SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tristansgarden

What should I do to these rose bushes?

6 years ago
It's a warm November here in zone 9 California. Warm enough that, in the last couple weeks, a handful of fallen sunflower seeds have sprouted!

I inherited a beautiful old rose bush when I bought this house 3 years ago. The first 2 years I lived here I never pruned it. I was afraid to, being a total novice. It was verrrry leggy. Then we had our fence done and the workers cut it down to almost nothing. It took off growing after that, getting so huge and dense my husband took issue with its tremendous size (5'x5'x5') and cut it back a bit early summer. It didn't bloom this year. Going forward I want to prune it at the right time and the right amount to keep it healthy and blooming, and so far the internet tutorials haven't been a great help! Any advice is appreciated!

I enjoyed the blooms from the old bush so much I bought 3 or 4 bare root bushes earlier this year. They haven't gotten very big, im assuming they'll take a few years to get to the size of the inherited one. Is there something I should be doing for them as well?

Here are photos of the old bush and one of the new ones (surrounded by bean vines)
Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting