PC Checkbook Software

jrb451

I've used Quicken for years but it looks like they're going to an on-line version with an annual fee. I just want the simple stuff, Something tells me that Quicken will force this upgrade on me. Any suggestions? What do you use?

TIA

SaveComment48Like
Comments (48)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

What are you using it for? Just keeping track of things or actually writing checks vs electronic payments?

Save    
girlnamedgalez8a

I too have used Quicken for many years. I really got tired of upgrading my software so with the last upgrade I went back to their starter edition. We are now retired so really do not use much of the software and I track investments on Morningstar.com. I do not think that I will be forced to upgrade again.

ETA: I also pay bills through my banks website and do not use Quicken billpay any longer.

Save     Thanked by jrb451
jrb451

I’m just keeping track of things. I’m not interested in any 3rd party involvement in paying bills, etc.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Have you tried Mint? It's a website, a free online-only service owned by Intuit. Whether it will or won't meet any person's needs can only be determined by trying it.

As I understand it, the 2018 version of Quicken isn't an online service, per se. It still downloads and runs on a PC. But it is a so-called subscription model rather than a perpetual license. That's not a new change in the software world but is rather a trend that developed awhile back for corporate accounting reasons. Microsoft started a subscription model for MS Office several years ago and larger software system sellers (like Oracle) have been doing that for quite a few years.

The Amazon reviews I just saw for Quicken 2018 aren't very positive but I wonder how much of it is just a reaction to change? I've been using Quicken Deluxe for many years and will stick with what I have until I'm pushed to using the new version because it no longer handles account downloads.

dadoes

Microsoft issued a version of Microsoft Money called Sunset Edition way back in 2010 as a final release. It does not require an activation key, and also does not support online services such as stock quotes or bill pay and transaction sync/import direct from within MS Money to/from a bank account.

Microsoft Money Plus Sunset Edition

What is Microsoft Money Plus Sunset?

Two versions are still available for free download:
Money Plus Sunset Deluxe
Money Plus Sunset Home and Business

jrb451

Thanks. The features are just what I need. I don't link Quicken with my bank and/or brokerage accounts but I do a stock update daily. I can do without that feature if it comes down to that.

Save    
dadoes

I enter stock/fund price updates manually each day. There are several online sources.

Save    
Chessie

Mint does not even come close to the functionality of Quicken. OP, they never force upgrades. I am still using the 2006 version.

Save    
jrb451

Chess, I definitely recall seeing the word "mandatory" in the last Quicken upgrade. Also, throughout the years they've mentioned certain features will no longer work if you don't do the upgrade. Take a look at their new pricing scheme, they're using $XXX/yr. You're no longer buying the software, now they're selling you a service that you pay for annually.

https://www.quicken.com/ppc/win/nf?utm_medium=cpc&cid=ppc_msn_b_stan_402-5344682-5468021-%7Bcreative%7D&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=CUS__Brand%20Quicken%20Software%20Exact%20-%20New&msclkid=7509092cf9f31ba9de70537b127b2e49&utm_term=quicken%20software&utm_content=Brand%20Quicken%20Software%20Exact/Quicken%20Software

Save    
Chessie

I am using the version 2006. It works great. You Absolutely do not have to upgrade. I don’t care what they’re doing now, I am talking about the version I am on. I have never upgraded past it and I don’t pay anything for the service because it’s my application.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

The older versions continue to function but the account-download capability only lasts for 3 years. Without that, I think the software isn't any more useful than just using spreadsheet templates because all transactions would need to be entered manually. No thanks to that.

As I said before. the software as a service (SAS) model isn't new. Quicken is a huge benefit for me and I will continue to use it at whatever pricing mode or reasonable level they choose to follow because there's nothing comparable at this point. It saves me a lot of time and provides analysis and look up capabilities I wouldn't have otherwise.

Here's one simple example - if you pay an accountant to do your tax return and you have business or more than basic investment activity going on, using Quicken output could save you hours of time and help you avoid paying for hours and hours of the accountant's time to organize your information. If you're looking at it as a simple cost savings and you don't value your own time, then that's a different story

Save    
Chessie

What do you mean by account-download functionality? I still am able to download bank account updates so no issues with that. But I actually PREFER to enter my transactions manually. Otherwise I would have to re-categorize most everything - and it would be much harder to catch bank errors (and I have caught a few). I have never seen a spreadsheet template that would do what this software does - no way. Not even close. It would require far more data-entry on my part, and the reports I have are excellent - and I use that functionality often. So I will keep using my old version - thanks! :-)

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I mean clicking once on "Update All" (or whatever it's called) and having Quicken update every bank, credit card and other financial account transactions and balances as well as getting current price quotes for securities owned.

You prefer to enter your own transactions? Heavens to Betsy, then you would be happy using a spreadsheet too. Auto downloads are the most useful and time-savings service provided by Quicken as far as I'm concerned. Absent that, I wouldn't use it.

There's never a need to recategorize transactions with Quicken because it will memorize transactions (even those entered manually) as directed and categorize any future ones the same way. A first time payee/vendor needs to be categorized once in order for that to be repeated in the future. If your's doesn't do that, maybe the old versions don't do that or they do and you're not aware of that function.

Save    
Chessie

No I disagree - a spreadsheet would not do anything near what I use Quicken for. Every single entry is a drop-down - you probably don't realize how easy it is to do the entry because you don't do it that way. I have always done it, and I would not choose to download the transactions. As far as categorizing, no, there is OFTEN a need to categorize, for me. A trip to Walmart can be split 5 ways, or all to groceries. Home Depot? My goodness - so many ways. You might not split your purchases like I do. Now those items that are always the same, such as fuel companies, or Food Lion, well, they default to that, so I never have to choose. It fills it in for me. See, it is much easier than you think it is, again, because you don't use it that way.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I'm a CPA, my friend, so consider me competent when it comes to understanding bookkeeping and bookkeeping systems. That's elementary accounting.

The purpose of bookkeeping is to supply useful information. If you think you get useful information from splitting a Walmart tab into 5 categories, great. I'd say that's a waste of time, all the more so if you're entering transactions manually. At least download them in bulk from your bank, most banks offer that capability.

The only need to categorize spending in detail is to get information that's needed for another purpose, not just to do it because you can. Otherwise, it's wasted time. For me, Quicken helps me keep track of account balances in one place, find deductible expenses quickly when needed, and generally monitor my financial position with the equivalent of a dashboard where all info is visible. You can use it how you want.

Save    
Chessie

LOL. You think I’m doing it just to do it? No. I do it because I need the information that way. I’m not a CPA, my friend, but I do have a degree in accounting. So please don’t consider me to be someone that is not knowledgeable about this.

Save    
jrb451

Just curious, what are the 5 different categories that you track a Wal-Mart purchase? I track medical related expenditures multiple ways.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Out of curiosity, what use do you have for separate categories for Walmart purchases? I could see taking something used for business that was co-mingled in a purchase of personal and business things, and slotting it over into a business/investment related account. What else are you doing with it?

Save    
Chessie

I understand that you are curious, but it should be enough to know that I need that functionality, and I use that sort of information frequently.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I see, for you, it's "because I say so". That's fine. I'll stick with "I think it's an unnecessary waste of time", because I say so.

Save    
maifleur01

Chess may not want to give you that information but some people purchase things for their business and personal items at the same time. Surprised you have never done this. Perhaps not at wally world but other places. I used to do this when I resold peonies and reported that as a separate business.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Read my comment a few above yours and you'll see that's what I said.

Save    
maifleur01

You asked why anyone would want to break out items from a purchase and that it was a waste of time. I would purchase pots, planting mix, and bags to ship plants in along with any other goods for my own use. I wanted to know how much profit or loss I received both on individual plants and for the whole season. Without making multiple trips to a store it was easier to break out 8 bags to use for packing and shipping and 20 for my own use. Same with all of the rest. I I had wanted to I could have used as a business expense but I would have needed a record of what I did with my purchase. For me it was not a waste of time because it told me what amount I had to add on to the original price of the plant to pass on to the people purchasing. Taking two trips when one would be enough would have been a waste of my time.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

A checkbook isn't an inventory record or purchases ledger. If you used it for one, fine, but there are easier ways to do it and that's not what they're intended for.

You sometimes seem to like acting like a gnat in my face. Do as you like but your carping serves only to make you look silly. I had a long and lucrative career giving advice concerning significantly more complex topics than this. I don't suppose that is/was your occupation?

Save    
maifleur01

Having had several occupations rather than just one. Mostly in the financial areas. Speaking from on high as you sometimes seem to do does make me laugh but it also makes me want to make you realize that there are other beings in the world that may have different experiences than you have had. Yes it probably makes me look foolish but I do feel sorry for you.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

It's a somewhat unusual setting, where on particular topics sometimes members of the general public interact with professionals with decades of subject matter expertise and experience. Some have the habit to push back or challenge when hearing information that disagrees with their own view, sometimes (for reasons I don't get) even more so when hearing back from those with more background in a topic than they have. If doing so, a less than cordial reaction maybe should be expected.

Save    
jt fields

I'm still using Qucken 2012 and have been thinking about upgrading. I didn't realize they were going to a subscription only model until I read this post. I've been using Quicken since it was a DOS program in the mid-90's so this is very upsetting to me. I do not feel like changing but I'm also not going to pay $50/year to use it. I think I'm going to see if I can find a copy of 2017 and ride with that for awhile.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Are you able to use the one-click transaction download feature from your financial accounts? I thought that was disabled in each version after three years.

Save    
jt fields

I don't download my transactions. I enter them each day manually as they are incurred. I then reconcile to the statement at the end of the month.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

If you don't do downloads, I don't think you'll gain anything from using a newer version.

Phew, that's a lot of work you could easily avoid if (like most people) your transactions run through a bank or credit card.

Save    
Chessie

Perhaps some people use the software differently than you do.

Oh that's right - we already had this conversation. :-)

Save    
jt fields

I enter all of my transactions every day and then each night I log into my bank and mark every transaction that cleared my bank that day as cleared in Quicken. When the statement comes out at the end of the month all of the transactions are already marked cleared so reconciling takes almost no time at all. I just enter the balances, add any interest or fees and I'm done. If I didn't stay on top of my accounts this way I would use the download feature.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Different conversation, chess, but thanks for paying attention.

Save    
Chessie

Not really.

Save    
SaltiDawg

jt fields,

I don't think you should really be much concerned with Quicken going to a Subscription Service. I just updated from 2016 to 2018 version - 27 month subscription. IIRC it was like $110. IF they come out with a "new improved version" of my Quicken Deluxe 2018 next year, it will become available to me at the time of release at no extra course for the remaining portion of my 27 month subscription. With the Deluxe version, my data remains exclusively on my computer - not at their cloud facility.

I do see a price increase over the old model, but why would we be surprised. They will keep me updated annually the new year's software for that extra cost - probably if I'd had a vote I would have kept the older model and used "old" software for a year and delay updating.

Seems Quicken is really trying to push us to download from financial institutions directly. Sounds as if you and I are comfortable doing it manually.

1 Like Save    
3katz4me

Ya, you don't have to upgrade if you don't download transactions. I do (which is a major reason I like Quicken) and there's no other option that does this. I tried to find one because I was so irritated by the bugginess of Quicken. Perhaps now that they've been sold off to a PE firm and are generating more revenue through the new subscription model they will take some of that and invest in improving the product. I will upgrade to the subscription version when I'm forced to. I've used the product for 27 years and unless there's another one that allows me to download all my bank transactions and reconcile in a matter of seconds, I will stay with it.

I can tell you having all the detailed spending records from Quicken has been extremely useful in retirement planning - just how much money do I spend and on what and will I want to keep spending it on this stuff when I retire. It's also been very helpful on a number of occasions when I've been asked to produce a statement of my net worth.

Save    
SaltiDawg

"Ya, you don't have to upgrade if you don't download transactions."

Also, if you don't download stock quotes and the such... not transactions, just Quotes.

Save    
jrb451

I'm waiting for the day when they tell me no more stock quotes. I'm getting the offers to upgrade each time I open the software. even though I've un-checked "Remind me later."

