SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gth842s

Can you grow citrus outside if winter temperatures don't get above 55?

PacNorWreck
6 years ago

Citrus theory / science question here - I'm a little demoralized by another rough winter, citrus-wise. My Santa Teresa Lemon from FWG collapsed, and my Rangpur lime (also from FWG) started showing the same symptoms, making me put it into quarantine outside. My Marrakech from FWG is also dropping leaves despite being under 2 T5 grow lights with temperatures between 60 and 70. My Limequat from Harris on Volk is doing great inside, which is even more confusing and why I suspect FWG's rootstock doesn't do well in my conditions. My Yuzu stays outside and is mostly unfazed each winter, even in 10F weather with some protection last year.

Here in Seattle, we have fewer than 20 days, on average, where the temperature goes below 32 for any length of time. Average HIGHS are only above 55F for 7 months out of the year, however.

So here's the question - theoretically, if I left citrus outside over the winter and took them inside for the 20 or so periods where temperatures fall below freezing, would that be better than just taking them inside for the entire winter?

1. Will the plants be more or less likely to survive outside? They'll have (much, much) more light but obviously much, much less heat.

2. Can citrus ripen fruit at temperatures below 55F? From what I've read, roots don't do much below 55F so I would think the answer would be no, and yet my Yuzu has ripened fruit in the cold.

Comments (19)