SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irricca

Something's missing...what is it?

So I'm trying desperately to decorate my family room but no matter what I do I feel like something is missing. I just have no idea what it is. Decorating is NOT my forte so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (81)

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Color. Artwork. Are the word artwork and big clock new and returnable?

• User
    6 years ago

Are the curtain rods made of plumbing pipes?

To my eye, it looks like the curtain rods aren't wide enough for each set of windows. I could be wrong, but is there enough room for the curtains to be open cleanly on either side without blocking the window? And, is there just one set of curtains on each window? I'd like to see two on each window and the curtain rod widened (unless I'm completely misreading what is there.) A wider rod will give the illusion of wider windows and look, imo, better.

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, the space is pleading for a rug. Adding one large one that takes up most of that dead space will help finish the room.

• Related Discussions

Help!! Backspash and other decorating ideas

Q

Comments (22)
    sweeby....I'm thinking just like you... I would not do stone...it breaks the "flow" of the polished stone counters and cabinets....you ultimately want something to complement the space not compete with it...I'm not liking the subway tile because it will actually bring the cabinets down onto the counter..meaning visually your eye will pick up a squatty center and not one that brings your eye up and through the cabinets...I think a great ceramic tile the brings your eye up and has some hues in it that complement your granite would be best..if you break down your counter into 10 colors...I would stick to 2-3 of the colors in the lower half of those colors in terms of darkness..I'm thinking of something along the lines of a soft honey or cream... I don't think these harlequins would be the best choice but maybe a flatter ceramic with a bit of a beveled edge...maybe 4 inch squares in a diamond pattern....but the colors are what I'm thinking of...
    ...See More

Help with dining room

Q

Comments (18)
    I would definitely lower the chandy. Leave the chairs...they are so interesting. Add some candles to the sconces. I think the other issue is one of scale...the artwork is hung high to see it, but then, with the lower buffet, they don't relate to one another, where typically they would. Perhaps try replacing the art with something that goes the other way...taller than wide and set it lower on the wall so it can relate to the buffet. Maybe put something taller on the buffet too. If you look at the pics above posted by nosoccermom, you'll see it's often that the stuff on the buffet will overlap the art above making the entire thing more unified. Also, for me, the bare minimalist is not my style, but I get it. Still I would like to see some cushions on the chairs and perhaps a bench or ottoman on either side of the buffet with a fabric cushion, just to add more warmth...and they could be pulled up to the table too if you have a larger crowd.
    ...See More

Feels like something’s missing...

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I was afraid to post a photo where the signage was too small, and have included a photo of the full wall in this comment. My issue is the plantation shutters on either side of the decor - if I go bigger than this, I’m concerned that I would lose the ability to leave the shutters open if I wanted. Grateful for all of your ideas!
    ...See More

Need Help Finding Easter Baskets for 20 and 30-Somethings

Q

Comments (28)
    @User perhaps I missed this, but what is causing the pleural effusion? My dad had a thoracentesis and it did help, but within days, he had another issue. This was all due to his Congestive Heart Failure. If I am overstepping by asking this, just ignore. It just all rings so close to home, having gone through similar issues with Dad last year. Praying for good news for your mom.
    ...See More
  • tatts
    6 years ago

Is it Waldo?

• Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Well golly judrand05, you act as if it's the worst room ever and anyone who says otherwise is straight lying. I don't HATE the room my any means so it IS possible that someone else doesn't hate it. I asked for advice and will pick and choose what advice I take cause at the end if the day it's my house and my taste that matters most. I appreciate your advice and plan to take some of it, but I'd appreciate you not cutting down anyone that dares to claim to like it a little. Gee whiz!
  • User
    6 years ago

If you liked the room, you wouldn’t be asking for help to fix the issues. And you can’t articulate what is wrong, but you know that something is wrong. So listen to people who DO understand what is wrong and have suggestions to fix it.

