SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

Question About Leaf Rooting,In 'Soil'.

PoohBearLvr
6 years ago

Well. I am trying to root babies from a few leaves, from 2 of my fantasy bloomers. My 'Gee Pee', and 'Cosmos Legend-2', even though MY 'Cosmos' bloomed solid blue, if might revert back to fantasy, and if it doesn't, I actually love the huge plant and the mass of blue/purple flowers I got from it.

So I now have 4 leaves of 'Gee Pee' and 2 of 'Cosmos' in tiny 2in pots, with rooting hormone, I cut the stems very close to the leaf, I heard it should be close to the leaf. Was that right? They are planted in what I found, called 'Seed Starting Mix', it says it is for starting seeds, AND plants from cuttings. It is a Miracle-Gro soil-less mix. Is this ok?

Pure vermiculite is only in the big 8 quart bag, and thats a waste, when you only need a cup of it! I have them in an aluminum tray, and covered them loosely with clear saran wrap, to try and trap some moisture for the leaves, and put them near my grow lights, since they throw off so much light to the sides, it hits the leaves. I figure it is a good light for them.

About how long will it take for the leaves to root/grow babies? It has been a LONGGG time since I tried to do this. But if i can get some real fantasy bloomers out of this, it might be worth it. MONTHS from now, when I see the first blooms. I might have some trades available for other fantasy growers on here!

So...am I doing it right? OR...any hints?

Comment (1)