SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carole_lasorsa

Kitchen island screw up

Carole LaSorsa
6 years ago
I need professional advice on this one. my kitchen renovation is almost complete and I love the way everything turned out so far There's just one problem with it. I had the island moved out pretty far . We took out the dining room wall and ans placed the island on the very end of the kitchen where the porcelain floor will transition into the wood floor in the dining room. Esthetically it looks like the island is too far away from the range and the cabinets on the other side. it's 69 and 3/4 in.from the other side. my contractor is kind enough to move the island in about 20 in. I want to know from the professionals how far should the island be from the cabinets on the other side where the range is. lt's a small island only 56 in with a 12-inch overhang so I guess the width would be 36 in. The kitchen with is
120 " Wide I don't want to make a mistake a second time where I place it. Can anyone tell me where I should have him place it. He said that My stools will be in the kitchen but when I move them out they will be partway on the dining room wood side. I think I'm okay with that if I move it in 20in then I will have still have approximately 61 in from the cabinet to the island . I still think it will look better moved. Any advice?

Comments (83)

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Do you have a 2d layout?

• herbflavor
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Don't template the overhang. Turn the island and move up near range... add maybe 6 or 9 inch open shelves on backside....[coffee cups and grab type things] . Add table height surface that extends from side of assembly over into adjacent room. ....4 seats 2 on each side...across from each other. A net plus and your aisles by fridge will be usable. 2nd way: skip overhang and push island toward range/ add seating from backside in T format at table height. Your overhang eliminated which is wise, gives 2 ways possible with eating area butted at table height. I like the room adjacent ......with more seating at table height from your existing piece you'll have BETTER seating.can you use the granite....tell them cut off the overhang. Decide if you want to just push it in or rotate and you can design the table height part when you get to it. You do have issues with overhang dimension and aisle dimensions around fridge . You can get it much better.

• Related Discussions

I screwed up....

Q

Comments (16)
    I have heard from many BM users that the paint always turns out very close to the chip. My mistake was picking a trim color not in my light and not by my cupboards. I picked the wall paint with the cupboards present but not the trim. If the kitchen wasn't open to the greatroom I would just use a different trim. The greatroom has built in cabinets, coffered cielings and a 14ft wall of windows with thick trim. There is just too much to repaint with out it costing me too much money. The trim in the nook is hidden a bit so I could maybe get away with a slightly warmer white. I caught this problem way too late. I will definitely go buy some new light bulbs. I thought once everything was installed the creamy look I was a bit surprised about would tone down with countertops and appliances. When the paint was added it was opposite effect. It really looks bad. Do you think I should color match the trim to the cabinets? Use a warmer white trim in the kitchen area? Leave it?
    ...See More

don't want to cover up open concept kitchen hardwood floor with island

Q

Comments (7)
    Please post some pics, there are many ways to install a kitchen that virtually disappears when not in use but you need to be one of those people who IMO never cooks. Islands actually are a perfect way of visully marking spaces and do nothing to break up the sense of openess . If you do not want to damage the floors with an island get one that is not actually attached to the floor at all just like a 36” high table that can be moved.Keep in mind this will probably put dents in the floor just from the weight if it is not a table.
    ...See More

19" soffit over kitchen counter tops? Truss company screwed up

Q

Comments (4)
    Trusses cannot be modified without a written stamped plan from the engineer. Trusses can remade a lot easier than permission to modify can be given. The liability is too great for field modifications from an unknown skill set instead of factory conditions under supervision. Bottom chords are NOT going to be removable. That is a key structural component! They screwed up, they remake it. Simple. You screwed up, you pay to have it rebuilt. Also simple. Remaking on site as a kludge? Invalidates the engineering.
    ...See More

I screwed up my kitchen remodel. should I fix or move forward?

