SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fmejia899

Help ID

Vic
6 years ago

Hello there, I'm back with 3 other plants in Tijuana area. They were all gifts and I wasn't told what they were. Would love to know what they are to care for them the best possible way!

First plant, it was a cutting (hoping it grows because I think it's gorgeous):

Second reminds me of a Kalanchoe's leaves but these leaves are much thicker. Here it is:

And it's side view:

I'm in love with this one so please help me out. Third plant/tree(?), the bigger one was also a cutting so I'm not sure if it'll live (fingers crossed):

And side view/under leaf:

Appreciate all help and thank you beforehand.

Comments (17)

• carol23_gw
    6 years ago

I think the last one is Synadenium grantii var. rubrum

Vic thanked carol23_gw
  • iochroma
    6 years ago

Agree with Carol; the last one was known for quite a long time as that, but all putative Synadenium are back to Euphorbia. Due to a long and tortured taxonomic snafu, this is currently being called Euphorbia bicompacta 'Rubra' - an ID I personally do not find acceptable or accurate.

Please be aware that this plant is dangerously toxic.

Your first plant is Portulacaria afra.

It is hard to pin down the second, but that may be a Crassula multicava or possibly another species.

Vic thanked iochroma
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

I think you'll find that the accepted taxonomical name is Euphorbia bicompacta var. rubra. And it is not any more toxic than most other species of euphorbia....sap from any species can cause a reaction with those that are sensitive to it. Not everyone has the same degree of sensitivity but care should be taken when handling any euphorb.

Vic thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • windberry zone5a BCCanada
    6 years ago

As for care, as you most likely know, the first tenet of successful
    container gardening, especially when dealing with succulents, is having
    drainage holes at the bottom of the containers. Only exception is bog
    and aquatic plants.

Vic thanked windberry zone5a BCCanada
  • iochroma
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Sorry to disagree with GardenGal, but this plant has a well-documented record of poisonings and is especially dangerous. It often causes long-term eye damage.

I have abundant documentation to support this point.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

She was not disagreeing, but saying there are many other Euphorbia that are equally dangerous. Those most popularly kept in the captivity of a pot would likely be the most notoriously culpable, merely from increased access.

Vic, to which Kalanchoe species are you comparing the thickness of your #2 plants' leaves?

6 years ago

It is good to know that Euphorbia's sap can cause serious irritation to mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth).

"the latex can produce extremely painful inflammation. Therefore, spurges should be handled with caution and kept away from children and
    pets. Latex on skin should be washed off immediately and thoroughly.
    Congealed latex is insoluble in water, but can be removed with an
    emulsifier such as milk or soap. A physician should be consulted if
    inflammation occurs, as severe eye damage including permanent blindness
    may result from exposure to the sap", see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia#Irritants

Thank you iochrama for bringing this to our attention. Information (even if a little exaggerated, I think) is much better than serious complications.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

As often as euphorbias are discussed here, on the Perennials forum or the Cacti and Succulents forum, anyone growing them should be well aware of their potential toxicity. Even the sap (latex) from your Christmas poinsettia can cause distress to those who are sensitive. But allergic sensitivity will vary widely from individual to individual. I have grown many different species of euphorbia over the years, both hardy forms as well as the more tropical succulent species, and they have never caused any reaction with me. But one does need to be aware of their potential, which is why I included that statement to my previous post.

Vic thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Vic
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Carol, thank you for helping me, I really needed to know since I find is so beautiful. & Nigell, thank you also for helping me out.

Iochroma & GardenGal, thank you for all this information. I agree with winberry that information is much better than complications, as I do have pets to worry about.

Winberry, yes there are drainage holes in every container. It's a must, always.

& Tiffany, I was comparing how silky and smooth #2's leaves are like the Blossfeldiana, but wrote how much thicker #2's leaves are in comparison. Hope that helps in any way to ID it, thank you for your interest

• gyr_falcon
    6 years ago

As often as euphorbias are discussed here, ....

One might think so. But when you consider there can be five posts all for pokeweed id on page 1 of these forums, with many back-ups on pages 2-5, maybe the assumption cannot safely be made that people read any other threads than the ones they post. [And sometimes they don't even bother to come back for their own. ;) ]

• iochroma
    6 years ago

According to one of my most recent references: Wink and Wyk this Euphorbia is classed as a 1a - the most toxic category - the same as castor bean, oleander, Daphne, and Aconitum.

Most other Euphorbia do not rate higher than 1b, and the poinsettia is a plant that does not warrant even a class 3 (slightly irritating) classification.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Vic, fwiw, I have pets as well. No euphorbia issues with them either :-)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

iochroma, if you'd like to post your sources, I'd be happy to review them. I may learn something new. But I do not find anything online or in any of my sources more alarming about this euphorbia species than many others........unless if masquerading as an African bushman, you dipped your arrow into the sap :-) Somehow, I just don't think that is likely to come up too often.

So Just How Toxic Are Euphorbias?

• iochroma
    6 years ago

Michael Wink, Ben-Erik Van Wyk : 'Mind Altering and Poisonous Plants of the World' Timber 2008

I also have access to veterinary journals with records of incidents.

6 years ago

"Medicinal Plants of the World" is another excellent book by the same authors.

"Michael Wink is a professor of pharmaceutical biology and a director of
    the Institute of Pharmacy and Molecular Biotechnology at the University
    of Heidelberg in Germany. He is an authority on secondary metabolites of
    plants and their pharmacological effects."

"Ben-Erik van Wyk is a professor of botany at the University of
    Johannesburg, South Africa. His scientific field of interest is in plant
    classification, ethnobotany, and useful plants."

• Embothrium
    6 years ago

The elephant bush looks like it is being kept too wet. (Also the potting mix used may be too organic, needing more of a mineral component to be present). Many house plants need watering to fall off markedly in winter, succulent kinds all the more so.