SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 12 - 5 - 17

User
6 years ago

It seems proper, at all events, that by an early enactment similar to that of other countries the application of public money by an officer of Government to private uses should be made a felony and visited with severe and ignominious punishment.
Martin Van Buren
\

Christina Rossetti Quotes
British - Poet December 5, 1830 - December 29, 1894

For there is no friend like a sister in calm or stormy weather; To cheer one on the tedious way, to fetch one if one goes astray, to lift one if one totters down, to strengthen whilst one stands.
Christina Rossetti

My heart is like a singing bird.
Christina Rossetti

Obedience is the fruit of faith.
Christina Rossetti

Better by far you should forget and smile that you should remember and be sad.
Christina Rossetti

Love shall be our token; love be yours and love be mine.
Christina Rossetti

Silence is more musical than any song.
Christina Rossetti

Who has seen the wind? Neither you nor I but when the trees bow down their heads, the wind is passing by.
Christina Rossetti

Can anything be sadder than work left unfinished? Yes, work never begun.
Christina Rossetti

I dream of you to wake; would that I might Dream of you and not wake but slumber on.
Christina Rossetti

She gave up beauty in her tender youth, gave all her hope and joy and pleasant ways; she covered up her eyes lest they should gaze on vanity, and chose the bitter truth.
Christina Rossetti

Hope is like a harebell trembling from its birth.
Christina Rossetti

And all the winds go sighing, for sweet things dying.
Christina Rossetti

I might show facts as plain as day: but, since your eyes are blind, you'd say, 'Where? What?' and turn away.
Christina Rossetti

Rose Wilder Lane Quotes
American - Journalist December 5, 1886 - October 30, 1968

I came out of the Soviet Union no longer a communist, because I believed in personal freedom.
Rose Wilder Lane

As novices, we think we're entirely responsible for the way people treat us. I have long since learned that we are responsible only for the way we treat people.
Rose Wilder Lane

The need for Government is the need for force; where force is unnecessary, there is no need for Government.
Rose Wilder Lane

Making the best of things is... a damn poor way of dealing with them. My whole life has been a series of escapes from that quicksand.
Rose Wilder Lane

The real protection of life and property, always and everywhere.
Rose Wilder Lane

Writing fiction is... an endless and always defeated effort to capture some quality of life without killing it.
Rose Wilder Lane

Little Richard Quotes
American - Musician Born: December 5, 1932

I think God made a woman to be strong and not to be trampled under the feet of men. I've always felt this way because my mother was a very strong woman, without a husband.
Little Richard

Gay people are the sweetest, kindest, most artistic, warmest and most thoughtful people in the world. And since the beginning of time all they've ever been is kicked.
Little Richard

Elvis may be the King of Rock and Roll, but I am the Queen.
Little Richard

Greed has taken the whole universe, and nobody is worried about their soul.
Little Richard

I think people who don't believe in God are crazy. How can you say there is no God when you hear the birds singing these beautiful songs you didn't make?
Little Richard

I also like the banging piano - that old good-time piano.
Little Richard

I don't think a woman has to act like a man to show that she has strength.
Little Richard

When you sit down and think about what rock 'n' roll music really is, then you have to change that question. Played up-tempo, you call it rock 'n' roll; at a regular tempo, you call it rhythm and blues.
Little Richard

I'm very much a gentleman in what I do.
Little Richard

But men are so full of greed today, they'll sell anything for a little piece of money.
Little Richard

I look back on my life, comin' out of Macon, Georgia - I never thought I'd be a superstar, a living legend. I never heard of no rock and roll in my life.
Little Richard

A lot of people call me the architect of rock & roll. I don't call myself that, but I believe it's true.
Little Richard

And I'd like to give my love to everybody, and let them know that the grass may look greener on the other side, but believe me, it's just as hard to cut.
Little Richard

But when I went on the stage to do a show, I would put on makeup because I felt that it enhanced my act; it drew attention to what I was doing.
Little Richard

I try to be a guide for people, to make their darkness bright and to make the pathway light, and never to condemn or control or criticize.
Little Richard

I thank God for making me a man.
Little Richard

I did what I felt, and I felt what I did, at all costs.
Little Richard

Black people lived right by the railroad tracks, and the train would shake their houses at night. I would hear it as a boy, and I thought: I'm gonna make a song that sounds like that.
Little Richard

God is omnipotent, He is omniscient, and He is ever present.
Little Richard

I also think that what's wrong with all of us is that we don't show enough love toward each other.
Little Richard

Some situations you cause yourself.
Little Richard

I was always my own person.
Little Richard

I'm here to sing.
Little Richard

To me, true rock 'n' roll has a lot of bottom in it.
Little Richard

People called rock & roll 'African music.' They called it 'voodoo music.' They said that it would drive the kids insane. They said that it was just a flash in the pan - the same thing that they always used to say about hip-hop.
Little Richard

I would wear flamboyant clothes and long hair, and most singers at the time didn't.
Little Richard

I never accepted the idea that I had to be guided by some pattern or blueprint.
Little Richard

I don't give the devil credit for creating nothing.
Little Richard

Now they have banging guitar and no bass and call it rock, but that's not what I call rock.
Little Richard

I think my legacy should be that when I started in show business, there wasn't no such thing as rock n' roll. When I started with 'Tutti Frutti,' that's when rock really started rocking.
Little Richard

