SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ssmithson10

Kitchen Update - Cabinet Trends

ssmithson10
6 years ago

Doing a kitchen remodel. Looking at a white/gray quartz counter top, gray glass Arabesque lantern tile back splash, dark espresso floors. Can I do gray for my bottom cabinets and white for the top cabinets? Is this a cabinet trend that will quickly go out of style? Should I stick with all white or gray?

Comments (33)

• chispa
    6 years ago

You have quite a few trends in your plan. As much as I love the Arabesque tiles (and I have used it in a bathroom before it was a trend) once something can be purchased at Home Depot, you know it has become a mass market trend.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Everything you listed is so 2016. And sliding down, down, down. Trending up is natural wood and colors inspired from Nature.

• Related Discussions

Is the gray walls and white kitchen cabinets trend still on?

Q

Comments (30)
    Hi Kate, We live in NYC area, go to several open houses a month, many are multi million dollar properties. On this end the answer is "no." Grey is very popular here and sends a mental note to perspective buyers that the property has been updated. Anything that is beige screams "builder" and all white walls translates to "landlord-rental paint" Currently, buyers here shudder at anything in the orangy-red colors. I've heard countless people mumble at open houses "we'd have to redo the floors" when presented with outdated, bright orangey colored wood floors. White kitchens and subway tile is received with relief and enthusiasm. Having said that, "grey" comes in so many different shades that it's easy for everyone to find one they like. Agree with everyone above though, find what you like and go with it! We have lots of grey in our home and love it, but our grey is in paint only and at that, on accent walls. I could easily have it changed in a heartbeat.
    ...See More

New Trend: Have you ever seen this material as kitchen cabinet door?

Q

Comments (3)
    Not gonna happen. Too heavy. Chips like crazy. Just like the porcelain large format counters do. Laminate remains the gold standard for durability for slab door cabinets everywhere.
    ...See More

Kitchen Trends 1) diff island base color & 2) brass v. stainless pulls

Q

Comments (7)
    @Jenny, the faucet is a Brizo Artesso. Less expensive than the Rohl but just as pretty, IMO. You could mix the metals, since--as you see above--we're doing stainless appliances with the brass hardware/faucets. Alternatively, you could see if you could take your lighting fixtures to a lighting repair place to see if they would swap out the chain for you, assuming that's the only part that's metal.
    ...See More

Mixing stained and white cabinets in kitchen update

Q

Comments (24)
    IMO start with changing the lighting to all LED 4000K bulbs then see what might work IMO the pics you show of mixed wood and painted cabinets IMO look off , I happen to love UbaTuba granite but it does not play well with white IMO.I find the dark crown really off putting and stop before you make a mistake you will regret. I guess that Tuscan feel is everywhere that I see . I really dislike the blue and stark white in the DR nex to the warm wood in the kitchen I guess I would paint the DR a more pale green to work with the granite in the kitchen and also with the dining table I find that stark white trim sort of off by itself with no regard for the surrounding areas. If you want to do something in the kitchen alone I think the drk crown needs to match the cabinets or do it to mach the walls,A new backspalsh will do wonders .
    ...See More
  • Godswood
    6 years ago

Kitchen design magazines and articles I was reading just yesterday clearly stated to me that white kitchens were on their way out in favor of natural woods, greens, and navys. Navy and green can both be a neutral or a pop of color depending what surrounds them. Greys in general in home decor is also on its way out.

As far as your choices, if you love this design and truly want these colors and materials in your kitchen regardless of trends go for it. They aren't terrible choices, they are just on their way out for what is hot now. They will be back in rotation at some point and then you will have the added touch of the vintage trendy too, provided you choose lasting materials and don't skimp on quality.

Think of all those honey oak people holding out... it will be back at some point.

• mark_rachel
    6 years ago

Pick what you like, not what is "trendy". As to your question, yes it will all go out of style.

• friedajune
    6 years ago

"dark espresso floors"

Dark floors are impractical in a kitchen. Every little crumb will show. Your floor will always look like you haven't vacuumed, even if you just vacuumed yesterday. One toast crumb on the ground will look like a boulder against dark kitchen floors.

• stillpitpat
    6 years ago

Godswood - that's interesting. My kitchen will have natural birch and navy (plus white), and I already have many small splashes of bright green I will continue to use (kitchen tools, fruit bowl, etc). So maybe my kitchen will be trendy. Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about that.

• H202
    6 years ago

The arabesque tile and two tone cabinets are trends right out of 2014 (HGTV was saturated with it in 2014-16). While i agree with others on the general principle that you should pick what you like and not worry if you get something trendy or not, I would avoid actively picking something that was as trend and is in the process of becoming a non-trend. My guess is ssmithson10 likes this kitchen precisely because this style has been all over the place. It's one thing to design a kitchen that's not trendy. It's another thing to do a kitchen in last year's trend. The former can be your personal style. The latter just looks out of date in 5 years.

• User
    6 years ago

If you want to be on the cutting edge of a trend, do natural bamboo slab cabinets with a green recycled glass countertop and slate or terrazzo tiled floors. It’s light, natural, green in more ways than one, and low maintenance to live with. That is the Next Big Trend. Functionality and some environmental responsibility combined.

• User
    6 years ago

One or 2 trendy items in a kitchen might not date it, but ALL or many trendy items will. But everything comes and goes; "They" make sure of that to keep our $$ circulating. BTW, white kitchens are not "out". They're popular now, have been for many decades & will continue to be. There are practical reasons for choices too...e.g. a dark kitchen screams for light/white cabs. Try not to fall for too many trends because you'll be ripping out that gray/white kitchen in a few years! The only specific thing I'll comment on are your expresso floors. Do not go there unless you have live in help. It's bad enough in rooms where crumbs and messes don't live! Every little crumb, every spec of dust will show and you will rue the day you went with THAT trend.

• stillpitpat
    6 years ago

Sophie, that sounds beautiful!

• mommyniki
    6 years ago

The whole “it’s a trend and going out” thing is driving me crazy! If you really like something then use it! If you love the arabesque tiles, then use them. I keep reading “pros” on here saying to not get a grey floor because it’s “going out”. Well, it’s only going out if you are picking it because you want to have the latest and greatest. But for those (me included) who don’t like brown wood or paint or warm tones in general, the grey wood is perfect. But I wouldn’t get it because it’s trendy, it’s what I like. White cabinets are a classic. I would suggest not to use grey cabinets and countertops because they’ll all blend together, even if ones a little darker. I think there needs to be more contrast. I also agree with others about the dark floor being hard to keep clean but if it’s what you really want and are willing to do the work then go for it.

• Jilly Belle
    6 years ago

I agree not to worry about the trend factor too much. However, you have a lot going on already. I would stick to all one color for the cabinets, preferably white if you have a gray backsplash.

As far as the dark floors are concerned, if something looks dirty, it is dirty. I had dark floors in my previous home and it made me a better housekeeper :)

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I keep reading “pros” on here saying to not get a grey floor because it’s “going out”. Well, it’s only going out if you are picking it because you want to have the latest and greatest.

See that's the problem though. Too many like or want something because they see it over and over to the point they start liking it, even if it wouldn't have been on their radar 10 years prior.

Take for example the trend towards gray. Ten years ago, if you asked most people if they wanted gray cabinets, gray floors and gray walls, they would have all looked at you in horror and exclaimed how "cold" that looked. Restoration Hardware was one of the first with the gray trend and everyone I spoke with thought it looked gray and dreary. They all wanted beige. Now so many of them have gray. Now no one wants beige because beige is supposedly dated.

The powers that be tend to set trends to get us all to buy into new and "better" and when we go with the trends, we have to continually update to keep up. When you go with what you truly love though, you'll outlast the trend. That not only goes with colors but also with style trends.

My mother loved peaches/blues/and autumn colors. When she moved into the house in 1983, that's the colors she used. Her house was sold in 2015 and the main rooms still looked fresh and "new" just because they hadn't been decorated in the latest and greatest colors or style trends. The rooms looked timeless and classic. Yes, her kitchen (with the tile countertop and older appliances) and her bathrooms (again with older tiles and the raised jacuzzi tub) looked dated, but not the rest of the house.

Absolutely get what you LOVE, but be sure you truly love it and aren't doing it because it's what looks hot now. If you've always loved grays, then absolutely do grays. If you've always loved blues, do blues. If you do what you love and do it to work with your style of house, it will always withstand the test of time.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

As far as the dark floors are concerned, if something looks dirty, it is dirty. I had dark floors in my previous home and it made me a better housekeeper :)

Actually our dark floors showed not only specks of dirt and dust but also footprints if we walked in socks. There were constant footprints from the dog. Don't go with a dark floor.

• kariyava
    6 years ago

With your other choices I would choose all white to avoid too much gray.

• zorroslw1
    6 years ago

I have never liked two toned kitchens. It breaks the flow and It's like "I couldn't make up my mind so I got some of each".

• bubblyjock
    6 years ago

According to Ottawa's top kitchen designer, two-tone kitchens are heading out of style, fwiw! Or so I just read in the Ottawa Citizen, so it must be true. ;)

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/meet-friedemann-weinhardt-award-winning-designer-is-not-swayed-by-trends

• kelleg69
    6 years ago

This is so hard b/c pretty much everything becomes dated. I love white cabinets and have had them in my last three houses (1999-2009, 09-16 and 16-now). I designed the last two kitchens. I also put white painted cabinets in a Florida condo. I think if you do painted cabinets and a Shaker style, they should stand the test of time. At least with painted, you could repaint a different color. The backsplash can definitely get dated fast. I think the big trend that will look dated very soon is the brass/gold in faucets, knobs, etc. Think about the "brushed brass" that was in about 20 years ago--I have a friend who has that in a house she built back then. Then it was the bright brass that everyone wants to get rid of...I guess you really have to go with your gut and what you like.

One more thing about white cabinets. I read an article about a chef about 10-15 years ago. She said she always likes white cabinets b/c they are "clean." If you think about it, restaurants often have white tablecloths and white plates. A good background for food.

I did put arabesque tiles on my backsplash--in the accent behind range.I like them, but I do agree, that they they will be "dated." It is funny, I watch a lot of House Hunters and renovation shows and they often joke about the dated tile. Often the tile is a large honeycomb shape or a crazy pattern. Well, honeycomb is in and cement tiles are in. I love the cement tiles, but think those patterns will be dated in a few years and people will say, "How could they have done this hideous pattern (color)?" Good luck. Find pics of what you like . Look at design magazines. I still have an inspiration kitchen pic that is from Traditional Home mag from about 10 years ago. I still like it. Sorry for the long, rambling answer!

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Are you planning on remodeling your kitchen every time a new "trend" is identified?

Probably not, right? So put in colors and styles that YOU like. Something you can envision waking up and looking at, and loving, every morning. Stop thinking "trends" and start thinking - what is it that you love?

• blfenton
    6 years ago

Do you even like grey? Do you wear grey? Do you like colour? If you go with your current idea there is no colour and if you are one who really loves colour you will not be satisfied with adding it through accessories.

Yes, put in the latest ideas for function, things such as all drawers, lots of good lighting and a really, really good plan which is key. But the rest of it, put in what you really like, not what you thing your friends and neighbours will gush over.

• rebeccamomof123
    6 years ago

I don't care for two-toned kitchens, trend or otherwise. I feel that a kitchen (even the most minimalist) already has so much going on, it just adds to the noise. I am not going to resurrect the whole, "are white kitchen going to out of style" debate because there are many on here, myself included, that will argue that white kitchens have always been around and those that love them, love them regardless of being on trend or not.

But I will say that grey is definitely to the 20teens, what hunter green was to the 90's. Do you really love grey? Have you always loved grey? If you can answer yes, then go for it! If you have hesitation, then I wouldn't go with any of your permanent materials in grey. You are suggesting white/grey counters, grey backslash and grey lower cabs with a dark floor? Have you looked at inspiration pics with that configuration? Grey is very difficult to design around, messes with lighting and overall looks downright bleak without direct sunlight. How much direct sunlight does your space get? What are you thinking for wall color with all that grey?

FWIW, I went with a greige 'sandstone' subway backsplash in 2012 and I'm glad it reads both grey and taupey/beige so I can still decorate with beige and neutrals and not just be stuck in the cool grey zone. Something to consider.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

I agree with the above.

"white kitchens have always been around and those that love them, love them regardless of being on trend or not."

Yup.

" Do you really love grey? Have you always loved grey? If you can answer yes, then go for it!"

Times 1000. I personally have always loved the softness and neutrality of gray. As well as white and black. I've simply never been in a position to do anything to my kitchen, before recently. Never painted, tiled, changed a THING, in any kitchen I have ever lived with ( it's only been three), but all three of those kitchens were basically stained wood. Everywhere. Orangey, yellowy, reddish, woody tones. And each kitchen contained more "woodiness" than the previous one. Honestly, I loved the layout and size of the kitchen when I bought the house 20 years ago, but my young son was my priority, and frankly kitchen colors were at the very bottom of my "what I care about" bucket. I had awful country-ish pink-hearts wallpaper, on every wall in my kitchen and dining room - it was overwhelming and I hated it, but there was so so much of it, I just lived with it. It was too much money to pay to have someone else do it, and I just didn't want the mess and frustration and time, of doing it myself. So when I got the "wild hair" last year, I knew the woody color tones had to go.

