SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandyslopes

Photos have gotten smaller

I still see the same size in the original post, but as I scroll down the photos are small. Before yesterday I only needed to click on a photo if I really wanted to see a bit of an enlargement for a sharpened detail. Now I need to click on EVERY. SINGLE. PHOTO. just to be able to take a good look. Is this happening to anyone else? I don't like it.

Comments (60)

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

I'm using my laptop, with Chrome, and it all looks nornal to me.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked windymess z6a KC, Ks
  • don_in_colorado
    6 years ago

Using Explorer browser on my PC. No changes here.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked don_in_colorado
  • Related Discussions

My strawberries have gotten smaller??!

Q

Comments (2)
    Ravi: The first flush of strawberries are always the largest. After that, they all begin to produce smaller berries, especially when the weather heats up. It will do no good to feed with fish emulsion or anything else since it is normal behavior for strawberry plants. Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA
    ...See More

Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?

Q

Comments (16)
    Showing -10F here this weekend. Nothing for around here, but still cold. I think our coldest temp this winter was around -14F. Usually we get a -20F ... hopefully we sneak by without that happening. My fruit trees will have a much better bloom. Last year was nasty. I ended up with 1 ! sweet cherry ... Snow falling now. Noticed how warm it has been out west. South Dakota (Black Hills) have seen temps in the mid 70Fs several times this year already. Amazing warmth. Phoenix has been in the 80Fs for the past week or so and the extended keeps them in the 80Fs... Hot west, Cold east... back and forth in the middle (here).
    ...See More

Just when I said I have never gotten a tomato hornworm....

Q

Comments (15)
    Triple, ever since the first day I ever planted anything (a rose...and about 200 years ago), I've been obsessive about my plants. So if something ate anything, I would know. I recall an ongoing battle between me and one squirrel that to this day, I did not find a way to kill, LOL. (Another "bug" if you ask me.) Out of hundreds of tomatoes, we actually ate about 20 total thanks to that demon. Speaking of demons, I have one resident squirrel here. He is eyeing my bushes and I am eyeing him. I'm older since that last battle and have less patience--let's just leave it at that for now. LOL But on GW/Houzz, I've seen so many people post about hornworms and I shudder each time I see one, praising sweet baby Jesus that I never, ever had one. Until this year. It just obliterated big stems of all the leaves and growth. I feel like I am down to about half the potential tomatoes I had--and this poor thing is a determinate plant so it's not like I can wait for the next round. Very strange, too, because I have 7 total tomato plants here and only this one, which was technically the most robust one, is the one that got hornworms. It is, of course, the only one where I have one plant of this variety, too. Ain't life grand? :) (Meanwhile, it was two tomato hornworms that came back to triple's backyard six times each...Haha.)
    ...See More

What color or pattern have you gotten tired of fastest?

Q

Comments (45)
    I have been slowly removing color from my home over the past few years and accessories as well - I am definitely embracing minimalism in middle age. I think I find the low contrast and extra space soothing since I am living with teenagers. It's funny though - I live in an old house and I feel like the simpler the rooms are, the more the old floors and chunky trim shine. Having said that I am sure I will take this too far and my house will get eventually get empty & weird but hopefully a close friend will intervene! :)
    ...See More
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

At least I know it's not just me, and it's good to hear what other browsers people are using. I considered using Chrome, but Beth is using Chrome and her photos are showing smaller, but then windymess, also using Chrome, has not had any changes. I can try Explorer (never heard of Edge). .......It's a mystery why Houzz changes only affected some of us.

If anyone with small pictures finds a way to change it back, please share what works. Or if enough of us contact Houzz do you think they'll fix it for us?

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

So here we go, again?!? I recall there being an issue when houzz first took over. I'll post an image here that is 1280x960 when I upload it. I know I'll have to click on the smaller image that will show in this posting but it will be interesting to see what size you get displayed when you click on the first, smaller -i.e. lower resolution- picture. Then, just for the helluvit I' will upload a smaller image of the same picture that could potentially show larger in the posting but will not become a larger image when you try to click on it.

First picture, uploaded @ 1280x960:

It is noteworthy that while I'm posting this larger upload shows as an image almost the full width of the posting. And now the same picture uploaded @ 800x600:

And it shows the same width as the larger upload while I'm in posting mode. I'll submit the posting and make further comment in a new posting.

Pieter

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
  • Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    6 years ago

Both images are now much smaller and interestingly the 2nd upload - the smaller one - shows the same size when clicked on as the upload: 800x600 whereas the 1280x960 upload is shrunk to 990x742 when you click on the first image.

Pieter

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Laurie, good point about putting it nicely if we contact Houzz because I do appreciate this web site being available.

I like viewing the pics but don't want to give myself carpal tunnel to click, then unclick all the pictures I'd like to see, lol.

.....And I was thinking of how I purchased a lamp because of a pic I saw on the home decorating forum that with the smaller pics I probably wouldn't have noticed it. I don't see how smaller photos adds value for Houzz.

Pieter, for me, both of your photos show the same size. Both small on this page, and both the same size when I click to enlarge each one.

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    6 years ago

Pieter on my computer both pictures are the same size. When clicked on the first picture is a larger size.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
  • Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    6 years ago

Now that's interesting. Both images now appear larger than when I first posted them, no question. If you think you see the same size image when you click on them that may well be a function of your computer screen resolution. On my screen the top picture definitely clicks into a larger image then the lower picture. Still cannot fathom how come the in-line images are now much larger then when I first posted them.

Pieter

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    6 years ago

On my phone they look the same size no matter what I do..untapped or tapped..if there is a difference it's imperceptible..

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

THANK YOU, HOUZZ!!!!

The photos are back to normal size again. I'm hoping it's going to stay that way because it is so much better! Is it fixed for everyone else who was seeing the smaller photos?

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    6 years ago

The update caught up with me this evening. I sent Houzz a note through customer service. In my opinion all this amounts to is extra touches to see the same photos. A step backward, updates should make things easier to navigate, not make them more tedious. I felt the picture quality before the change was pretty darn good. Let's hope this company responds like they have in the past.

Sherry

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

sherry, you summed up the problem well. Has it changed back for you or are you still seeing the smaller pics? Mine is back to normal and I'm happy about that!

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    6 years ago

Pieter, both pictures the same size. Both enlarge to the same size.

Edge is the browser that comes with Windows 10. A renamed and improved Internet Explorer if you like.

Dave

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked Tiddisolo Wales UK
  • Saija_Finland
    6 years ago

I use chromebook and it has chrome browser. I see pictures normal size. I didn't have any changes. And sometimes I use i Pad, pictures were normal also in i Pad.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked Saija_Finland
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

Yay sandyslopes, no carpal tunnel for you!

Pieter both pics show same size but the first enlarges more when clicked.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    6 years ago

I use my iPad often, pictures on comments are still smaller. My daylily post disappeared overnight grrrr......

Sherry

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    6 years ago

Dave, I just tried again and the first -i.e. upper- picture expands into a larger image than when you click the 2nd, lower picture. In-line in the posting they display the same size.

Pieter

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    6 years ago

I am using a laptop computer, windows and google chrome. For the most part there doesn't seem much change. Pieter, your photos above are the same size for me. When I click them, they enlarge to the same size also.

Interestingly enough, I noticed that Steve's photos on the Hosta H thread were not as tall and a bit wider than everyone elses. When I click on them, they enlarge to a bigger size than the other photos. I have noticed that the height of the pictures is the same for everyone's but the width can differ such as in Steve's photos. Wonder what device he is using for his photos.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks to everyone who's participating so we can all try to figure this out.

sherrygirl, sorry to hear yours isn't back to normal size. Mine was smaller for 48 hours, maybe yours will change then, too? I am not an IT person so.... I don't know what's going on.

Dave thanks for clearing that up. I'm still holding onto my Windows 7 so didn't know about Edge being the 10 version.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    6 years ago

How large the image appears when clicked on depends on the device you're using for viewing I just discovered. Just for fun I read this thread on my phone last night and was horrified to see that when you click on the images in my post above you get a pop-up that is SMALLER than the image in-line and both pop-up to the SAME SMALLER SIZE whereas on my desktop computer the clicked images have differing sizes!

Pieter

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

Well, using my laptop with Chrome browser: a little earlier this morning the photos mostly all looked "normal size" - that is, larger.

I came back to the computer a few minutes ago and voila! they're all small. When I click on one it does enlarge.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

windy, I hope the smaller pics are only temporary. Maddening, isn't it? I was hoping everyone's would go back to normal size. I hold my breath every time I click on the alphabet posts that the pics are still normal size for me. So far, so good.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

I will add: when using my iPhone, it’s as it was before. When I click on a photo, it enlarges slightly and I can manually enlarge it even more on the screen. So that’s fine, but the computer screen is still easier for seeing details (easier on the eyes)

Well, I love the forums, and it’s all still good... but it would be nice to know what s going on, and why, sometimes.

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

Yes, I was wondering why my pics show up different than everyone else's. They're all taken with my Motorola phone, uploaded to my laptop, and just inserted in my posts from my pictures files.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked StevePA6a
  • Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

I used my PC cleaner today and it closes down all sides that I'm permanently logged in.

I had to log in again and now the pictures are small for me, too. Seems that the webside has undergone some changes...

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked Karin Black Cat
  • beverlymnz4
    6 years ago

I have sent a message to GardenWeb support about my concerns. I don't know what else to do:( I compared the pictures here with those on facebook and I have to click both to get a nice sized picture. GardenWeb seems sharper, at that point, but I think it is because you GardenWeb contributers tend to take better picture. Thank you all for that.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked beverlymnz4
  • garyz6ohio
    6 years ago

The pictures went to the small size two days ago at work on the desk top computer (Windows 10).My home computer (Windows 7) didn't go to the small size until this afternoon and they look like they are here to stay. Just another of their "improvements" I guess.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked garyz6ohio
  • sunnywood4bChazyNY
    6 years ago

They just updated the app on my iPad. Don’t like it! This not an upgrade,but a downgrade!

