SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kani_saeed

Finding plastic film compost balls in my compost tumbler

Kani Saeed
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

First, I am new to composting. I have a joraform tumbler, almost full on the second chamber. I noticed in the first chamber, there are little balls forming about the size of peach pits or small avocado seed pits. When I break them up, most of them contain what looks like finished compost, but I have found some with plastic film inside. I have no clue what I could have put in there that has plastic film. I use leaves, cardboard, brown paper, napkins as my main browns. I have also added more browns gradually to help breakdown the compost balls, but not sure if its helping much. Anyways, I guess I have a two part questions here, the compost balls and finding plastic film. I see a lot of people, especially on the joraform site suggest wood pellets and sawdust for browns, but I don't really want to purchase those. My main reasons for composting is to reduce waste (environmental reasons), which is why I don't want to buy wood pellets or sawdust. Any suggestions from wise and experienced composting people out there?

Comments (7)