SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hooked123

Rome, Santorini, Istanbul, Budapest and Prague...

hooked123
6 years ago

My husband surprised our family with tickets to Europe. We will be going for three weeks in May. We are thinking of the above cities. When we traveled to Japan last spring, Socks a GW member, helped me tremendously by telling me of her adventures in Japan and I truly appreciated her advice. If anyone would like to share their past adventures in Europe please do. The above cities are not set in stone except for Rome, I am all ears if you went to any other European countries that were amazing please share.

Comments (18)

• hooked123
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

In Japan we traveled to seven cities in 2 weeks and enjoyed getting to see so many new things. I do feel like we will have enough time and more importantly energy to see 4-5 countries. Our two adult children 23 and 19 will be with us.

• socks
    6 years ago

Awww, thanks for the kind words, Sabbath. It was a nice trip down memory lane to share my trip.

The only one of the above cities I've been to is Prague. Beautiful, Old World, cobbled streets. We took a river cruise on the Elbe River from Berlin (I think it was!) to Prague. We saw some beautiful countryside, but might be too slow and long for your group. You might think about Berlin. Some WWII history there.

Check the U.S. Department of State for travel alerts or warnings. I checked Turkey, and there is a "Travel Warning" issued for that country. You'll want to look at it. I didn't check the other places.

We enjoyed Holland in May several years ago. The tulips might be blooming at the Keukenhof garden when you go, the canals, Anne Frank's house, windmills, art museums.

How exciting! Your "kids" are definitely getting an education via world travel.

hooked123 thanked socks
  • hooked123
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Socks you are the best!! My favorite memory of Japan was Miyajima. Remember you told me about Miyayima but I accidentally went to Miyajima hahaha!

• glenda_al
    6 years ago

Istanbul was awesome, but I would not go there now. My thoughts only.

hooked123 thanked glenda_al
  • ont_gal
    6 years ago

Elmer would likely be a good source of info for this question.....

hooked123 thanked ont_gal
  • User
    6 years ago

Prague and Budapest- I can attest to how awesome they are to visit and since they are really pretty close--- and I have to say that in addition to being amazingly breathtakingly beautiful Budapest also has the BEST desserts ever tasted-------highly recommend. I too would not do Istanbul. just my 2 cents.

• sleeperblues
    6 years ago

I've been to Rome a couple of times. Much to see, of course, but when we were there it was quite dicey with the gypsies. I don't know if that has been cleaned up. One time a band of them surrounded my husband to try to steal his belongings. He was aware of what was happening and started yelling and shoving and they disbursed. You must be extremely careful there. Kids have been to Prague and Budapest and absolutely loved both of them. They are on my hit list of cities to visit. Sounds like a wonderful trip!

hooked123 thanked sleeperblues
  • Fran
    6 years ago

I haven't been to Istanbul or Santorini but have been to the others. Rome is definitely my favorite of those you listed. The only problem with the selection you have is that those cities are far apart and you would spend lot of time getting from one to the other. Might be better to pick one or two countries and concentrate on them. Paris is my favorite city in all of Europe.

hooked123 thanked Fran
  • tvq1
    6 years ago

What a wonderful Christmas surprise, sabbath7!

Rome is wonderful--about 3-4 days is just right. Have you considered Florence? It is beautiful and interesting, and the art at every turn is wonderful. And of course, Venice is iconic.

We have also been to Prague and Istanbul. Istanbul is my 2nd favorite city in all of our many travels--it's fascinating and the people are so friendly and welcoming.

I do agree with with Fran that concentrating on one general area would be best use of your time. Even though 3 weeks sounds like a long time, every time you change locations you lose a whole day.

I have a blog of all our travels, with a day by day account (with lots of photos) of our stays in Rome (twice) Prague and Istanbul, as well as many other cities. If you would like to take a look, just PM me and I'll give you a link.

Happy travels to you and your family!

hooked123 thanked tvq1
  • chisue
    6 years ago

Have you visited places closer to Rome in the past? The Italian Lakes, Switzerland, France?

I also think you are roaming too far from your anchor city, Rome. Regardless, I'd cut Santorini and Istanbul. Prague used to be a relative backwater, but no more.

Our DIL's parents took the family to Poland for two weeks this summer. They found it interesting and not very 'touristy'.

May sounds great!

hooked123 thanked chisue
  • hooked123
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Such great advice! I have never been to Europe.

• blfenton
    6 years ago

RIght now I wouldn't do Istanbul either.

We took our kids to the main cities of Europe a few years ago Rome, Amsterdam, Paris etc. Since then they have both done the eastern European countries Prague, Budapest, Berlin and loved those cites much more than the others. They did their travelling by train by flying into Frankfurt and then train to Berlin and then heading south using train.

Have you considered Croatia? One of our sons did Croatia as part of his eastern European trip and thought it was fascinating mainly staying in Dubrovnik. He loved it so much his brother is traveling there in April.

Friends of ours went to Rome in the spring and then flew from there to Croatia and it was easily doable. I don't know if they booked that flight from here or from Rome.

I have done western European a couple of times but never the eastern part and would love to some day. I have never been to Cinque Terre which I would also like to do some day. Have fun!

hooked123 thanked blfenton
  • Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

First and foremost, avoid the peak months of June-August wherever you go, unless you plan to spend your time in Northern Europe (which everyone leaves at vacation time to go south.). Another thing to remember is you'll often get a better fare if you arrive and leave from the same European city, so that suggests the need for some kind of circular route.

In my teens and twenties, it was nothing to grab a backpack and a train pass and bounce around like a pinball from place to place. As the years have passed, my expectations and preferences are higher and I won't go anywhere without staying at least 3 nights - 4 is better and more even better.

The European continent is large and you can't quickly bounce from place to place without spending time (and money and effort) for the trip. Do you want to see cities (that's the best choice)? For three weeks, I'd pick 4-5 major cites in adjacent or nearly adjacent countries and travel by train. Or spend 3 weeks in Italy, or 3 weeks in Spain, or 3 weeks in France. Pack light.

Pick the place you want to see most and then riff from that. Rome? Then I'd include a day trip to Naples (Pompeii) and go to Florence, then on to Munich - Vienna-Prague-Budapest-Berlin (pick a few). Or, London-Paris (channel tunnel train is very quick)-Brussels-Amsterdam-Rhine River boat ride for a few days (pick a few) or fly to Berlin and Prague.

There's not one itinerary, everyone has different interests and preferences. To me, the best things to spend time doing are live entertainment (theater in London and concerts elsewhere), visiting museums, a few churches (depends where you are) and especially visiting historical sites. I always allow time for people watching and mingling among the people in their everyday activities.

My best suggestion is to keep the distances down. Allow plenty of time to wander around, sitting in cafes and observing life (just as locals do).

Sometimes quicker than the train for longer distances are the cut rate airlines. Carriers like Easyjet, flybe, Ryanair, etc. They're perfectly adequate but expect to be nickeled and dimed for basic stuff though the ultimate cost will remain a bargain. For close cities, trains are faster and they take you from city center to city center.

Better to see fewer places well than more places in a rush. Leave many destinations unvisited to allow for more future trips.

hooked123 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • hooked123
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I really thank everyone for their input. I understand about picking a few cities. I am concerned that we may never have the opportunity to go again as we aren't wealthy. My husband used points ( he traveled for work a lot last year) and got our tickets for basically free, just as he had done with our Japan trip. I loved taking the bullet train from city to city in Japan and would like to take the train from Budapest to Vienna to Prague. My children and husband have a fascination with Istanbul and really want to see it, that's why it was on the list.

• blfenton
    6 years ago

It looks like there are US travel advisories for Turkey. I don't know what level but might want to check them out.

hooked123 thanked blfenton
  • Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

It's true that Turkey, a wonderful country with very nice people (some I know here and from the accounts of many I know who have visited) may not be a good choice as a tourist destination right now, especially in the major cities like Istanbul. There has been civil/political unrest and also several terrorist incidents. Hope that things improve to allow a visit in the future.

hooked123 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • DawnInCal
    6 years ago

We spent three weeks visiting Stockholm and Torun, Poland back in October. Stockholm is a beautiful city with a lot to see and do. I had a meal there that ranks as one of the top ten meals I've ever had. When pressed for time a hop on/hop off bus is a great way to get around and see a large city. Stockholm can be expensive

Torun is a charming small city with a walled old city that sits on the Vistula River and that dates back to the 1200s. It is the only city in Poland that didn't sustain damage during WWII so the old buildings are still intact. It is inexpensive, has much to see and do, great food and the people were very nice. Most of the old city is closed to vehicle traffic making it a pleasant place to walk.

Wherever you decide to go, have a great time - so exciting!

hooked123 thanked DawnInCal