SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
awhite522

Do Amaryllis actually NEED to go dormant?

A W
6 years ago

Just bought my first ever amaryllis a couple of weeks ago and plan to plant it this week, it's an apple blossom amaryllis. I want to keep it alive and bloom for years to come hopefully.

I've been reading up on care and basically from what I understand its basically plant it leaving 1/3 of the bulb exposed, water sparingly until it starts growing, bright light until it flowers, when flowering is done cut back flower but leave foliage and give it lots of sunshine outside. But then everywhere I look it says to stop watering late summer to force it to go dormant for 8 weeks and keep in 50f dark dry space.

So i'm wondering does it actually need to go dormant? and what happens if does not go dormant and when it gets cool outside I move it to a large southern bright window alongside my other houseplants? If it does not go dormant will it not bloom again, or is this done just to get it to bloom at a certain time and what's better for overall bulb health? Curious about this since I thought it's tropical and there's no real dormant season like here up North in the winter. Also I heard to keep it in a dry and dark place but some say 50f other say 55f and ive even hear up to 60f...what is the highest temp and lowest temp (too cold in fridge and possibly in garage in winter) I can store it for dormancy if it is necessary?

Thanks, hopefully some amaryllis experts can give me some tips!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions