SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01

Chanukkah menu?

6 years ago

My DH is Jewish and his parents always have a small Chanukkah dinner. They have moved to smaller place and are getting older so this year, we decided to do it. I am not an experienced hostess, but I'd like to make it nice even if there are only a few guests.

I have the sides taken care of (latkes, warm wild rice and roasted carrot salad, potato knishes), but I'm not sure about the main course. One of my DDs is a long time vegetarian/pescatarian and now her younger sister is trying out a vegan diet. I think I will still make a meat main course, but can't decide between chicken, lamb or salmon. If I go for the salmon, I won't have to worry about the vegetarian DD and the vegan could just have the sides. I'd probably also make meat balls as these seem to be a staple at all their family meals. Hey, maybe I could make vegan meatballs! Anyone have a recipe?

Comments (19)

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Traditionally latkes are served with applesauce and sour cream, which makes it a dairy meal. So traditionally meat would not be served with latkes. So I would definitely go with the salmon because it would be more traditional even if you aren't worried about it being kosher. Plus, it will be delicious. Non-meat borscht is traditional at our house, and I do have a recipe for that but at our house, Manischevitz borscht in a jar is actually the favorite version. I can't stand the stuff. I also make matzah balls and serve in veggie broth, so that can be done. I really love the "Better Than Bouillon" veggie version. Any other fish you like would be good too. I'm mostly vegetarian, so I would serve deviled eggs or cottage cheese if I wanted more protein. But I often make a cheesecake for Hannukah dessert and with a hearty borscht version of soup plus sour cream, that's enough since I just pig out on latkes.

• 6 years ago

I wouldn't do knishes and latkes. But, even though it is still starchy, I would do a noodle kugel. There are many online where you use tofu. You can do savory or sweet. I don't have a tried and true vegan, I do have a very plain one that you could convert and I can look for it if you are interested. I love the dairy ones, personally.

Yes to the salmon, as it will cover two bases.

Do some nice roasted veggies. Brussel sprouts etc.

Trader Joes makes meatless meatballs, and I think they are vegan. At any rate, I would get a ready-made one.

ETA: Pink and I posted at the same time. If you are doing the kosher route than just serve applesauce. Pink, someday I would like to get ideas from you as I have two vegetarian DD's. They are n their own, but of course still come home.

• 6 years ago

I completely forgot about the matzah ball soup! Of course, I have to have that. I have a good veggie broth, but I've never made the balls before. I hope it's not hard. I don't suppose I could make them ahead and freeze them?

Good to hear the fish is okay. I'm pretty sure everyone likes salmon, so I will probably stick with that and b/c I make it often, it is a low stress dish for me.

Definitely doesn't have to be kosher, but I would like it to be somewhat traditional.

eld, I will look for a vegan kugel recipe as kugel is the vegan DD's fave dish and I'm already feeling like she is getting the short end of the stick (altho, really - vegan? hasn't she heard me whine about having to make her sister separate proteins all these years?). I might do separate roasted veggies, but I usually throw in a few roasted types of roasted veggies in the warm salad.

• 6 years ago

I was groaning at the thought of vegan kugel (tossing out everything that makes kugel worth eating) and then I thought of using cashew cream in it. Soak cashews in water and blend until smooth, add a bit of lemon and salt. I've made it just once when I was in a vegan bind but it seemed to have good possibilities.

• 6 years ago

As far as matzo ball soup, the maneschevitz(sp) mixes are really pretty good. I have never made them from scratch, however.

• 6 years ago

Never fail secret recipe for matzah balls - use the Maneschevitz mix. Sometimes you just need a no brainer! Latkes are a pain to make so focus on those. I always get raves on my matzaball soup . . . Other vegan options would be braised cabbage with onions and carrots and then you can add vegan bratwurst. We have that meal quite often, with meat brats for my SO and the vegan version for me. And yes, kugels, either noodle or carrot, even cabbage but those are not vegan although maybe you can make them vegan. I am a lacto-ovo mostly vegetarian although I do like to eat a lot of vegan meals. You can even make chocolate pie or pudding with tofu. I usually serve coleslaw as a salad. You could also do a three bean or other bean salad. I make a kind of Mediterranean white bean salad with nicoise olives, celery, red onions, and you can add colored peppers too. Top with a few toasted sunflower seeds before serving. I have made carrot bisque with plain soy milk which could be a starter, or tomato soup if folks don't like borscht.

• 6 years ago

Easier the better. I will use the M. mix for the soup. MIL is bringing the latkes (so no stinky house) and DH's aunt is bringing dessert.

