phamm thanked Kathi Steele
  • phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The sink wall is 9 ft 10 inches @mimimomy. we’re looking to freshen it up and improve it for ourselves. This isn’t the forever house, but we likely won’t sell within five years either.

• phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, I understand @kathi. A total paint job and new floor tiles have to happen ... paint is chipping and the tiles are torn in some areas. It snowballs once I think about trying to improve the range situation (move it away from the window).

• mimimomy
    6 years ago

Hi phamm. So, a shallow 10" cabinet to fit behind the window trim.
    Can just be open shelving, or a broom closet, and just to bridge the gap
    so that you no longer have a stove against the window, and to allow
    door swing for the frig. Now, the frig, 36" (if keeping your current
    frig). This leaves you with 6'. If you leave 12" to the right of the
    stove (near the dining room door), you will have 2.5' between the frig
    and the stove. (I think... please check my math).

Put the sink and dishwasher in the island, have seating at the island.

A 30" frig would give you more counter space. You could keep your
    current stove and dishwasher for now. I'd probably update the sink to
    granite composite because Franke has an incredible huge single bowl the
    size of a double bowl but if your current sink is in good condition and
    you like it, you can always reuse it.

Do you like butcher block counters? If you do, they are a beautiful and economical
    alternative to all of the stone (also beautiful but decidedly more
    expensive :)

I guess I'm pretty optimistic that you can do a nice update and make your kitchen much more functional within your budget :)

phamm thanked mimimomy
  • phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you have any recos on a good source for butcher block, mimimomy? I’m hesitant to do them near a sink or stove though, worried about wear and cleanup ... but it’s a possibility for the built ins where there’s already a wood countertop (badly worn with nailed on trim pieces though),

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

ikea, floor and decor,,they have decent butcher blocks. want to really save? make one yourself from doug fir boards for about 200 bucks. (how to's all over Pinterest for the links).

you live near a big city? save more money and look on craigslist for appliances. you can find brand new with tiny dents or lightly used ones. also check on there for left over tile and flooring,,,remnants, wood, etc. great deals.

look into pre fab granite countertops. they cost about 350 for a 9'x22" piece. you will have to find a fabricator that will cut if for you. (unless you are handy and can do it your self).

I'd get some simple subway tile and tile that entire wall behind the stove and make my own wood shelving. again, get some 1x6 boards, cut, stain and float them on the wall.

phamm thanked Beth H. :
  • mimimomy
    6 years ago

Hi Phamm. We have gotten butcher block from both Ikea and Menards. Not sure where you live so I don't know if you have access to these. You will find lots of blogs using Ikea. Here is a photo of a historic house re-do using lots of Ikea products.

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/historic-ikea-kitchen-kitchen-phoenix-phvw-vp~367871[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/historic-ikea-kitchen-kitchen-phoenix-phvw-vp~367871)

I haven't used them, but some people have good experiences with Lumber Liquidators. There are also a surprising number of sources on the internet that will provide custom sizes.

For your built-ins, unless you're using that counter for food-related purposes, it may be you can continue to use the existing counter. I think it all depends on what level of "new" you want. I once "repurposed" a cherry dining table into countertops in my laundry. I didn't particularly care for the cherry (don't know why!) so I painted it with black chalkboard paint and coated with water based poly. It already had a nice beveled edge :)

A lot of people seem to use the ikea cabinet boxes as the structure of their kitchen, then finish up with custom doors/drawer fronts. The kitchen I'm currently remodeling, I plan to use Barker doors out of California (http://www.barkerdoor.com/) for doors/drawer fronts/drawer slides/hinges. My kitchen has a decent layout and I plan to use the existing frames which were custom built in the late 60's, primarily because I want a mechanical update (self-closing drawers, quiet close door hinges, etc). This will cost thousands less than replacing all of the original cabinet frames. I haven't used Barker doors yet, but I have seen many good reviews. I did email them a question regarding measurements, etc., and they responded within a day, which I thought was fantastic.

My husband wants to use butcherblock in this kitchen as well, because we've used it in two kitchens and really like it. We used an Ikea single bowl Domsjo apron front sink for one (the one in the link above I believe is the Domsjo double bowl sink), and a drop in granite composite sink in the other. We treated both regularly with mineral oil and have had zero problems with the butcherblock around the sink. A new piece of butcher block we are actually treating with walnut oil, as apparently it will actually harden the surface.

Sorry this is such a long post.

phamm thanked mimimomy
  • J G
    6 years ago

I love the builtin cabinets along the wall in the kitchen! It looks like a lovely house.

We are in the midst of renovating our 1920 kitchen with a separate refrigerator room.

I love old houses, but the kitchens can be a challenge. I would encourage you to look at the thread on how to ask for help and draw both the complete layout of your house and the kitchen with measurements. My guess from the picture is that the length of the wall between the stair door and the opening to the fridge room is much shorter than it appears in the picture.

If the window is to the mudroom, is covering over the window or raising it so it is above the counter an option?

The problem with old kitchens is that the costs that are not really DIY items run up quickly...if the basement is open it is not necessarily that moving the gas line to the stove that is high budget, but that you need to add ventilation and duct work. Has electrical been updated or are you still on knob and tube wiring?

Our kitchen is smaller, so to make the layout work we need to incorporate the fridge room into the house...and this means a steel beam to support two floors of brick house. You have a little more room to work with in your kitchen, but still have the problem that we had...a shortage of continuous walls to put workspace next to appliances.

