SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gthigpen

How much space do I need between wall and fridge to open it fully?

gthigpen
6 years ago

Not a kitchen dilemma, but thought I'd ask here since it applies to a refrigerator.

We have an extra fridge/freezer in our laundry room. Not used terribly often, but we keep our bulk drinks and any oversized items that are taking up too much space in the kitchen fridge (party platters, etc). We moved into the house in mid-September and are now about to order our laundry cabinets. Everything is plumbed so no moving our W/D or sink. Fridge was also plumbed in cased we wanted to hook it up to water to make ice. Water line is near the corner. For that and other reasons (dog bowl location, clearance in walking around another open corner, etc), we want to put the fridge in this inside corner.

It's a french door fridge. In order to open the doors enough to slide out any drawers, how much filler will I need between wall and fridge? It's a fairly large laundry room with plenty of room for cabinets, so I'm not concerned with losing a few inches. I'm more concerned with function of the fridge and being able to open it the way it's supposed to.

Here's a view from our architect's drawings. The desired fridge location is the blue box (not to scale). Any guidance?

Comments (4)