SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

Huntington Gardens!

woodnative
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This New Jersey guy had a recent opportunity to visit and see the Huntington Gardens. I was out in LA area for work-related activity (not typical of me) and had a free day (even less typical). Of course I used my free time to visit the Los Angeles Arboretum and the Huntington Gardens the same day. The LA Arboretum was nice but the Huntington is above and beyond anything I could have imagined. It is absolutely incredible.....every inch of the place is well manicured with well placed, well grown plants. The Japanese Garden and the Desert Garden are Wow!! A huge conservatory has amazing plants and there is an incredible Children's garden too (very interesting for the adults to see too). Oh and the Bonsai....etc. etc. There is also the library/museums on the property that were well done and worth seeing. I can go on and on. A greenhouse contained a lot of smaller and unusual cactus, Haworthias, Lithops etc. and includes some Sansevieria!! There was a very well-grown 'Forescate' among the potted group and a huge S. kirkii 'Coppertone' in bloom in the ground (and int he greenhouse). I wonder if Norma Lewis had a hand in starting that 'Forescate' or other Sans there......a shame she is not able to be on the forum any more.... I know how much she loved volunteering there. These gardens are a must see for anyone in the area (or get yourself in that area). Even your non-plant-loving friends or family should enjoy this. The beauty of the place is mind blowing (and a large group of Golden Barrel cacti each the size of fire hydrants are impressive to anyone!)!

Comments (20)