SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazzamina

Help - what to do with my fireplace??

jazzamina
6 years ago

Hi all,

I am doing a major remodel on a small home in the mountains. We are keeping the original fireplace and converting it from wood-burning to a gas insert. It originally had a big, heavy brick hearth but we jack-hammered that off and also the brick mantle that stuck out at the top (it was too high). So, it will be a smooth face when we're done, from ceiling to floor, and it sticks into the room about 4 inches. The first two photos are before we added drywall up to the ceiling; the third photo (sorry about the drywall boards stacked in front of it) shows it after we added the drywall above.

I plan on doing some treatment all the way to the ceiling and adding a thick, reclaimed wood mantle. I'm waiting to hear from the gas-insert installer if we need to have a hearth; if we do, I'll put some kind of thin hearth that is flush with the wood floor around it. This is an open area, with kitchen, dining area and family room all in one space. Because of the layout, the dining table will have to be in front of this fireplace so I want the floor (hearth to wood flooring) to be flush so people can scoot their chairs back and not hit the lip of a hearth.

Question is - what shall I face this sucker with?? I originally thought porcelain tiles, but then I went to a local stone yard and stone is now an option. Also, I could just stucco it. Because we're in the mountains, the vibe of the house is "Pottery Barn rustic". The doors, windows and trim will all be stained and I have natural cherry cabinets in the kitchen with black leathered granite countertops. (in the second photo, I'm taking the photo from the kitchen area; when I took these photos it was still an empty space. Ha, everything is still in progress but we're getting there and a decision on the fireplace needs to be made soon!).

I've been reading some threads on houzz and you all have great ideas so I'm tapping the houzz community's creative juices - any suggestions?

Comments (12)