Large blobs of black and washed out beiges and grays can be overcome. But the problems of scale, massing, and lack of color and pattern will need to be addressed. Color is the easiest and cheapest fix to many decor problems. Pick a color. Your favorite one. It needs to be bolder than average to stand up to that mass of black leather. Find a patterned rug that has that color as a dominant tone. Build from that.

• sableincal
    6 years ago

Irricca - Going back upthread and studying all your photos, it looks as though the room has light beige walls and a tan carpet. I think those colors are fine with your furniture (they would be my choice, too - :o) ), and I seriously hope you don't repaint with gray, which IMO will only deaden the color and light in the room.

One thing I would do would be to hem the drapes so that they fall about 1" - 1.5" above the carpet. They will then fall straight and neat and vacuuming will be easier. Extra panels would make them look richer, but I'd work on the hems first.

Then add two large lamps with ceramic or glass bases in turquoise or aqua or soft green, with off-white shades. This could be your accent color for other accessories, with a little bit of red here and there (mixed in a pillow or throw or rug pattern, e.g.)

If you want to fill that glass lamp (I am not a seashell person either), how about large-ish round wooden beads or marbles, so that you could control the colors.

• Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sophia, let me correct you on something. I do like the room. I just don't LOVE it. And as I said, I plan to take some suggestions. What I don't LIKE is people suggesting that anyone who dares to say they like it, or don't agree with the others suggestions are lying to placate me. To do that one would have to know the other person's taste or believe that it is impossible to think that the room actually looks fine to another because you don't particularly care for it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If someone says they think it's fine who am I or anyone else to tell them that they're lying? I've gotten alot of really useful suggestions here. Some I will take and some I won't. But I don't like being told what I'm thinking so I'll stand up for anyone being told why they are doing something.
  • Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sableincal- I've already purchased more panels so that part is easy and I've been trying to convince my mom to hem them for me. Guess I'll be pulling out the hem tape (I can't sew a straight line to save my life). I actually do like the colors you suggested I was thinking of an aqua glass lamp I saw at Kirkland's but I struggle with seeing how a room will look before I actually put the pieces in it. I LOVE the idea about how to fill the existing lamp! Thanks!
  • Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    #lolauren- the curtain rods are made to look like pipes. There was a reason we didn't hang them wider but for the life of me I can't remember why now. That's something I can (hopefully) easily change. There is only one panel hanging per window. I agree, there should be two. It was. quick fix when we had no coverings, but I've recently purchased more and have yet to hang them. Thanks
  • suezbell
    6 years ago

Nice room.

Consider adding tall thin (metal post) lamps with large white lampshades in each corner -- in front of each window on the tables (from which clutter would be removed).

You could repurpose those flower to another room.

Add a shelf or faux mantel to the wall over the sofa either beneath the clock or in lieu of the clock.

You could repurpose the mirror to another room and put the clock where the mirror is located to enable you to put a larger shelving/cabinet above the sofa.

http://generva.com/5/2015/11/architecture-designs-contemporary-wall-shelves-modern-shelving.jpg

http://www.iussi2016.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/decorative-floating-corner-wall-shelf-picture-of-fresh-on-photography-ideas-corner-wall-shelves.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/77/2e/19/772e191e94d480842c1e038d58bfde8b--wooden-wall-shelves-floating-shelves.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b3/28/f9/b328f9c727e52edfc2776fc6f048a84b--floating-mantel-floating-shelves.jpg

http://www.furnishburnish.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/storage-over-sofa.jpg

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

"We lived for years w/o a coffee table. They are dangerous for toddlers"

I'm sorry...but I had to do an eye-roll on this comment. I mean, seriously? don't forget stairs, unlocked cabinets, outlets, sharp objects, bookshelves, and the bogeyman. good heavens. How did any of us make it out of the 60's??

Irricca,,,,what color do you like? as has been mentioned, color is missing.

your drapes are too long for that window. either raise the rod or hem the drapes for a cleaner look.

I suspect what looks off is the big empty spot in the middle. can you do something like this? or along these lines?

and bonus.....toddlers will be safe!

• Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth H. I like all shades of blue. And (sigh) I'm going to hem the curtains next weekend. I was hoping I could talk my mom into it LOL
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

just give mom a big hug and I love you, and she prob will!

way up where someone posted the orange accents, could you substitute blue tones? some pillow, art over the sofa ( in place of the clock), a throw,,

a little glass side table for the side of the sofa.

trying to find some pics for you that show large sized sofas so you can pick and choose what you'd like to try:

• judie
    6 years ago

Response to your questions: Curtain rods absolutely not pipes, but bold round rods with big finials. Do continue with doubling or even tripling curtains at windows. Before you shorten curtains, let them puddle and see if that works first. "Kick" them at hem under themselves so hem is behind curtains. The geometric pillows are nice, but no ruffles, maybe even a tapestry/paisley look as in rugs. I think when you do these things plus get eye catching lamps, add large greenery, you will be satisfied. Take your time and do one step at a time.

• judie
    6 years ago

Liked the "laying on side" J white painted shelves. Are really eye catching without being cluttered looking. Should be easy for DIY er. Good look. Hassocks with tan and black geometric nice and luxurious looking. Color without color--only texture. LIKE>

• Phyllis
    6 years ago

This thread should be helpful. Lots of discussion about the leather furniture similar to yours and why it doesn't feel right: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-dsvw-vd~4366425?n=19

• sableincal
    6 years ago

One site for beads is Tamara Scott Design. She has a tremendous selection in all colors and types and materials. I spent a long time there!

• User
    6 years ago

Not more of the same blobby drapes! That is an area for pattern and color. Since you like blue, pick a blue pattern. There needs to be something other than large amoebas of vague anti-color and larger amoebas of very dark anti-color.

This ties blue and black together very well.

A Contemporary rug.

Add an ottoman instead of a coffee table.

Add some pillows, side tables, art, and lamps. But three main pieces in a great color will liven up the room and give a good start.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 years ago

My apologies, my comments were not very clear, I guess. The photos make it look like the furniture is smack up against the walls, but on closer inspection, I see that does not appear to be the case after all.

I'm wondering : what about switching the sofa & loveseat positions, and maybe shift the chair so it's facing the tv a bit more? Then someone could actually lay on the couch to watch the tv w/ their feet up. Think about what you do most and how you move around that space.

Things seem far apart, but maybe that's just because of the expanse of bare light-colored carpet vs. the dark furniture? I agree that an area rug and some sort of ottomans in dark shades could help connect things and provide a bit of color. Some taller, matching lamps for the tables are also a good idea, IMO. Repeating colors and forms helps to tie things together.

I was also thinking of some blue accents - greens could be nice as well - or both. Do you like geometric designs, or more organic, nature-inspired patterns? Right now, with the large circular clock & rectangular picture/mirror, I think something w/ circular patterns might work, perhaps even a round rug?

I have no problem w/ the curtains/hardware, BTW. They look fine to me - but I do agree that the 'puddling' can be hard to clean around.

I have to say your hubby does not look very relaxed, sitting that way. Do any of those pieces contain recliners? They look like they would.

I see a lot of helpful ideas above. You are smart to ignore the unhelpful ones - that's the nature of a forum, after all.

Happy New Year!

• Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    carolb...Is this a start?
  • Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I've been thinking about painting my end tables. I inherited them from my grandmother and they are awesome storage so I don't want to get rid of them, but I think they are too dark with the already dark furniture.
  • Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    View from the other side
  • Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth yes, one is a hexagon like the one pictured and the other is a bit larger and square
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

they look nice painted. and it would brighten up the spot a bit. search for "painted hexagon vintage tables" or " vintage hexagon side tables", and you should get some ideas. Pinterest has tons.

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

Irricca, what do you want the end result to look like? Can you find some pictures of leather furniture decorating ideas on Google Images and see what does and does not appeal to you?

You have been given some great ideas, but don't seem too interested in them....replacing the drapes, adding an area rug, adding an ottoman in a new color.

Moving the furniture around will not change the fact that everything is the same color.

Sophie and Beverly gave some awesome ideas with pictures so you can get a visual. I feel like you just brushed those aside.

Before you paint those tables, you need a cohesive plan. You should come up with a color scheme. White tables will be quite stark and still will not give you the room you love.

That being said, the big clock does not add anything and looks kinda silly with the big bulky furniture. The flowers on each side are way too high and do not go with the clock or the furniture. The word sign does not relate to any thing in the room and his hung too high and not near any piece of furniture. The mirror over the sofa is hung too high also.

• Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Kathi- 1. my husband and I are both 6+ ft tall. the mirror and others hanging are hung so that the center is at our eye level. 2. It seems like you'd like to see my progress on your timeline which is unlikely to happen. I haven't ignored anyone's advice (except the ones to get rid of everything and start again). I'm making the changes I can on my timeline with my budget. If you'd like to send me some pieces or the money to buy them I'd be extremely grateful and would send you pics immediately! LOL
  • SJ McCarthy
    6 years ago

Remember: 3 is the magic number = 3 design colours. Right now you only have two. The third colour is missing. So now we simply find a place to 'put' the third colour.

I would like to start with an area rug. A big one that fills most of the space between the pieces of furniture. Right now is an EXCELLENT time to find something you LOVE because there is so much SPACE to work with (this is a plus right now...go with the positive and have fun!). I like teal/blue with brown. Orange is fun but you have too much in the "warm brown" range so something cooler like teal will really have some punch without adding "more warm" tones.

Once you have found the area rug that makes you SMILE (and I mean "out loud smile" not just inside) you can live with it for a few weeks/months.

Then find an ottoman or table of some sort. You can then accessorize once the area rug has been put into play. The RUG will determine all other accessories (including drapes, lamps, colours, shapes, etc).

Since you have budget concerns, start with the most important addition = area rug. Go from there. You can build it piece by piece as you find them.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Irricca,,,do you happen to have any artwork you could hang? I'm thinking something w/the blues you like would give you a nice change. If you like the clock, it's fine. but the fake flowers in the vases on either side, no. Sorry. you asked for advice. the flower vases just do not belong. (BTW, is that sign picture actually centered on the wall? looks like it's off to one side)

I would do the artwork where you have your sign. You're saying 'something is missing'. some color/art/pattern,,,,that's what's missing. You can find inexpensive art all around. You can make your own for the price of a canvas. (Hobby Lobby, get the 40% off coupon). use left over paint or buy a few acrylic bottles for a few bucks. paint your own abstract. not hard.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/228065168604188602/?lp=true

Just an example for you to see

Paint your vintage tables white.

get a few of those soft ottomans in a print/color you like to fill the gaping hole in the middle of the room.

you don't need a lot of cash to do these things. and always check Craigslist. tables, art, paint, canvas, etc,,,I've found all sorts of great deals that I've used over the years.

You're asking what's missing, and we are all telling you. All the advice you've been given is good, decent advice. I'm sorry we don't have advice that you can use that is free! sometimes it's just not that easy and you need to spend a few bucks or get really handy. Or, live with what you have!

• phuninthesun
    6 years ago

I agree with SJ McCarthy regarding an area rug. I would start with that. A rug with some other color. Blue, teal, burgundy, sage? Pull a color from the rug and add your lamps and couple of pillows. I think I would pull the single chair closer to the couch to bring your grouping together. Your wall decor is fine, just high. The point of hanging it lower is to make your walls look taller (see example below). I agree with Beth H. regarding painting your end tables white or very light grey. You should check out Chalk Paint for painting them (much easier than regular paint!) Check out this page. Chalk painting end tables You are doing great so far. It takes a while to find art you really love, so wait until you find it. No need to rush out and purchase art you don't like just to add color. Have a wonderful new year!

• Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I've been looking for an area rug and just haven't come across the right one yet. I have a hard time envisioning what items will look like in the space ( I'm a numbers girl) so I've been using rugsusa's site which then overwhelms me because there are so many options. I need one if you guys to be with me in real life!:LOL
  • phuninthesun
    6 years ago

Irricca! I have purchased several rugs from RugsUSA, and have spent many days in a daze looking! Most of the styles will work with your room. Just make sure the rug you choose is large enough for at least the front legs of your furniture to sit on. Keep us posted!

• Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thoughts on these rugs...
  • phuninthesun
    6 years ago

Love the second one.

• Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Kathi- I had to find my old phone to grab these screenshots. These some of the pics I found on Google that I was trying to emulate
  • Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    more Google pics
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Irricca...those pics are fine if you are doing a complete farmhouse type of look. the problem with you only picking a few of the ideas, is it looks 'off' because you don't have the complete cottage/farmhouse thing going. If you like that look, then copy everything you see in the pic. (and they all have rugs/coffee tables or ottomans)

• always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

Holy cow, I thought that first screen shot was your space!! I think I get what you're going for. I have a dark brown sectional and my previous couch and chair were also dark brown...have kept everything super neutral for the most part but would feel like something was missing even though I'd see other neutral rooms that looked "right"...So I get when you say that you like your space but feel like there's "something missing".

• JustDoIt
    6 years ago

I think with a little tweaking you'll be near your sample rooms. I would first do as suggested above and paint the end tables. This will be a very slight hit to the budget.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 years ago

How about an eggshell ivory/antique white for the tables?

• Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I know this has absolutely NO color BUT....if I paint the side tables an antique white (already in the works) can I get away with using this lamp
  • Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

I am not a fan of the lamp. I think it is more brown. Lamps with color, what ever color you decide to bring to the room, would look better.

Beth, those paintings are awesome!! What a great idea! I see decorating with my grand daughter in the future!!

• Peppapoodle
    6 years ago

Irricca, I love threads like this- they are so helpful. Most of us aren't trained decorators. And it takes time & exposure to hone our own taste. Most of us are out earning a living so that we can make our house a home.

I just went and screen shot some things from pottery barn. It's easily accessible to everyone.

I have seen & like these lamps. Seem like, to me, they are substantial enough for your sofas.

Rug- to pull in the darker tones of your sofa & existing carpet color. Has both the deeper & aqua blue colors

Pillow options......definitely get down inserts-2" larger than pillow cover, otherwise they slide off of leather.
    Drapes, if you feel you still need color.....

Blue ottoman in the middle

• Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Peppapoodle - thank you so much! I actually love everything you posted!! It will take some time but I'm sure I'll get it right eventually
  • Peppapoodle
    6 years ago

You will....... you'll run into THE pillow or rugto bring in your color & it will all fall into place!!

Your 2nd rug you posted above would go with the PB stuff also.

:)

• k9arlene
    6 years ago

Before you purchase lamps, wall art and throw pillows, I’d get the rug and pick up one of the colors in the rug for your accessories.

• Paula Sanders
    6 years ago
    My first thought. Try the clock where the “Love” rectangle picture is located and then try the planters just to the right of the clock staggered down with the first one in line with the clock and the other s little lower. A round wooden top and iron base like in one of the suggestion would look great from my perspective. Have fun!
  • rebeccamomof123
    6 years ago

FWIW, I did a similar farmhouse look with a dark leather couch, and it took me months of buying, trying & returning to finally achieve the look I wanted! It's still a work in progress but I'm fine with it now. Your space is well on it's way!

• Irricca Brightharp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    rebeccamomof123: I love your space! and thanks for the encouragement!!
  • rebeccamomof123
    6 years ago

Thanks, Irricca. Lots of trial and error. I think chalk painting your end tables white is a great idea, they kind of disappear against the dark couches. Also, I like the neutral palette, don't feel the need to add bright colors if you're going for more of a rustic, neutral look. I like the rug in your first image better than the second one. Also, consider a tall plant behind the recliner, it will add a little more height to the space to fill in the "blank" spots. Something like the one in your 6th photo down from your inspiration screenshots. I really like what you've done on your walls and wouldn't mess with that. You and I have very similar inspiration picks - the ones you posted are also on my Pinterest boards ;)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor