SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Engineered Stone Heat Crack

Joseph Corlett, LLC
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This homeowner sat a hot pan on her Cambria preparing Thanksgiving dinner, heard a loud snap, and found this crack. It doesn't go all the way through and the left side is higher than the right which is why it's catching the crud and showing up so much.

She'll send me written acknowledgement that the top is ruined before I'll attempt any repair.

The chip on the left was re-glued by the builder; it's no longer on the same plane as the top so it reflects the light differently. That drives me crazy, but she didn't notice until I pointed it out. She did the one on the right recently. There are additional chew marks. I suggested removing the faucet and disposal switch, re-profiling the edge and polishing. They're thinking it over.

I'm not picking on Cambria; no hot pans on any estone ever. Not for a second.

No pencil edge profiles at sinks, I don't care what look you or your designer want.

If I can't play with that crack and get it better, she'll have to have the left side of the cooktop top replaced. I won't do it for less than 2K, payable in advance. Stoneguard would provide some heat protection and fix it for a grand, but the finish won't match the island.

You have been warned.

Comments (32)