SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Gray kitchens...now

Anglophilia
6 years ago

As many of you know, I re-did my kitchen over a year ago and I did a gray kitchen - SW Repose Gray cabinets and walls (half strength). I love my kitchen! Yes, I STILL love my kitchen and have no regrets!

But while doing a bit of computer housekeeping, I came upon my file of gray kitchens and then I Googled others; not loving them so much. They all look very dark and dreary and so...well, "blay".

So, why do I still like mine but don't like the others? I quickly realized while looking through all the pictures how much difference natural light makes. My kitchen faces due West and my west wall is taken up by a huge bay window over the sink and its cabinet, and by my kitchen door, which is always open with a full-glass storm door in place. I get TONS of natural light in my kitchen. And I added tons of artificial lighting as well - can lights in the ceiling and under cabinet lights. If this was a typical interior kitchen one sees in so many stock house plans, it would be a very dark and dreary space.

I also painted all the woodwork a VERY "white/white". I had always kept all my first floor woodwork the same color - cream with a very high butter fat content. That was not going to work in this kitchen. Fortunately, I'm not open concept, so it was easy to change the woodwork just in the kitchen - it really is not off-putting at all as it's not side-by-side. I also painted my ceiling a high gloss enamel in ceiling white - lots of reflected light from it.

In addition, I have Glacier White Corian countertops so again, lots more white to counter that gray. My backsplash is white honed Carrera marble large subway tiles with white grout - very subtle and breaks up the gray.

My floors are a warm mid range hardwood. They are the same throughout my entire house. It was a custom mix - I think it was walnut mixed with mahogany but it's been so long I can't remember. Yes, I DO have an extra can with the formula in the garage, so I'm good in case of a catastrophe!

I also used polished brass pulls - they brighten all that gray a LOT. I also have several pieces of vintage polished copper on top of one cabinet, and a few copper pans hanging from my pot rack. Having that pot rack with the Carrera marble behind it breaks up all those gray cabinets, as does having glass doors on the longest run of cabinets. I would not have liked it all solid gray.

I think gray is going out as a trend, and that's probably a good thing - it has been overused and very BADLY used as well. One cannot have everything gray in any room - it's just dreary, especially so this time of year when outside is all grays and browns (no snow here - just bitter cold). But gray is a valuable neutral color when used properly. Perhaps it needs a "warning" - "should only be used by professionals - not for home usage"!

I can't imaging ever tiring of my gray kitchen - it is very serene and calm and it makes the small kitchen look much larger. But I sure have tired of all those other gray kitchens - even those from Plain English. I think they have, too, as they're not doing them much these days.

I had not tired of all the all-white kitchens whose pictures I saved. I think that's a "forever" look. The problem is it is best used in a separate kitchen - it doesn't work as well at the end of a family/great room. Since those single rooms appear to be here to stay, I think we'll see more and more wood cabinets as most people have no wood case goods in these wall-less rooms and need something to warm them up.

I'm glad no one ever hired me to do an open concept house (I am now pretty much retired). These houses are as foreign to me as life on Mars. I could do a highly contemporary house as good design is good design and always works together. But these open concept subdivision houses? I have zero feel for them and they go against everything I've ever learned over my 40+ years of being a designer.

Comments (9)