God gives us the ability, but rock 'n' roll was created by men.
Little Richard

If I had my life to live over, I would want to be a man.
Little Richard

Rock 'n' roll offered me a platform to speak what I felt. It also offered me a platform to support my mama and my brothers and sisters - twelve children.
Little Richard

But I'm a rock 'n' roll singer; that's my livelihood, my occupation.
Little Richard

I always knew I was a man, always felt that I was a man, always wanted to be a man.
Little Richard

I don't think that you have to be effeminate to be sensitive.
Little Richard

And I think a woman should find it a joy to be female because God made both male and female.
Little Richard

But I was singing loud, and most singers weren't singing loud.
Little Richard

I love God, and I'm a follower.
Little Richard

I never heard nobody in my audience call me any kind of names.
Little Richard

I think they saw me as something like a deliverer, a way out. My means of expression, my music, was a way in which a lot of people wished they could express themselves and couldn't.
Little Richard

It was a way out of poverty. It was a way to success. It was a way to education. And it was a way to a brighter day for me.
Little Richard

No, I've never truly been a minister.
Little Richard

Plus I love Tanya Tucker and I love country music.
Little Richard

I've never gotten money from most of those records. And I made those records: In the studio, they'd just give me a bunch of words, I'd make up a song! The rhythm and everything. 'Good Golly Miss Molly'! And I didn't get a dime for it.
Little Richard

And I don't get down on nobody else for doing whatever else they do. To each his own.
Little Richard

I just want the world to know that God is present, that he's alive for ever more.
Little Richard

I let people know that it was all right to do the kinds of things I did.
Little Richard

I only wore makeup when I went onstage.
Little Richard

I think that a man should be caring.
Little Richard

I tried to look presentable for a show, but not for sexual attraction. It was strictly for show business.
Little Richard

I was really kind of shy as a child. But I would do things for attention.
Little Richard

I've never seen the devil create music.
Little Richard

Like, my mother would have company over, and I would sing so they'd pay attention to me.
Little Richard

My mother died, and I couldn't stand to look at her bedroom any more. I'd get sick. I've always been a momma's boy.
Little Richard

It's hard to have a friend when your name's a household word.
Little Richard

I'm a conductor of revivals. The only minister in the whole package. Little Richard, the evangelist.
Little Richard

I am the architect of rock n' roll. I have to be a fan of all its forms.
Little Richard

Calvin Trillin Quotes
American - Journalist Born: December 5, 1935

As far as I'm concerned, 'whom' is a word that was invented to make everyone sound like a butler.
Calvin Trillin

I'm more disturbed when people expect me to be serious.
Calvin Trillin

I actually think of being funny as an odd turn of mind, like a mild disability, some weird way of looking at the world that you can't get rid of.
Calvin Trillin

When it comes to Chinese food I have always operated under the policy that the less known about the preparation the better. A wise diner who is invited to visit the kitchen replies by saying, as politely as possible, that he has a pressing engagement elsewhere.
Calvin Trillin

Health food makes me sick.
Calvin Trillin

I never did very well in math - I could never seem to persuade the teacher that I hadn't meant my answers literally.
Calvin Trillin

Getting a tattoo would probably make me cry.
Calvin Trillin

The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.
Calvin Trillin

I've always thought that parallel parking was my main talent.
Calvin Trillin

When you're writing, you are robbed of your delivery.
Calvin Trillin

Canadians are very well behaved, they don't throw their food.
Calvin Trillin

I do remember in high school I wanted to be a disc jockey.
Calvin Trillin

You know, I used to say, when people say, 'How do you think about what to write about in the poems every week?' And I say, 'Well, I have to turn it in on Monday, so on Sunday nights I turn the shower to iambic pentameter and it sort of works out that way.'
Calvin Trillin

I never eat in a restaurant that's over a hundred feet off the ground and won't stand still.
Calvin Trillin

The question about those aromatic advertisements that perfume companies are having stitched into magazines these days is this: under the freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment, is smelling up the place a constitutionally protected form of expression?
Calvin Trillin

The shelf life of the average trade book is somewhere between milk and yogurt.
Calvin Trillin

What interests me is what you might call vernacular writing, writing that connects you to a place.
Calvin Trillin

When it comes to rapacious 19th century capitalism, my family's hands are clean.
Calvin Trillin

The food in such places is so tasteless because the members associate spices and garlic with just the sort of people they're trying to keep out.
Calvin Trillin

What campaigns are for is weeding out the people who, for one way or another, weren't making it for the long haul.
Calvin Trillin

I've written three books you could think of as memoirs.
Calvin Trillin

There's always a source for humor.
Calvin Trillin

If it's inappropriate to write about, if there's nothing funny about it, then it's not funny.
Calvin Trillin

We all know funny people who can't get it down on the page - even funny writers who can't get it down on the page.
Calvin Trillin

I don't cook. I don't know anything about food. I've never reviewed a restaurant.
Calvin Trillin

People, not just reporters, are more interested in politics than in government, so the actual issues wouldn't be something that interested them.
Calvin Trillin

With humor, it's so subjective that trying to think of what the ideal reader would think would drive you crazy.
Calvin Trillin

Being on a book tour is a lot easier than reporting.
Calvin Trillin

I don't mind being interviewed on television or radio.
Calvin Trillin

I don't think I've ever read a food piece or a food book.
Calvin Trillin

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions