SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 11 - 12 - 17

User
6 years ago

Elizabeth Cady Stanton Quotes
American - Activist November 12, 1815 - October 26, 1902

The history of the past is but one long struggle upward to equality.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men and women are created equal.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

The moment we begin to fear the opinions of others and hesitate to tell the truth that is in us, and from motives of policy are silent when we should speak, the divine floods of light and life no longer flow into our souls.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

We are the only class in history that has been left to fight its battles alone, unaided by the ruling powers. White labor and the freed black men had their champions, but where are ours?
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

The best protection any woman can have... is courage.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women's emancipation.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

The prolonged slavery of women is the darkest page in human history.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Woman's discontent increases in exact proportion to her development.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Nothing strengthens the judgment and quickens the conscience like individual responsibility.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

The woman is uniformly sacrificed to the wife and mother.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Words cannot describe the indignation a proud woman feels for her sex in disfranchisement.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Women of all classes are awakening to the necessity of self-support, but few are willing to do the ordinary useful work for which they are fitted.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles, and see that the world is moving.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Human beings lose their logic in their vindictiveness.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

The heyday of woman's life is the shady side of fifty.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

I am always busy, which is perhaps the chief reason why I am always well.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

The greatest block today in the way of woman's emancipation is the church, the canon law, the Bible and the priesthood.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Surely the immutable laws of the universe can teach more impressive and exalted lessons than the holy books of all the religions on earth.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

I thought that the chief thing to be done in order to equal boys was to be learned and courageous. So I decided to study Greek and learn to manage a horse.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

To live for a principle, for the triumph of some reform by which all mankind are to be lifted up to be wedded to an idea may be, after all, the holiest and happiest of marriages.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

To throw obstacles in the way of a complete education is like putting out the eyes.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

I shall not grow conservative with age.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

We found nothing grand in the history of the Jews nor in the morals inculcated in the Pentateuch. I know of no other books that so fully teach the subjection and degradation of woman.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

The more complete the despotism, the more smoothly all things move on the surface.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

It is impossible for one class to appreciate the wrongs of another.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

To make laws that man cannot, and will not obey, serves to bring all law into contempt.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

The religious superstitions of women perpetuate their bondage more than all other adverse influences.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to women is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one young soul with the superstition of the Christian religion.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Auguste Rodin Quotes
French - Sculptor November 12, 1840 - November 17, 1917

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.
Auguste Rodin

Inside you there's an artist you don't know about. He's not interested in how things look different in moonlight.
Auguste Rodin

The artist must create a spark before he can make a fire and before art is born, the artist must be ready to be consumed by the fire of his own creation.
Auguste Rodin

Sculpture is the art of the hole and the lump.
Auguste Rodin

To the artist there is never anything ugly in nature.
Auguste Rodin

I choose a block of marble and chop off whatever I don't need.
Auguste Rodin

The artist is the confidant of nature, flowers carry on dialogues with him through the graceful bending of their stems and the harmoniously tinted nuances of their blossoms. Every flower has a cordial word which nature directs towards him.
Auguste Rodin

I invent nothing, I rediscover.
Auguste Rodin

The modes of expression of men of genius differ as much as their souls, and it is impossible to say that in some among them, drawing and color are better or worse than in others.
Auguste Rodin

True artists are almost the only men who do their work for pleasure.
Auguste Rodin

Art is contemplation. It is the pleasure of the mind which searches into nature and which there divines the spirit of which nature herself is animated.
Auguste Rodin

To any artist, worthy of the name, all in nature is beautiful, because his eyes, fearlessly accepting all exterior truth, read there, as in an open book, all the inner truth.
Auguste Rodin

Man's naked form belongs to no particular moment in history; it is eternal, and can be looked upon with joy by the people of all ages.
Auguste Rodin

There are unknown forces in nature; when we give ourselves wholly to her, without reserve, she lends them to us; she shows us these forms, which our watching eyes do not see, which our intelligence does not understand or suspect.
Auguste Rodin

Nobody does good to men with impunity.
Auguste Rodin

Joseph McCabe Quotes
English - Writer November 12, 1867 - January 10, 1955

Creeds made in Dark Ages are like drawings made in dark rooms.
Joseph McCabe

The making of an Atheist implies a mental stimulation and training which brings into play the primary factors of social progress.
Joseph McCabe

Any body of men who believe in hell will persecute whenever they have the power.
Joseph McCabe

The theist and the scientist are rival interpreters of nature, the one retreats as the other advances.
Joseph McCabe

No pope ever condemned slavery.
Joseph McCabe

I AM what is called a Feminist. Thirty years ago I left a monastery and began a sane human existence. Within two or three years, I find, I was defending the rights of women.
Joseph McCabe

An idea or institution may arise for one reason and be maintained for quite a different reason.
Joseph McCabe

Bert Williams Quotes
American - Entertainer November 12, 1875 - March 4, 1922

The man with the real sense of humor is the man who can put himself in the spectator's place and laugh at his own misfortune.
Bert Williams

I named all my children after flowers. There's Lillie and Rose and my son, Artificial.
Bert Williams

I have never been able to discover anything disgraceful in being a colored man. But I have often found it inconvenient - in America.
Bert Williams

Harry A. Blackmun Quotes
American - Judge November 12, 1908 - March 4, 1999

In order to get beyond racism, we must first take account of race. There is no other way. And in order to treat some persons equally, we must treat them differently.
Harry A. Blackmun

Disapproval of homosexuality cannot justify invading the houses, hearts and minds of citizens who choose to live their lives differently.
Harry A. Blackmun

By placing discretion in the hands of an official to grant or deny a license, such a statute creates a threat of censorship that by its very existence chills free speech.
Harry A. Blackmun