Did I look at photos of other kitchens for ideas? You betcha. Visited many model homes ( which honestly I did not like most of). Pored over hundreds of images on Houzz, spend hours on Pinterest, and flipped though magazines. I've seen beautiful kitchens in all sorts of colors, some with stained wood and some without. But the ones that struck me as "THAT is what I would love to walk into every day" tended to be mostly white. Cool crisp and bright - exactly what I had never had, and incorporating a beautiful soft gray was just a no-brainer for me. Did it matter that gray seemed to be called out as a "trend"? Heck no. It just gave me more ideas since there were more options being presented.

Mine still is not finished, but it's close enough that I sometimes just stand at the door and look at it. I love it. Every single time I walk in there.

That is what you need to aim for.

• mommyniki
    6 years ago

I wouldn’t exactly say hunter green and grey are in the same category. One is a neutral and the other is far from it. Grey can have just about any other color put with it to change up the look. Hunter green, not so much.

But you brought up a good point about the being stuck in the cool zone. That is all personal preference. I am not a warm tone person so I really like grey, not beige. But my sister is completely opposite and doesn’t like grey and prefers beige. So no matter how we decorate it will not be something the other would want.

• oliviag55
    6 years ago
    fwiw, I'm not sure I can love " trends." I always look for what I love, and I love a number of historical periods.
    white kitchens have been around pretty much since we've had kitchens, along with natural wood
    I chose white. I'm not going anywhere...
    I also chose huge backsplash tile, to minimize grout lines and visual disruption. its porcelain, looks like fossil stone. easy on the eyes. if someone else hates it in ten, twenty, or thirty years when I am elsewhere, ok. easy to clean. easy to look at. I'm all good.
  • oliviag55
    6 years ago
    tile goes countertop to ceiling.
  • 3katz4me
    6 years ago

In my experience the best way not to have a dated kitchen is not to pick what everyone else is getting at the moment. When we redid our kitchen about twelve years ago I chose what I liked and what blended seamlessly with the rest of my 35 year old house. I completely disregarded what everyone else was choosing at the time (even though I was on this forum most of my waking hours). Dark stained QSO shaker cabinets (shaker wasn't popular then), mostly light Corian (passe at the time) with granite island and cooktop, etc.

When we sold our house a couple years ago it was the kitchen that sold it and there was nothing dated about it - it just didn't have a look associated with any particular time period.

• H202
    6 years ago

Agree with 3katz4me. I think everyone above getting worked up about "you shouldn't worry about trends! Just do what you like!" is missing the point: The original poster described a kitchen that was line-for-line a list of the hottest trends in 2015. As someone else said above: there's no way they just happen to like all of those things in a vacuum. The original poster is clearly being heavily influenced by trends; it's just that they're new to this game, so they don't realize it. It's statistically improbable that their "love" kitchen, for now and all time, just happens to include the most overused trends of 3 years ago. And doesn't include anything else. I am all for people doing whatever they like in their kitchen. I just think the original poster's list of loves has less to do with what they like in an objective sense, and more to do with what they like of the things they have been bombarded by on houzz. Which is bound to change in 3 years. Either way, the kitchen the original poster described will look painfully dated in 5 years (only because there is not a single un-trendy thing in it). If it's your dream, love of your life kitchen: Power to you. But i'm saying it's highly improbable. In which case, you end up stuck with a dated kitchen that you're no longer in love with.

• zippity1
    6 years ago

5 years ago 5 of our friends (all retired couples) built new homes in the same large subdivision, 4 of the couples are already wishing for decor other than what they have, from paint colors to lighting fixtures to floors all of the things they'd like to replace were current trends at the time.....make sure that what u use is what you like and not what you're seeing everywhere.....

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

Yes totally agree to do what you love, but it's useful to have some context of where your plan sits in the trend cycle.

• kidshop
    6 years ago

I am doing white perimeter and grey stained island cabinets. I love grey! My first house bought in 1998 and built in 1992 was the only house I saw that had grey, in the paint, the cabs and the carpets. No beige anywhere!!!! It was lovely. When the fridge line broke and flooded the house I re did that kitchen the same. I found the original cabinet maker for the stain.

I do think all grey is too dark for this kitchen, since it is in the center of the house and I believe the white is classic and timeless. I do like white and cream kitchens too. I don't like it b/c HGTV says to, I just love the combination and I always have. My current house came with dark wood floors which I do like so I am keeping too.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I do think all grey is too dark for this kitchen, since it is in the center of the house and I believe the white is classic and timeless. I do like white and cream kitchens too. I don't like it b/c HGTV says to, I just love the combination and I always have.

This is what we're saying. Kidshop loves grey so kidshop should use grey.

In the condo I sold, I used BM Manchester Tan for the walls with accents of green, particularly Bm Fernwood Green. In my new build I'm using Manchester Tan in the hallways with Fernwood Green on the ceilings. In the living/dining/kitchen, I'm using Manchester Tan on the ceiling and Fernwood Green on the walls.

I don't give a hoot if those colors are trendy or not. They are colors that make me happy and that's what I'm using.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

love this discussion and comments

not much to add except:

-glass backsplash. Make sure it's a good quality glass. Arabesque tiles(or lantern..not sure what exact shape you're talking about) are lovely..I have lantern tiles myself(flooring)..have star and cross mosaic too. But. The house is Spanish ranch..the pattern will always look right because used in the right context. It's also handmade-adds a lot to a cost but adds a lot to a feel too. The beauty of more elaborate tiles and shapes lies partially in the fact that somebody made them, worked on them with his own hands..we attribute to these traditional shapes, mentally, all the centuries long old craftsmanship involved. If you just take the shape, and machine cuts it-to me, three quarters of charm is gone. With simple tile, I don't always expect it to be handmade(even though it will be better for it too)-for traditional shape, it will have a staying power where it's made accordingly and goes with the overall style of the house.

I've no idea which tile you're using and what's your house style, you might have taken it into account hundred times already, and it will turn out great and will have said staying power. I just wanted to point out that if you're looking for staying power-it's never just a color X. Every color can be warmer, colder, your more preferred color, your less preferred color, used beautifully, used badly..it's a combination of colors, textures, and even ideas behind these if I can say so, that determines the main feel. And it's the main feel you're after. It should be yours, and it should be your house's too, because every house has its own character and stands in a certain location and is unlike others. Take your house into account. Take your own loves into account. Don't take strangers from HGTV into account-they might live in Toronto, and you, in Hawaii. Whatever they see as timeless won't be timeless to you. Listen to your heart and to your house and the place it stands.

(btw I do have as many of you know greige cabinets)) and I have off whites and greiges and tans and purples and greens and taupes only on my walls..and I don't care for trends unless they show me another great combo to love-I never stop loving a color, I can only start loving one color more..)) As long as one keeps to some similarity (I do tend to go for warmer shades of every color out there, unless it's very small touches)-one can love as many colors as he wishes. As long as one minds texture of the things and understands balance-one can love as few colors as one wishes. It all can be beautiful. If thought out well-it will be)

Dark floors are hard to keep clean. Yep. Having said that-my own floors are medium leaning dark and I just love the grain and color too much(it's reddish walnut) and I know it's soft, and it gets dusty, and it's a PITA-well ok..I didn't find the flooring that I'd like better, at least not for this specific house of ours.

Also all my childhood we had this gorgeous parquet (probably oak) and it was as white oak is, and still had to slave over it each day. Some people get very irritated with dirty flooring. I guess I'm one of these people. Lol. I tried not to be, but I am. If I didn't wipe the floor it's because I'm running a fever or something. And would be the same if was lighter. Had lighter speckled tiles for many years too..same thing.

I have this cleaning thing, but with some weird selectivity. Some drive me crazy, can't rest. Some, I'm fine with. Floors, counters-drive me crazy. Need all my will power in public restrooms btw..and even there, I sometimes kinda try to clean LOL

Anyway. That's interesting how I went from just enjoying reading everybody's comments to writing this long redundant post..)) Sorry..

Whatever you decide I wish you huge luck

And. If you want really helpful suggestions..plan matters, space matters..post a plan of your kitchen, pictures if you can..some spaces can handle two toned cabinets, some, not really..some backsplashes will take elaborate shapes better than others..etcetera etcetera. Right now, it's very theoretical discussion.