SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ihjah

Help picking warm gray paint color

ihjah
6 years ago

Hi, I am updating my 1980's home and having trouble finding the right shade of gray. Home is open floor plan with vaulted ceilings. Trim color is Sherwin Williams Alabaster. Kitchen cabinets and wood floor in dining area are medium, warm oak. Carpet throughout rest of home is a neutral greige color.

In-home color consultant helped me pick SW Popular Gray, which I loved at first as I started painting, but now some areas of home are looking too lavendar at certain times of day. I love this color, but just a touch too much purple undertone. I've put up large sample boards of SW Agreeable Gray (ok, but not loving, a bit too dark), and SW Accessible Beige (thought it would look good with my traditional home style, but too beige for my taste). Popular Gray is still my favorite of the 3 samples I have, but still not quite perfect. I am painting myself, so I can buy any brand.

Any colors similar to this you can recommend- pale, warm grays with slightly less violet undertone? Thinking about picking up a sample of BM Balboa Mist because it looks very similar to the Popular Gray. Any recommendations to try? I feel like I've exhausted all of the SW colors, so am expanding to other brands, but not familiar with their colors. Thank you! This is much more challenging than I anticipated!

Comments (2)