SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ottawatm

Bungalow Floorplan - Feedback Appreciated

Trish Moulds
6 years ago

Hi all,

I am looking for some sage advice with a floor plan for our modest bungalow. It will be a custom build located in Ottawa, Canada on a narrow lot (45') on a cul de sac in the suburbs. It is approximately 1625', which will be upsizing for us as we have enjoyed condo life for the past few years.

Us is my husband (retired) and myself (soon to be retired) and we are planning on this being the last move before the nursing home, hopefully many years from now. We cook a lot, have dinner every night in the dining room and enjoy casual entertaining. We rarely have overnight guests. We are kitchen dwellers and don't need a sitting room or formal area.

I like a lot of things about this floor plan, most notably the kitchen looking out to the backyard (southern exposure) and the covered deck off the dining room. If budget and site plans permit we are considering bumping our the dining room and den an additional four feet (the lot is slightly pie shaped, so this is doable). There will be a prep sink in the island but it is not shown on this plan.

We will primarily come and go through the garage/laundry room and I am wondering if it makes sense to contain the hall closet within the laundry room. A sliding door (not barn like) could close off the area. I am also wondering if there is any configuration that would allow for a small closet in the front hall, while still allowing the second bedroom to be practical for a queen size bed.

The city planning department has also weighed in on the plans and does not allow for windows on the garage side of the house. This mean our neighbor to the left will also not have windows on the wall facing our house. We need to consider the window layout near the stair and living room, but this will be our nighttime TV hangout place until we get around to doing the basement. There will be a skylight to allow for natural light here, but we don't spend too much time here until it's time to relax at night.

I have read this forum on end, and appreciate the sound guidance you have provided to others. I do look forward to hearing your input. This home exists only on paper at the moment, so all changes are possible.

With thanks, TM

Comments (13)