SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nay1126

Help Asap Please with Flooring dilemma in kitchen/kitchen fam room

nay1126
6 years ago

This is a red v. white oak decision. We just gutted our kitchen and a portion of the family room it opens in to. I thought we had white oak in the rest of the house, but turns out we have red. I was planning on white oak for the kitchen flooring because our cabinets are a bleached walnut. Any red/orange tint in the floor doesn't work too well with them. I've toiled today and come up with 2 options. I am in decision paralysis and hoping for some advice!

Would you:

1) "start over" in the kitchen to do what I want. (White oak, 4in plank.) I can refinish the neighboring rooms to match color as best as possible but they are red oak 2 1/4. In time, we can entertain replacing the rest of the first floor. (About 1/2 of the house is un-sandable anymore and we'd need to replace down the road, other portion is only 10 years.)

2) install red oak in the kitchen (can't get 4in, so would just stuck with 2 1/4 like rest of the house). But we'd need the lightest stain (duraseal or bona) that would conceal the red in the red oak? I don't love crazy dark floors, but don't mind a medium brown with maybe a splash of gray. Could we get rid of the pink hue in the red so as not to clash with the cabs? What stain would you rec as a minimum depth?

Any advice SO appreciated!!

Cabinets:

Comments (8)