I would think carefully about your budget...when we started our renovation we spent a lot of time thinking about what is an appropriate amount to spend on a house that is at our price point. There is a lot of benefit of reworking the kitchen to get the stove vented and off the wall, but that is going to be expensive.

• phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Pajarito, who did you source the base/box cabinetry from?

• mimimomy
    6 years ago

Is it necessary to vent a "standard" non-commercial gas range to the outdoors? If so, maybe it's more cost-effective to switch to an electric or induction range?

• Pajarito
    6 years ago

We had someone build them locally but was unable to the complete the job. The reason we had to order the custom size doors.

• phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hmm mimimomy, I do prefer gas but ... I don’t know the answer to that ... something to look into.

• User
    6 years ago

You should be venting every stove to the outdoors. It's not a matter of the heat source, it's a matter of getting rid of the odors and grease in the air. If you think you don't have grease in the air when you cook, take a look at your stove top. No grease?

phamm thanked User
  • phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Definitely grease, but we will have to either do a downdraft option or recirculating hood in here. Venting outdoors isn’t going to be feasible for us

• User
    6 years ago

My point was changing your heat source has nothing to do with venting.

phamm thanked User
  • mimimomy
    6 years ago

Venting to the outside is not generally a code requirement as far as I can tell *I am not an expert*. Where I live, even a recirculating hood isn't required, so long as you have a window that opens in the kitchen. Induction/electric ranges I haven't seen any requirements to vent to outside, but for gas, there seems to be a bit of a question... e.g. if you have a "commercial" style range vs. a "standard" gas range. So, the code requirements *might* be different for different heat sources where phamm lives.

Grease/fumes notwithstanding, I was wondering just about the code requirements for outside vent, as well the safety issue with gas. If there were more stringent requirements for gas, and venting to the outdoors isn't feasible, a move to electric/induction might be worthwhile.

I realize however that outside venting *may* provide better removal of odors/grease... although I think a lot of that depends on the distance to the outdoors as well as the capacity of the exhaust fan.

For what it's worth, the best outdoor venting I had was the downdraft. I think it captures the grease/fumes/steam before it has any opportunity to disperse. And it was a lot quieter that the over-the-cooktop hood I had installed for a through-the-roof scenario.

I have no problems using a recirculating hood now, as they have improved a lot, I prefer to do my cooking in the oven, and I don't use very much oil in cooking... but of course that is not the situation for everyone! When my current smoothtop electric cooktop dies, I am going to go with induction :) If you haven't watched the youtube videos of people putting newspapers/paper towels on the induction cooktop, deep frying food, then throwing the newspaper/paper towels away revealing a perfectly clean surface, you might want to!

• phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Looking into a downdraft ... I’ve heard mixed reviews on jenn air. Another person recommended Dacor, though I’ve not heard of them...

• phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So here’s an option based on above feedback and with some (likely imperfect) measurements done. It shows the dishwasher now under an island ... I’ve even toyed with the idea of an undercounter fridge in the adjacent cabinet in the island but I’m not sure it’s worth the expense. Also need to price everything out ... especially the cost of moving the dishwasher to the island (I’m hoping $500 or less). Any thoughts on the layout or what else could be done here? Is it worth moving the dishwasher to get that stove away from the window? Would you invest in an under counter fridge? The standard fridge is an adjacent butlers pantry that we won’t be renovating for now...

• User
    6 years ago

It’s super simple to vent to the exterior with the range on the wall that it is currently. The pipe merely needs to make a single 90 degree turn and run through the top shelf of a tall cabinet to the exterior. It’s shirt and easy.

Not venting is just gross. Smelly fish and cabbage lingering for days along with the grease and steam carried into your soft furnishings. Yuck.

• phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

To clarify, we’re considering adding in the island ... we have a small freestanding one at the moment. The idea of the island was to fit in two bar stools and to pull the DW off the back wall, where it’s currently located. I know outdoor venting is ideal but a contractor told me we’d need two bends to get it outdoors and that would significantly decrease the effectiveness; it would also require drilling through 12 inch brick wall and original walnut wainscoting that is on the other side of the wall. I’ve lived with recirculating fans in a condo; am told Downdrafting is a bit better than that. Looking into recos for a downdraft oven.

• phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I thought of moving the sink to the island but we don’t have space to move the sink and also get 12 inches of countertop on either side; that would interfere with the side door and pathways. Same issue when considering the range. So dishwasher seemed most viable option. @sophie, maybe I need to bring someone else in to look at external venting situation ... just scared someone will destroy the dining room woodwork on the other side; it’s beautiful.

• User
    6 years ago

Downdraft is useless. A serious waste of money that could go to the much more effective overhead venting. One bend and straight through the wall is all it takes. Converting from round to square is easy. And space saving. Done this hundreds of times. If not thousands.

The sink needs to go under the window. Look at Casey’s remodel for inspiration for that. You need an L shape and small island.

• phamm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The window wall isn’t an exterior wall so it needs a second bend to vent out the mudroom properly, otherwise it would vent onto the back stairs. This is the other side of range wall. I like the l-shaped countertop idea but it would mean replacing the window ... isn’t that a huge deal in an old house like this, with 12 inch brick walls, plus redoing frame and trim etc?

• User
    6 years ago

If it’s not an exterior window, then it doesn’t need to be a window. The window itself can be removed. Then the space can be a pass through with a millwork panel fill in on the other side that coordinates with the home’s other millwork. Easy. Venting through the ceiling joists in a flat duct straight to the exterior is easy, but involves some demo and plaster repair. You need to find out which way your joists run.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022