SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
form6

new Song of India plant - repot?

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I bought this Song of India plant two weeks (13 days) ago. I placed it near a north-facing window in my sunroom where there's a fair bit of light coming in from the south and west as well. Temps in the room have been ranging from ~60 - 70F and I'd estimate the humidity to be ~20 (so fairly dry in here).

I read that these plants like water so I've been diligently checking the soil every day, and it is STILL moderately moist in the center and bottom. I use a moisture probe but can also tell from what sticks to it that the soil's getting drier but is still a bit damp. It came this wet, and I have yet to water it.

So... do I just let it do it's thing in this pot for a while and only water when it's close to dry, or should I repot right away? It's clearly been thriving as is, but not sure how sustainable this set-up is if it never dries out. I had planned to repot in a gritty mixture in the spring with the expectation that I would have to water every 2-3 days, but am questioning that approach. Thoughts?

Comments (5)