Q

Comments (6)
    the cabinets have plywood backs yes. Blocking may not be needed but it will make it easier and not all of my cabinets land on a stud so blocking is necessary. I wouldn't remove it becuase I just installed it. lol In my area, at least, you do not need nail plates when the wiring is centered in the stuff.
    ...See More
  • Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    They already did the template. The granite was already cut. They're installing it on Monday
  • Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    my refrigerator is a counter depth refrigerator it does not stick out a lot I know the 36" it's not ideal but could work it doesn't look bad I just moved a box there the refrigerator still could be brought out if it needed repairs
  • Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    My daughter has a similar kitchen except that her steps to her den are ot in the kitchen . They are in her living room so she was able to put her refrigerator against that wall that I did not have. I moved my wall back a foot to even make the refrigerator fit into the kitchen. It was not easy to figure it out There weren't many options. This is my daughter's kitchen. I have three different kitchen designers at my house and they also agreed the only way to fit the refrigerator in was too move the wall out 12 to 24 in. My biggest mistake was that I should have listened and got a 4-foot island instead of a 56 in Island. Those few inches would have made a big difference and I was stubborn
  • Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Herr kitchen is very similar but so lucky not to have the steps in the kitchen
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    6 years ago

We really need a 2d drawing with measurements. Even hand drawn is fine.

You said if you turn it, it’s almost the same dimension? That doesn’t make sense as it’s a rectangle not a square. It should be 56” by 36”, right?

Bar overhang shown in white

As it is I think,

Rotated,

• Blueberry Abode
    6 years ago

36" is enough for a walkway aisle but it looks like from your photo that you have working aisles on both sides (36" is to narrow for this). If you place your island 42" from your range, how many inches does that allow you to push in your island from where it is now?

• kim k
    6 years ago

In my current kitchen the isle the fridge is on is 41" counter to counter. We have a full size fridge there which sticks out (including the handle for the freezer drawer) 9" and the island ends right in front of it. We can open it just fine and grab things out, however I will say it's a huge pinch point in our kitchen and one of the things that sparked our remodel. With a family using it daily it's just too tight. Counter depth would be better but not perfect.

Our fridge is not paneled in though so we can slide it out sideways to get behind or under. If it was walled in by cabinets we wouldn't be able to move it out easily if at all. Just something to consider. At the end of the day most of us don't have perfect aisle widths or appliance placements and live with it just fine. If this was my brand new kitchen however I'd take the time to get it exactly right even though I'm sure at this point you just want your kitchen back. IMO you should take the time now, post your measurements and layout and listen to everyone's advice while you have time to properly correct your mistake!

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    They are moving it now. I see no problem I love it it looks so much better! I know I only have the 36in on the refrigerator side I have a counter depth refrigerator and I think it looks fine. I know that's not the rule but I have limited space. I have 48 in to the range handle
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

I’m not concerned about your fridge distance. What is the distance from countertop to dishwasher?

• chispa
    6 years ago

You have 2 floor HVAC vents in your main kitchen aisle ... right where someone could drop an open carton of milk? Not very practical and looks poorly planned.

• chispa
    6 years ago

It seems you had decided what you were doing before you posted your question. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• cpartist
    6 years ago

And what happens when you open your freezer drawer. How far into the aisle does it stick out? Same with the dishwasher open?

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Counter-depth french-doors have about a 45 or 46" inch max depth, with that bottom drawer pulled all the way out. Assuming counter is no more than 26" from the wall, I'm guessing that the bottom drawer will extend about 20" into the aisle, pulled all the way out.

I wish your fridge was not so darn far from the sink, but the island should help with that.

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I had no choice the fridge could only go where it is if I put the fridge near the sink then it would have been right next to the dishwasher and that would have looked awful
  • vicbayside
    6 years ago

Sorry you ended up with such a dilemma so close to the finish line. If it were me and it were possible to make it a peninsula, it would make a nice work flow and the fridge would be open and available to all without being inconveniently tight. If you are dead set on keeping an island, I would leave it at the farthest point as a seating area. Most of your prep work will then be done between the sink and range.. My last kitchen had an island about 42 inches away from fridge and although it was manageable, if you were doing anything on that side of the island and someone needed something out of the fridge you had to move. Make it work, no regrets :)

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I had a kitchen designer initially. He laid it out the same way. They both suggested a 4-foot island. I went with 56 in. the designer gave me one other option and that was to move my steps from my kitchen into my living room. That was way over my budget. That was the only difference of how they were designed between the contractor and the kitchen designer
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

So 8 inches of room difference. I get it. I made a similar decision. I had planned on a 48” long island and was talked into making it 54. But I have open space on the end so it wasn’t too much of a sacrifice. I think you’ll be fine, really. It’s not ideal, but I am betting it will be workable.