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked sunnywood4bChazyNY
  • zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

The dreaded small pictures just showed up! In the yingeri thread that McTavish started that ended up in some other part of the gardenweb world. The original post has normal size pictures, but the respondent’s pics are tiny, almost thumbnails. The worst part is they don’t get very big when clicked on.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked zkathy z7a NC
  • Tiddisolo Wales UK
    6 years ago

I see the same but the respondents pics enlarge correctly.

Dave

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked Tiddisolo Wales UK
    6 years ago

I had the same experience as Kathy where all of a sudden very small thumbnails appeared rather than pictures. When I clicked on them, I saw an enlarged photo, just as I had before. But very soon it all resolved by itself and went back to displaying regular sized photos.

Beverly, did you ever hear back from Gardenweb?

• bkay2000
    6 years ago

It might be my paranoia, but could it have to do with cookies and tracking. They may be able to download some sort of tracking devices when you click that they cannot download when you sign in.

He who has the most/best information about their visitors gets the best advertising dollars (like Facebook). They also have more trade fodder and info to sell.

bkay

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked bkay2000
  • beverlymnz4
    6 years ago

I have not heard back from GW.

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

I guess I should consider myself fortunate. No changes here, Windows 10, Google Chrome. I don't do Houzz on my phone, and I have not synced my phone to my laptop either. Maybe some glitch with syncing?

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked StevePA6a
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've been wondering if everyone's pictures went back to normal size or not.

zkathy, I also noticed that in the yingeri thread, which is a shame because McTavish's photos are always so good. I clicked out of there fast as if small pictures might be contagious, lol. I was relieved to see my pics are still the larger size when I came back here. I have no patience to be clicking on every single photo to get a better look.

nhl, I'm glad your photos didn't stay the small thumbnail size.

bkay, I think of that stuff, too. It's always weird when shopping web sites I've visited suddenly start sending me emails. Sometimes featuring an item I clicked on telling me it's still available. Places I haven't shopped but they got my email address just from my visit.

Steve, I hope your luck holds out. I really didn't like the smaller photos and am so happy mine went back to normal. I wish that for everyone!

gary & sunnywood, did yours ever return to normal?

• bkay2000
    6 years ago

I'm running 8.1 on a desktop (don't do much internet on the phone). I'm using Firefox for a browser. The photos are still small.

bkay

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked bkay2000
  • sunnywood4bChazyNY
    6 years ago

Mine are still small!!!

• beverlymnz4
    6 years ago

Mine are still small and not as sharp of an image either (unless you click on the pictures, which I do, wouldn't want to miss one:)

6 years ago

I've written Gardenweb/Houzz too hoping that I'll hear back from them. I'll let you know.

6 years ago

So this is the response I got from Houzz:

The Houzz Team (Houzz)

Jan 29, 14:01 PST

Hi there,

Thank you for that information!

We recommend using Google Chrome, as it seems to work best with our site.

Also, let's try the following troubleshooting tips:

1. Ensure that you have the latest operating system for your device/computer
    2. Ensure that you have the latest version of the browser you are using
    3. Clear your browser history and cache/cookies
    4. Restart your computer

If another user is having issues with the site, they will need to submit a request to support.houzz.com and a representative with respond within 24 business hours.

• beverlymnz4
    6 years ago

I sent again because I didn't get a response to my first one. I do have an older (3 years?) computer but it works great. I don't think being forced to use a certain browser is a good solution. They should fix the problem so it works for more people:( Unfortunately this is how most technical problems are dealt with, work-arounds rather than fixes.

6 years ago

I hope you get a response to this second request Beverly. I got a response in two days.

I won't tell you how old my computer is (because I don't even know how old my laptop is)---but it's way older than yours! So I would surmise that the issue with pictures is not necessarily due to age.

I agree with what you said in your post.

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

I’m getting regular sized pics in every thread EXCEPT the yingeri post that seems to be in some category called “other”.

i have noticed that when I click on them the detail in the enlarged pic is excellent. So y’all keep posting your best, Houzz does seem to be accommodating us.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

I went to the Yingeri post. For me McTavish's photos are regular size, but Beverly's, Karin's, Donna's and Popmama's are small. A took a photo to show you:

Quite a difference isn't it?

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    6 years ago

They are all small on my iPad Pro except the lead in jokes on the alphabet.

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    6 years ago

That is the only post where my photo is small.....

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked DelawareDonna Zone 7A
  • tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    6 years ago

Notice the URL of McT's post. It is at Houzz.com instead of gardenweb.com. I think they are moving things and don't want to admit glitches with it. I, too, see normal pix for McT but the others are small. Using a laptop, Firefox and Windows 10.

tj

ETA The Annuals Forum quickly redirects me to Annuals at houzz.com and does the same thing for me. IT people are notorious liars and always blame the user.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    6 years ago

Very interesting experience just now. I added some pix to the 'T's and when I posted them the images, not just mine but ALL the images, came back teenie-weenie. So, I reloaded the thread and all came back the usual size....

Pieter

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    6 years ago

Just downloaded the small pic an the enlarged one 23 to 260 k. The large image is there. They are sizing them down to less that 10%.