SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jellohouse

New floorplan for 1930's Spanish bungalow — help!

jellohouse
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello,

We're buying a 1930's, one-story Spanish bungalow style home. I love the period details of this house, but feel that its traditional layout with separate living / dining / kitchen is a bit too claustrophobic and makes the home feel smaller than it actually is.

I'd like to remove a couple of walls to create better light and crossbreeze, while still maintaining the period style. It'd be nice if the living and dining areas were connected or at least adjacent to each other, instead of being separated by a hallway. I also strongly dislike the fact that the only entrance to the backyard is through the kitchen — I really want to have the living area open to the backyard with big glass doors.

Here's the current floorplan, total ~ 2000 sqft:

Here are a couple of options I'm considering:

Option A: Remove 2 walls: between kitchen and bedroom #1, and between kitchen and dining room. Move kitchen to where bedroom #1 currently is. Add a peninsula to create a bar seating area between the new kitchen and dining (the dotted line). Use the current dining room as living room, and the current kitchen area as dining. Cut a ~ 12 ft opening in the exterior wall between the new dining area and backyard for either French doors or sliding glass doors. Convert current living room to bedroom.

Option B: Remove 3 walls: wall between entry and bedroom #1, wall between kitchen and bedroom #1, wall between kitchen and dining area. Relocate kitchen to current dining room, creating one large living and dining room. Add a peninsula to create a bar seating area between the new kitchen and dining (the dotted line). Cut a ~ 12 ft opening in the exterior wall between the new dining area and backyard for either French doors or sliding glass doors. Convert current living room to bedroom.

What do you think? I'm currently consulting with contractors and architects on the structural feasibility of both these plans, as well as what would need to be done in terms of changing the plumbing and electrical. What do you think of these plans in terms of liveability, and any other ideas?

Comments (24)