SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaparral_gw

small kitchen layout advice please

chaparral
13 years ago

Hi--

We are in the middle of a major remodel, and have just demo'd our old kitchen. Our current design is attached. Our kids are almost off to college, so most of the time it will be my wife and I, though we would like to entertain more and we both like to cook. We would like to be able to cook simultaneously more effectively than we have been able to because of space constraints of our old (demo'd) kitchen. Some other points--the fridge is placed against the top wall of the upside-down 'U' in part to help the small kitchen feel as open as possible. The oven is in the best spot for venting. I'd like to increase our stove to a 6 burner style as shown. The cleanup sink is opposite the stove on something of an island--though there is a short wall along the end of the island so I'm not sure exactly what we should call it. There is a raised breakfast bar opposite this 7' leg / island. From the current sink position you can see out through the family room out windows to the foothills. Opposite the 'U' we're placing a prep sink with a fair amount of counter space for an auxiliary prep area, particularly when we have larger gatherings or my mom comes over. We are increasing the ceiling from 8 to 9', and probably adding a solatube to get some more natural light in the room and help it feel bigger.

The most natural spot for dish storage is at the bottom of the kitchen, pretty much equidistant to the dining room and family room / breakfast bar. Downside of this is that unloading the dishwasher will mean crossing a traffic path. Probably not too big a deal. Also, I'm a bit concerned about dishes piling up there on the island. One thing we could do I suppose would be to change the floor-ceiling pantry next to the fridge to a counter, so at least dirty dishes could be stashed out of the way.

We considered switching the stove and cleanup sink. If we did this then we could store dishes right above the sink and dishwasher. On the other hand we probably spend more time at the sink than at the stove so think socially it would make more sense to have the sink on the island and I'm not too keen about down-venting.

The main prep area will be in the corner between the fridge and stove. Secondary will be above the dishwasher and third near the task sink.

I've tried laying out several other arrangements, and everything has its downside. I tried putting the cleanup area at the very bottom near the dish storage, but then this would be right in the traffic path. It's possible to put the stove down where the prep sink is, but then it would be a hike from the fridge and we'd be passing the traffic path again. If we put the fridge where the prep sink is then we could move the cleanup area to where the fridge currently is. Then maybe put the prep sink where the cleanup sink is. This would give some more counter space in the main part of the kitchen, and be pretty convenient for unloading / loading groceries.

The plumber did a half day of rough plumbing based on the current plan yesterday (a bit sooner than I thought was going to happen) so I'm a bit panicky.

Any words from the wise? Advice / tips appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: layout

Comments (25)