SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
awalcher

Lighting help for 18 ft ceiling family room

awalcher
6 years ago

Hi. Our family room is WAY too dark. Right now there is no overhead lighting in the room except some spillover light from existing hallway can lights in 9 ft ceiling. The family room ceiling is 18 ft and has only a ceiling fan with no light. There is some natural light from 4 windows. We are on a VERY tight budget. I want to put in a chandelier in place of ceiling fan, but still trying to convince my husband to lose the ceiling fan. We were also thinking of putting can lights in the ceiling, but not sure it would be effective to give us decent lighting at the floor level with 18 ft ceiling height. Can any lighting experts advise if can lights in 18 ft ceiling would give good lighting at floor level? If they would, how many lights we would need A. if we change ceiling fan to chandelier and B. if we leave ceiling fan as is with no light in it. We were wanting to install LED lights so we don't have to rent scaffolding to change bulbs all the time. I was also thinking of putting a wall-washer light in to spotlight the fireplace. See attached drawing. We don't want to go through the time and expense to add the can lights if they won't actually help light the living space at floor level. Are there special types of cans and/or LED lights that are best for 18 ft ceiling height? We already have 4 lamps in the room, which is about as many as we can fit with the furniture. We can't really afford to tear into the wall above the fireplace to add sconce lights above the fireplace. Thank you SO much for any help and advice!

Comments (7)