SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_maze

Which 1 of 3 trees would you plant by your street curb and why?

Rachel Maze
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am getting a free tree planted on the strip I have between my sidewalk and the curb. I have to pick from 3 options. I live in California. I did my research on them but I still can't decide what is best. What would you choose and why?

The one thing I am afraid of is how much it litters (i.e. how hard will it be to take care of and clean up after?)

1. Miyabe maple (Acer miyabei 'Morton'): I prefer these to the Autumn Fantasy, as they tend to have less surface roots. They have soft yellow fall color compared to the red of the Autumn Fantasy.

2. Frontier elm (Ulmus 'Frontier'): Low litter and with stunning red and purple fall color. This one is a fast grower and seems quick to establish here in San Jose.

3. MaacNificent Maackia (Maackia amurensis 'JFS-Schichtel1'): This tree has soft white flowers in spring and rounded leaflets. If you're interested in a flowering tree, this one doesn't get too big but it'll offer interest for much of the year. (We are leaning towards not choosing this one because of it attracting bees and having to clean up after the flowers).

Thank you for your help!!

Comment (1)