SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kkonet2

Bluestar 36” RNB – 16 months later…..

Packer Backer
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

It’s been 16 months since we first installed our 36” Bluestar RNB range, and I’m happy to say that we still love it. Ours has four burners (two 22k, one 15k, and one 9k), and a griddle in the center. We also opted for the tall stainless backsplash with a shelf. In the past 16 months, we’ve used the cook top extensively, and have had ample opportunities for some real world use with the griddle and the oven. So now that we’ve gained some solid experience with it, I thought I’d share our impressions.

The burners are phenomenal – the 22k burners are real fire-breathers, and I can’t imagine needing anything more powerful. The star shaped burners spread heat evenly. You can sear meat with amazing intensity and precision, and you can boil a pot of water noticeably faster than you can with many other ranges. When it comes to boiling water, induction burners are still the champ but overall I much prefer good, old fashioned gas burners. I should advise that proper ventilation is a must, as the amount of heat and smoke that these burners can generate is substantial when the burners are cranking. The simmer burner works extremely well, assuming it’s been properly adjusted during installation. It generates a very low and steady heat; it can be set so low that it barely melts butter. The grates can be reversed so as to serve as a wok ring, and they can also be rotated to raise the pot a bit higher above the flame for greater heat control.

We’ve used the griddle maybe a dozen times and have found that it works very well once it’s been preheated for at least 20 minutes. The installer recommended limiting the heat setting for the griddle to 325 degrees for some reason. 325 degrees is a bit low and we find that 350 degrees works much better. The slightly higher heat hasn’t caused any problems. Using the griddle can make a bit of a splatter mess on nearby burners and the backsplash so clean up can get a bit involved but it’s not a big deal.

The oven cavity on the 36” range is larger than the other ovens offered by Bluestar. The installer mentioned that many people have problems with uneven baking because they don’t preheat their oven long enough to allow the heat to thoroughly permeate the walls of the oven cavity. He recommended that we preheat our oven cavity at least 35 minutes prior to use. We’ve been doing that and it seems to work quite well. We’ve used the oven to cook a few pizzas, roast and broil meats, bake casseroles, proof and bake breads, and bake cookies. Once properly preheated, this oven works better than any oven we’ve ever used. Gas ovens create a moist heat, and this oven absolutely excels at roasting meats and baking pizzas. It also bakes bread and cookies beautifully. Our holiday cookies and breads all turned out perfectly, regardless of where they were located in the oven. The convection feature circulates heat evenly and reduces cooking time by about 20%. The broiler also gets very hot and works great, though it is a bit smaller than I’d expect considering the size of the oven cavity. It’s also worth noting that the oven dial markings are well calibrated to the actual oven temperatures. Turn the dial to 325 and in 35 minutes, your oven cavity very close to 325 degrees. The oven racks are heavy and very solid. The RNB range comes with one standard rack and one rolling rack. We purchased a second rolling rack because they work so well. I highly recommend them, particularly if you cook large, heavy items such as prime rib roasts, turkeys, etc.

Keeping the burners and griddle clean is a snap. Compared to the sealed burners on our previous range, the open burners on the Bluestar range are much easier to keep clean; just let them cool down and give them a quick wipe with a damp rag. Crusted debris from boiled over foods and spills comes off with just a little wiping with a damp rag or a green scrub pad. The griddle is easy to clean if it’s still hot. Just add some water, let it loosen the debris, scrape it off, and wipe it down with a damp rag. The debris can be wiped off or pushed into a hole in front of the griddle to the drip tray located below. The hardest part about cleaning is keeping the stainless clean and streak free. But a little hot soapy water and some stainless steel cleaner makes the chore pretty easy. Our backsplash discolored near the rear of the griddle, but we found that a damp rag and a bit of Bar Keepers Friend took care of that. As for the oven, it doesn’t have an auto cleaning mode so we still use an old-fashioned can of EZ Off to keep it clean.

The convection fan in the oven can be heard plainly but we haven’t found it to be a problem. The oven door hinges work fine and the outside of the oven door barely gets warm. The oven window is nice and large. The only sharp edges I’ve found are located under the burners and can't be seen unless the burners have been completely removed.

We did have one service issue after 8 months. A gas valve started leaking into the oven cavity. It was covered under warranty and Bluestar customer service was pretty good to work with. It took a week for the part to arrive from Bluestar and a few more days for the repair folks to get it installed. Once it was repaired, we haven’t had any other problems with the range. The burner igniters have also survived a few boil-overs and haven’t cracked.

Lastly, I should mention the tall backsplash. It looks great and the shelf is very handy. The bottom of the backsplash is attached to the back of the range and is sturdy enough but isn’t rock-solid. It wiggles a bit when you push on it while cleaning but it looks great, works well, and is plenty functional. We’d definitely go this route again.

This range is a cooking machine. It’s very simple and has no electronics to become obsolete or burn out. It doesn’t even have a clock or a timer. Every part of the range is easily accessible should repair ever become necessary, and any commercial appliance repair person can work on it.

At this point, we’d buy another one again without hesitation.

Comments (30)