SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aawood22

Kitchen layout advice please!

Allison M
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We're working on our kitchen layout and have incorporated many of the comments received here (thanks to all!). I think we're getting closer, but the proportions seem off to me and I'm not sure the best way to fix it. I'm including the floor plan and a rendering below (don't mind the super ugly rendering, it just gives a general idea of what the layout will be).

Details - 9' ceilings, cabs will go all the way to the top, we have a large pantry, so I'm not worried about extra cabinet space, we will need a post somewhere, but waiting to hear from engineering on where that post will be, the island is currently 9'x4', but that may have to change somewhat depending on placement of post, we plan on having open shelves next to the fridge and glass doors on the cabs near the French doors. Also, the door to the left of the fridge into the mudroom will just be an open walkway.

Problems

1. The counter to the left of the fridge (next to the doorway) seems to big. However, I will have a beam running just to the left of the fridge. If I move the fridge, I'll have to have the beam run into the crown over the fridge, which I don't like. Alternatively, I could make the cab above the fridge shorter and just have that cab not go all the way to the fridge to leave room for the beam. Thoughts on how to make that work?

1. The lone cabinet next to the window seems too small. I had wanted a bigger one, but if I want a larger window centered on the sink that's about as big as I can have. I really don't want the cabinets to extend any further into the family room. I was thinking about getting rid of the upper corner cabinet, moving the sink over and having the window start pretty much in the corner. Alternatively, I could have a 4' window instead, but it won't be the three window as Andersen doesn't make one smaller than 5'.
  2. I also think the cab between the fridge and the stove is too small and I'd like more space there. Moving the fridge over would help, but then I run into the beam issue.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Comments (7)