SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_47017541

Tricked into buying a sick Philodendron plant? - PICS - help!

User
6 years ago

Hi - I am really new to plants and bought a Split Leaf Philodendron yesterday in nyc flower district. I saw brown on it but the woman kept reassuring me that it was because it didn't have enough natural light and it would be fine at home. I got it home and saw a clear fast moving bug on it, so I managed to wash it away with water and I sprinkled Diameticus Earth on the surface of the dirt. I also cut 2 of the biggest brown leaves away like 3/4 down the stem where it gets thicker.

I then started googling and realized that this plant may have a bacteria disease? Mites? Too much fertilizer? (It has a bunch of little balls of fertilizer food in the soil and the soil was super dry when I got it).

Some of the leaves are beautiful green and shiny smooth. Other leaves are stipled with brown, and others have a black middle part. The new rolled leaves have black spots (see pictures). I do not see any webbing really (although one leaf had white on the top surface but it seemed like dust which I wiped off). I have been searching forever but can't find any pictures of exactly what this plant has. I have a few other new plants, so I isolated this one into another room - but can anyone please advise if this is really just a sun issue, or something bigger? Much appreciated!

Full Plant:

New Leaf:

One of the bigger leaves close up:

The bigger leaf above another shot:

A smaller leaf:

Thank you!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner