SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kvetchlambkin

Resemblance to Shiranui/Dekopon/Sumo?

Home
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all!

I haven't checked in on gardenweb in awhile as I've started to look forward to instant gratification of baking edible goods rather than waiting to grow them! But as I passed by the fruits in the markets of Chinatown the other day, I saw an orange bumpy fruit with very similar characteristics to the Shiranui/Dekopon. I first came to know this citrus by the name of Dekopon which I later discovered was the very same Shiranui that has been pined for by all citrus home growers! Please correct me if I am wrong on this however. And here is the photo of the possibly Shiranui(?) fruit!

I was so excited to identify the fruit that I didn't even wipe my phone camera lens clean before snapping the picture. Any idea whether it may be there Shiranui/Dekopon/Sumo? I hear so much about how difficult it is to obtain a tree from a nursery or mail order sites so if there is a high chance of it being the Shiranui, I would rush back there and snag a lot of them! Then I'd look for seeds while I snack on them. They were selling for about 1.99 or 2.99? I can't remember the exact number. I also can't remember whether it was the price for each single fruit or for each pound of fruit. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I don't see this fruit very often even in the more diverse produce markets.

I hope everyone has a merry Christmas as well as a happy holiday! Keep warm with those close to you and share some fruit together :)

Comments (23)