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The one thing that the contractor did wrong put the island out too far which he's fixing
  • zmith
    6 years ago

I have a counter-depth SxS refrigerator 36" from a peninsula. It's tight, but I have plenty of room to get what I need, and I've moved it in/out of the space several times to clean behind it. You'll be fine. :)

• rebeccamomof123
    6 years ago

Ive been following this thread all along. I think the new placement looks great, and if it will work for YOU that is most important. I will say if someone is rummaging around in the fridge (like my tweens do about a million times a day thinking new food will magically appear) others will have to reroute to the dishwasher isle to get to the work space and vice versa, if someone's at the sink with the dishwasher open doing dishes. This will only be a real problem after dinner as the table is being cleared, dishes are being done and food's being put away. If you can live with a little traffic jam here and there I think it will be fine, and will look great. None of us have the absolute perfect kitchen although many will lead you to believe that they do.

When I posted my kitchen layout here years ago, I had many naysayers because my stove was opposite my sink which means carrying food after I prep it from the sink, area across the kitchen to the stove. Some folks here made it sound as if it was a legal violation and that my family members would be suffering burns on a routine basis. It's been perfect, it works for us, and I've created very functional shortcuts like when I chop veggies for soup, I toss them into a prep bowl after I cut them up and carry the bowl over to the soup pot on the stove as opposed to going from the cutting board to the soup pot. It works, the kitchen looks aesthetically beautiful and I haven't lost a single night of sleep over it.

I wish the same to you!

• Chessie
    6 years ago

rebeccamomof123, here here. Thank you for a voice of reason. It gets a little cray-cray on this forum sometimes when things like "aisle clearances" become a topic. :-)

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you so much Rebecca for your kindness and support! it's true my layout is not perfect but it works for us! it's just the two of us. No kids at home We liked everything white. The backsplash is also white shiny tiles. The drama will be in the granite. Everyone said I should do a wood floor I'm sure it would have looked great but I was tired of wood everywhere. We are refinishing all the wood floors downstairs. We're happy with the porcelain kitchen floor tiles ! I did ask for advice so I do appreciate everyone's comments even the negative ones! I will post a picture when it's all done.
  • rebunky
    6 years ago

If in your shoes and not having more funds, I think you made the best choice. Look forward to the reveal pictures.

• Cadyren
    6 years ago

I think you will be fine. I moved a peninsula & overhanging cabinets 5 years ago to rearrange my kitchen. I added a 4 foot island. Moved said cabinets to the dining room wall for a hutch like appearance. I wasn't doing new cabinets just a new wood floor throughout the main living area & new countertops. My island next to the dishwasher is only 37 inches counter to counter, but it hasn't been a problem. I do have 44 between the island & stove/refrigerator & 42 to the walkway wall. The kitchen had a 7 foot peninsula when the house was built & no dishwasher. I spent 17 years with a dishwasher facing the dining area in a 2 foot cabinet at the wall end of the peninsula, but I was glad to have the DW! I hated that I had to walk all the way around a 7 foot peninsula to get into my tiny kitchen. Sometimes we have to do what we can to make it best for us! Love the two ways in & that I have my island with outlets for baking. My overhang for seating is only 11 inches, but that hasn't been a problem either, even for my 6 foot 3 son. The original peninsula only had a 12 inch overhang. Enjoy your kitchen!

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Update
    Island moved. It all worked out!
  • Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Any suggestions for where to buy a dining room table and chairs? Possibly looking for a trestle table. Visited some local furniture stores was not really happy with anything. Raymour and Flanigan prices were good but nothing seems to work and the quality was just mediocre I'm looking for something contemporary possibly gray distressed I don't like dark wood
  • vicbayside
    6 years ago

Congrats, it looks wonderful, you must be so happy its all done!

I'm also looking for a new dining table and its scary to order online without seeing in person. Its hard to find everything to see in person though. I heard of Saloom on this forum and was able to find samples in person but of course not all of the tables. I will follow to see what others recommend as well! Best of luck and congrats again on your lovely kitchen!

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    There'ss a lot of things I like online but how do you buy something without seeing it in person?
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

I have a Saloom dining room table and chairs, bought it probably 15 years ago. I love it. I found it in a local furniture store. But I also have many pieces of furniture that were ordered from a catalog. Never had a problem loving each piece. Do you not have any “ good “ furniture stores near you that offer knowledgeable sales staff? To me, that is a requirement for furniture shopping.

• sabrinatx
    6 years ago

May I ask what stone did you use for your counter tops? It's so lovely.

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    This is the picture of what I returned from Raymour and Flanigan. I was going to try Bassett Furniture and Ethan Allen they are in my area but there are much prettier things online
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

Ethan Allen is so overpriced! Bassett - meh. Where are you located?

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I actually went into Ethan Allen with my husband and were in sticker shock! Their prices were really high and the furniture was okay nothing that great! I live in a suburb of Philadelphia. we bought a table and chairs and a leather couch at Raymour and Flanigan. The table was a dark espresso. it looks nice in the store but when I had it delivered to my house it just didn't look as nice! They told me the chairs were gray and they were really a beige color and the table had a chip on the bottom and the wood wasn't so great! I think that's what you get when you go to a store like Raymour and Flanigan. I hope the leather sectional that I ordered is much nicer because that was special ordered in gray and I can't return it.
  • Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    My granite is Silver Cloud. I like the slab because it wasn't too busy. Thank you I love it too
  • herbflavor
    6 years ago

look at canadel. they have a program ...actual size/shape/legs/wood/stain/etc can be selected. In your space, you can get the rectangular shape with rounded corners, for example. have a look.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    6 years ago

I love how your kitchen turned out!

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you so much! I was so worried about moving the island and the space but it seem to all work out! You really can't see my tile backsplash in the picture but they're very shiny and pretty! There was a lot of aggravation with that one little island but thank goodness it turned out okay so many rules about how much space to have and I know that I have less than I should but it worked in my small little kitchen
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    6 years ago

You should do a reveal post so we can see your beautiful backsplash. :)

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Canadel is awesome. I second that vote.

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

I ordered two living room chairs on line and the experience was good. I made sure I read all the unbiased reviews I could. I agree that the kitchen table you returned wasn't a good fit. It was too large for the area. Is it possible to order a kitchen table online from a furniture store and if you don't like it return it to the store instead of shipping it back? Hope you find one of your liking.

• elleewa
    6 years ago

I LOVE the finished kitchen! This is helpful to me as this is basically our exact kitchen/dining table layout except my fridge is to the right of the range before a corner pantry. Our fridge is also a tighter clearance but can be moved out/opened just fine and the trade off is more room EVERYWHERE else. Can I ask what counter depth fridge you have and how you like it? We house an extra fridge/freezer elsewhere and I'm looking for one down the road when we recover a new budget for one.

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I have an Electrolux counter depth refrigerator. I wasn't sure if I was going to like counter depth. I absolutely now like it so much better! I really don't feel like I've lost any space everything that gets shoved to the back is now organized and nice and neat inside my refrigerator. Especially if you have another refrigerator. My refrigerator is very pretty but I am not happy with the ice maker lever. For an expensive refrigerator the lever is made out of silver material that is not stainless steel and it gets all scratched up! I'm a little OCD with scratching and marks ad I don't like the way the scratches look on the outside of the refrigerato!. Alll of my appliances are Electrolux
  • Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    thank you for the nice compliment!
  • elleewa
    6 years ago

that is great to know. Those darn things ARE pricey. I don't know how many zillion times a day I wipe my fridge down to find a new ding/scratch.

• cluelessincolorado
    6 years ago

Turned out beautifully! Is that a GE Cafe range? If so, is it one of the new 6 burner cooktop and what is Your opinion of it? Check out Room and Board for furniture. Pricey, but nice quality.

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    it's not a GE gas range. It's an Electrolux
  • cluelessincolorado
    6 years ago

Thank you

• Rachel Pennell
    6 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! I LOVE your countertops. I'm glad you went with white and let the granite be the star of this show. It's stunning.