Save    
SaltiDawg

Makes one wonder what happens if one does not click on, "Remind Me Later?"

Save    
jrb451

Typo, I meant to write that I uncheck the remind me later box.

Save    
Chessie

Yeah I don't do stock quotes or any of that other stuff. I just use the checkbook itemization and reconciliation features. I have several accounts I maintain so it's very useful for me. I do plan on upgrading to the 2012 version, but I don't think I need to go further than that.

Save    
jt fields

As far as functionality is concerned, 2012 will meet my needs just fine since I'm not downloading stuff. I am currently using it after all and it works just fine for me. The only reason I wanted to upgrade is that my version is completely unsupported now. At least if I could find a copy of 2017 I'd get software updates for the next few years. Microsoft is constantly putting out Windows updates and I'm always worried that one of them will cause some sort of issue with 2012 and there will be no patch coming from Intuit. Besides, if I'm going to avoid the subscription model as long as possible it just seems my best bet would be on the very latest version that is pre-subscription model.

Save    
Chessie

LOL. I am using version 2006, and I am on Windows 10. Never had a single problem. :-)

Save    
SaltiDawg

Older versions available on amazon. Sometimes cheap, sometimes very pricey. Also, try Google.

Save    
maifleur01

It may not be Quicken that will eventually prevent the downloading to it but your bank. I use BIA and although it may have changed at one time about ten years ago I used Quicken and the way things downloaded was such a mess that I finally upgraded to the newest version. I just looked and they only support Quicken 2014 and above.

Save    
jrb451

Here’s what Quicken says will happen should you choose to not upgrade when your subscription period runs out.

The Quicken Data Access Guarantee means that whether you renew your subscription or not, you'll always have full access to and ownership of your data. You can view, edit, export, and manually enter transactions and accounts for Deluxe and higher versions, even after your subscription ends*. Access to online services, such as transaction download, quotes, and mobile sync, along with access to Quicken Support, will end if your subscription does. We’ll continue to let you know about product changes and enhancements within the Quicken product.

Save    
maifleur01

jrb it may not be a problem with Quicken not upgrading it may be a problem of your financial institution no longer being able to download to older versions. You can of course download to your computer then upload the information but that is beyond my capability.

Save    
jrb451

I don't use Quicken to do bill pay or checkbook reconciliation with my bank. The only thing I download are stock prices. I'm not signing up for the new Quicken when my 2016 ownership period support ends in December 2018. My original question was to find out if Quicken will continue to work if I don't upgrade and what, if any, features would be lost. It appears it will and I'll lose the stock update feature; which I'm OK with.

1 Like Save    

Related Stories

Home Tech Get Ready for the Smart Coffee Table
Intelligent tables with touch screens are reaching the consumer market, with all the power of personal computers and more
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Ecofriendly and Salvaged Style in a Montreal Triplex
Repurposed materials, graywater reuse, and no-VOC paints make for a resourcefully earth-friendly home in Quebec
Full Story
Architecture Who Needs 3D Design? 5 Reasons You Do
Whether you're remodeling or building new, 3D renderings can help you save money and get exactly what you want on your home project
Full Story
Organizing How to Create an Inventory, Whether You're Naturally Organized or Not
Documenting your home items is essential, even if disaster seems unimaginable. And it may be easier than you think
Full Story
Housekeeping 10 Decluttering Projects You Can Do in 15 Minutes or Less
Try these ideas to get organized at home one small step at a time
Full Story
Home Tech Tech to the Rescue: How to Get Stolen Gadgets Back
Catch any crook who dares steal devices from your home with recording and tracking technology that's easy to use
Full Story
Travel by Design High-Tech Tips for Securing Your House While You're Away
Prevent burglaries when you're traveling by using the latest gadgets, apps and online services
Full Story
Organizing Why and How to Name Your Digital Photos
Learn about metadata and a naming approach that the professionals use for their own photos and those of clients
Full Story
Feel-Good Home 10 Smart Organizing Ideas That Make Life Easier
Rethink where and how you store household basics, from bills to baking supplies, to buy some time and save some headaches
Full Story