SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nidnay

Snakes....crawlspace....and HVAC ductwork

Nidnay
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Not exactly a design dilemma, but I figured I’d post here anyway. I am somewhat freaking out about this. Here’s the situation...

Our house is under construction and the HVAC guys, along with the plumbers, electricians and everyone else is in and out of the crawlspace. They continually leave the crawlspace door open. We are on almost 7 acres with a combination of woods, fields and a creek. Lots of snakes here. The HVAC guys have all of the flexible ductwork laying on the floor of the crawlspace (which is attached to the floor registers on one end, but laying on the ground and unattached on the other end). I am really concerned about snakes coming into the crawlspace via the open door, slithering into the ductwork that is laying there, and then going into hibernation or a state of brumation, only to wake up when the temperatures rise after all the ductwork has been connected on both ends, and find their way into my home through the floor registers. I do not have a snake phobia, but it seems like a no brainer that one should make sure all the ends of the flexible ducts are covered in such a way so that no critters can enter (since it’s almost impossible to make sure that the crawlspace door is closed at all times because there are so many trades in and out of that area). Am I crazy to think this way? Is it unreasonable to ask my builder to take some sort of precaution against snakes getting into the ducts? I don’t really know what to do at this point. How do I know there are no snakes in my ductwork already? I’m pretty sure that the HVAC guys aren’t going to thoroughly inspect and shake out all the duct work before they attach the open end.

Help me!

Comments (57)