Pinkmtn, I appreciate the suggestions. I'll use them for other meals even if not for this one. I applaud my DD for trying the vegan thing but, man, it makes things more difficult. Luckily, she is of an age where she can take some responsibility for planning/cooking her own meals.

• 6 years ago

I don't think I've ever had matzoh balls from a mix, they're so simple: just matzoh meal, eggs, salt & some fat. I saw a recipe w/ some baking powder for a fluffier result, but I like the firm kind my originally Catholic mother learned to make after marrying into my dad's Jewish family.

It wasn't too hard for her to adapt her cooking, BTW, since a lot Lithuanian dishes are very similar. She always made a savory potato kugel and my aunt made the sweet noodle kind.

I loved the Manischewitz gefilte fish as a child, though I haven't eaten any in decades. We always had their jarred borscht as well.

• 6 years ago

(you all have my deepest admiration

we just make latkes. No, no meat since sour cream. My DS can't have dairy..well he doesn't have to have sour cream

we probably make something else too, but it's different each time while latkes are latkes. roasted carrot salad sounds delicious.

soup with matzo balls- I make real meat one, kosher chicken, root veggies and all, and for other holidays. but yes Manishevich matzo ball mix is the best. I (or kids) make balls separately...since I can't have them for example. So everybody adds separately boiled matzo balls, from a separate bowl, to his hot soup.

can't say the same about gefilte fish since I know how real one should taste..and of course not about borsh, same reason...btw I never learned to make REAL gefilte fish..was my Grandma's specialty..I should have asked her when I could..

but my DH LOVES Manishevich gefilte fish and he did try some real one in his childhood, not by my Grandma though, so he just thinks I don't understand in good food))

borsh, I always make vegetarian(or used to make..I seldom cook now, holidays are usually the only days I do)..so if already going for soup, borsh is a possibility of course. it's a bit of hassle I must say. But I can give a recipe if you want! Mine includes either beans or peas to compensate over the lack of meat. Hope I remember it of course..

(everybody makes borsh differently. the best ones come with beef. take hours of work btw. otherwise veggies should be a bit roasted (or fried? just a bit) in a pan first before they go into the pot. except for beets. Beets, you take out later, and you grate them and put back into the pot when they're soft enough.)

not that you need it IMO-I really think you have enough to satisfy most discerning eaters))

but if to have main dish already I as others vote salmon

• 6 years ago

fwiw we almost always had apple sauce with our latkes (and usually brisket:).

And as the years went on ----ready for it-- ketchup!

Making a brisket this week not sure if I will do the latkes though I adore them, just not sure. I think my DD will be making them when we go there.

Never acquired a taste for borscht though I remember my dad eating and loving it- with sour cream (dairy meal).....Gefilte fish I can eat like once a year at passover. not a big lover of it.

Never had matzoh balls on chanukkah though we definitely had matzo balls through the year.

I would love a recipe for a potato kugel (never cared for the noodle kugel ) if anyone is sharing.

• 6 years ago

PS now I feel very guilty about my comment ..the part about borsh and gefilte fish. Didn't mean for it to come out that way. I'm probably just being nostalgic about "old good times"..

I am very sorry. The important part is-well you know-Happy upcoming Chanukah! Light and warmth and miracles big and small, everyone..

• 6 years ago

april, I'm not sure what comment you are referring to, but I don't think anything you said was in least bit anything to feel guilty about. This is all great info for me. I've always felt like it was enough for me to try to keep up with my own family traditions, trying to figure out DH's was just too much. I do think my MIL appreciates me taking it over as it is getting tough for her to keep doing it now.

• 6 years ago

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of my mom's potato kugel - originally my grandmother's recipe, but this looks a lot like the recipe my mother would use:

https://www.thespruce.com/classic-potato-kugel-2122379

• 6 years ago

thank you Carol- I have always loved potato kugel. one of these days I will give this a try. looks divine.

• 6 years ago

For some reason, I promised my class of 21 six year olds that I would bring in latkes for them to try tomorrow. I have 2 with no gluten and 3 no dairies. All I want to do is crawl into bed, but I'm about to experiment with baked latkes instead.

• 6 years ago

My mom’s family (lived in SF) were non observant Jews. Sometimes they’d be at our house around Passover and we’d have my grandmother’s wonderful matzo ball soup. They were huge and on the heavy side. I couldn’t abide gefilte fish but wish I had her recipe for those matzo balls. I do keep a box of Manischewitz mb mix whenever I get a hankering for some.

I miss my grandparents from both sides.

• 6 years ago

My mom made the best gefilte fish--but I can't unsee the carp in the bathtub!

• 6 years ago

Wishing you all the beautiful warming light of the first night of Chanukah!