SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allison704

Go Big or Go Home?

Allison0704
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Major remodeling going on at our new house (my thread in Decorating with a lot of photos), which was originally all painted white with the exception of one room. Our current home is mostly a warm white with a few green rooms. I'll admit I love green.

I've bought a half dozen BM colors and put on the walls today - two places in each room. I would like to warm up the new house with color. So far I've purchased, but not committed to,:

BM Mystic Lake CSP-745 for the kitchen cabinets. Lowers, island and a fridge/freezer tower/pantry wall. (no uppers) English style kitchen, but not unfitted/mismatched.

BM Van Courtland Blue HC-145 Guest bedroom. Very pretty in this guest room (to be mostly used by our granddaughter) and MBR.

BM Powell Buff HC-35 2nd choice for this guest bedroom. Looks like a nice yellow/not bright. Also tried in MBR and it is too bright/too yellow.

BM Sea Salt CSP-95 Possible trim/ceiling color. Maybe a room color, unless it would just look "white."

BM Upper West Side CSP-70 Tried in guest room DGS will mostly use. Huge windows. Lots of light. Looked like muddy instead of taupe. BM store guy suggested I paint entire wall to get true color.

BM Oil Cloth CSP-760. Had hoped to paint huge foyer, DR and maybe LR this color. Also tried in DGS/guest room. Looks great in DR. Maybe LR. Foyer and DGS/guest room muddy. I had wanted a pretty green (but not bright).

I've spent the last two hours watching several of Lori Sawaya's videos, using the downloaded color wheel along with the EasyRGB website, and finding the LRV for each color.

All of these colors are between 20 and 200 on the wheel (or warm side). I guess that's good?!

As you see, I leaned towards the CSP line colors. I like the Aura paint line.

House has high ceilings, lots of windows. Lots of light. In central Alabama. Floors are French White Oak. Stairs will also be this, so I need to figure out what color to paint the cast iron spindles and what to do with mahogany handrail (matches front door, but door won't be painted). These boards show finished product:

My original plan was to paint walls, trim and doors in each room the same color. Ceiling a lighter version of same color.

Furniture is mostly antiques/vintage. Rugs are oriental and soumak. Upholstered pieces will be recovered or purchased. Bedding will be purchased. Some modern light fixtures and upholstered pieces (MBR bed, LR sofa, for ex.) I lean to warm, fall colors. Any words of wisdom will be deeply appreciated.

Allison

Comments (5)