The right of an individual to conduct intimate relationships in the intimacy of his or her own home seems to me to be the heart of the Constitution's protection of privacy.
Harry A. Blackmun

I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.
Harry A. Blackmun

Who is to say that 5 men 10 years ago were right whereas 5 men looking the other direction today are wrong.
Harry A. Blackmun

The states are not free, under the guise of protecting maternal health or potential life, to intimidate women into continuing pregnancies.
Harry A. Blackmun

What the Court really has refused to recognize is the fundamental interest all individuals have in controlling the nature of their intimate associations.
Harry A. Blackmun

It is precisely because the issue raised by this case touches the heart of what makes individuals what they are that we should be especially sensitive to the rights of those whose choices upset the majority.
Harry A. Blackmun

The flaw in the statute is that in all its applications, it operates on a fundamentally mistaken premise that high solicitation costs are an accurate measure of fraud.
Harry A. Blackmun

Michael Ende Quotes
German - Writer November 12, 1929 - August 29, 1995

Those who still think listening isn't an art should see if they can do it half as well.
Michael Ende

She would sit by herself in the middle of the old stoe amphitheatre, with the sky's starry vault overhead, and simply listen to the great silence around her.
Michael Ende

Life holds one great but quite commonplace mystery. Though shared by each of us and known to all, seldom rates a second thought. That mystery, which most of us take for granted and never think twice about, is time.
Michael Ende

Time is life itself, and life resides in the human heart.
Michael Ende

Calendars and clocks exist to measure time, but that signifies little because we all know that an hour can seem as eternity or pass in a flash, according to how we spend it.
Michael Ende

When it comes to controlling human beings, there is no better instrument than lies. Because you see, humans live by beliefs. And beliefs can be manipulated. The power to manipulate beliefs is the only thing that counts.
Michael Ende

All the beasts in Howling Forest were safe in their caves, nests, and burrows.
Michael Ende

Momo listened to everyone and everything - even to the rain and the wind and the pine trees - and all of them spoke to her after their own fashion.
Michael Ende

No architect troubled to design houses that suited people who were to live in them, because that would have meant building a whole range of different houses. It was far cheaper and, above all, timesaving to make them identical.
Michael Ende

She became so important to them that they wondered how they had ever managed without her in the past. And the longer she stayed with them the more indispensable she became, so indispensable in fact that their one fear was that she might some day move on.
Michael Ende

John McGahern Quotes
Irish - Writer November 12, 1934 - March 30, 2006

Everything that we inherit, the rain, the skies, the speech, and anybody who works in the English language in Ireland knows that there's the dead ghost of Gaelic in the language we use and listen to and that those things will reflect our Irish identity.
John McGahern

We absolutely believed in Heaven and Hell, Purgatory, and even Limbo. I mean, they were actually closer to us than Australia or Canada, that they were real places.
John McGahern

I think that each of us inhabits a private world that others cannot see. The only difference between the writer and the reader is that the writer is able to dramatise that private world.
John McGahern

I think technique can be taught but I think the only way to learn to write is to read, and I see writing and reading as completely related. One almost couldn't exist without the other.
John McGahern

I think fiction is a very serious thing, that while it is fiction, it is also a revelation of truth, or facts.
John McGahern

When you're in danger of losing a thing it becomes precious and when it's around us, it's in tedious abundance and we take it for granted as if we're going to live forever, which we're not.
John McGahern

I feel I grew up in a different century than I live in. I think most of them are changes for the good.
John McGahern

I think it's linked to the realisation that we're not going to live forever and that the way of saying and the language become more important than the story.
John McGahern

Amongst Women concentrated on the family, and the new book concentrates on a small community. The dominant units in Irish society are the family and the locality. The idea was that the whole world would grow out from that small space.
John McGahern

The rosary was said every evening. I always liked that sentence about the medieval Churches, that they were the Bibles of the poor. The Church was my first book and I would think it is still my most important book.
John McGahern

When I was in my 20s it did occur to me that there was something perverted about an attitude that thought that killing somebody was a minor offence compared to kissing somebody.
John McGahern

I've never written anything that hasn't been in my mind for a long time - seven or eight years.
John McGahern

Ireland is a peculiar society in the sense that it was a nineteenth century society up to about 1970 and then it almost bypassed the twentieth century.
John McGahern

For example, it's only about 20 years ago the people in that community would have got telephone lines, and it would be only about in the 1950s that electricity came to that part of the world. Television wouldn't have come till 1970.
John McGahern

But that private world, once it's dramatised, doesn't live again until it finds a reader.
John McGahern

Yes, though I have nothing but gratitude for my upbringing in the church.
John McGahern

I belong to the middle class that grew up very influenced by the Catholic church. The people of the novel are from a more pagan and practical world in which the Christianity is just a veneer.
John McGahern

I used to take five or six books away and bring five or six books back. Nobody gave me direction or advice and I read much in the way that a boy might watch television.
John McGahern

When I start to write, words have become physical presence. It was to see if I could bring that private world to life that found its first expression through reading. I really dislike the romantic notion of the artist.
John McGahern

I read all the time. I was reading a book I admire very much by Alice McDermot called Charming Billy.
John McGahern

I love the description of Gothic churches before the printed word, that they were the bibles of the poor.
John McGahern

My father was very outwardly religious.
John McGahern

Yes, but also one of the problems for a novelist in Ireland is the fact that there are no formal manners. I mean some people have beautiful manners but there's no kind of agreed form of manners.
John McGahern

I think there's a great difference in consciousness in that same way in that when we're young we read books for the story, for the excitement of the story - and there comes a time when you realise that all stories are more or less the same story.
John McGahern

The way I see it is that all the ol' guff about being Irish is a kind of nonsense. I mean, I couldn't be anything else no matter what I tried to be. I couldn't be Chinese or Japanese.
John McGahern

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions