SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 10 - 21 - 17 Psge 2 Five people

User
6 years ago

Bryan Procter Quotes
English - Poet November 21, 1787 - October 5, 1874

Oh, the summer night, Has a smile of light, And she sits on a sapphire throne.
Bryan Procter

The sweetest noise on earth, a woman's tongue; A string which hath no discord.
Bryan Procter

I never was on the dull, tame shore, But I loved the great sea more and more.
Bryan Procter

There's not a wind but whispers of thy name; And not a flow'r that grows beneath the moon, But in its hues and fragrance tells a tale Of thee, my love.
Bryan Procter

Touch us gently, Time! Let us glide adown thy stream, Gently, - as we sometimes glide Through a quiet dream!
Bryan Procter

All round the room my silent servants wait, My friends in every season, bright and dim.
Bryan Procter

Death is the tyrant of the imagination.
Bryan Procter

Even Echo speaks not on these radiant moors.
Bryan Procter

O human beauty, what a dream art thou, that we should cast our life and hopes away on thee!
Bryan Procter

Half the ills we heard within our hearts are ills because we hoard them.
Bryan Procter

Pity speaks to grief More sweetly than a band of instruments.
Bryan Procter

So mightiest powers buy deepest calms are fed, And sleep, how oft, in things that gentlest be!
Bryan Procter

Arthur Quiller-Couch Quotes
English - Writer November 21, 1863 - May 12, 1944

By all means, let us study the great writers of the past for their own sakes, but let us study them for our guidance: that we, in our turn, having (it is to be hoped) something to say in our span of time, say it worthily, not dwindling out the large utterance of Shakespeare or of Burke.
Arthur Quiller-Couch

The real tragedy of the Library at Alexandria was not that the incendiaries burned immensely, but that they had neither the leisure nor the taste to discriminate.
Arthur Quiller-Couch

If you here require a practical rule of me, I will present you with this: 'Whenever you feel an impulse to perpetrate a piece of exceptionally fine writing, obey it - whole-heartedly - and delete it before sending your manuscript to press.'
Arthur Quiller-Couch

Portraits of other great ones look down on you in your college halls; but while you are young and sit at the brief feast, what avails their serene gaze if it do not lift up your hearts and movingly persuade you to match your manhood to its inheritance?
Arthur Quiller-Couch

The more clearly you write, the more easily and surely you will be understood.
Arthur Quiller-Couch

If you crave for Knowledge, the banquet of Knowledge grows and groans on the board until the finer appetite sickens.
Arthur Quiller-Couch

Will you tell me, 'Oh, painting is a special art, whereas anyone can write prose passably well'? Can he, indeed? ... Can you, sir? Nay, believe me, you are either an archangel or a very bourgeois gentleman indeed if you admit to having spoken English prose all your life without knowing it.
Arthur Quiller-Couch

The whole business of reading English Literature in two years, to know it in any reputable sense of the word - let alone your learning to write English - is, in short, impossible.
Arthur Quiller-Couch

Against Knowledge I have, as the light cynic observed of a certain lady's past, only one serious objection - that there is so much of it.
Arthur Quiller-Couch

Rene Magritte Quotes
Belgian - Artist November 21, 1898 - August 15, 1967

Everything we see hides another thing, we always want to see what is hidden by what we see.
Rene Magritte

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.
Rene Magritte

We must not fear daylight just because it almost always illuminates a miserable world.
Rene Magritte

To be a surrealist means barring from your mind all remembrance of what you have seen, and being always on the lookout for what has never been.
Rene Magritte

My painting is visible images which conceal nothing... they evoke mystery and indeed when one sees one of my pictures, one asks oneself this simple question 'What does that mean'? It does not mean anything, because mystery means nothing either, it is unknowable.
Rene Magritte

The mind loves the unknown. It loves images whose meaning is unknown, since the meaning of the mind itself is unknown.
Rene Magritte

If the dream is a translation of waking life, waking life is also a translation of the dream.
Rene Magritte

Only thought can resemble. It resembles by being what it sees, hears, or knows; it becomes what the world offers it.
Rene Magritte

Life obliges me to do something, so I paint.
Rene Magritte

The present reeks of mediocrity and the atom bomb.
Rene Magritte

Jim Bishop Quotes
American - Journalist November 21, 1907 - 1987

Archaeology is the peeping Tom of the sciences. It is the sandbox of men who care not where they are going; they merely want to know where everyone else has been.
Jim Bishop

Books, I found, had the power to make time stand still, retreat or fly into the future.
Jim Bishop

Watching your daughter being collected by her date feels like handing over a million dollar Stradivarius to a gorilla.
Jim Bishop

Nobody understands anyone 18, including those who are 18.
Jim Bishop

Golf is played by twenty million mature American men whose wives think they are out having fun.
Jim Bishop

Scoops of mint ice cream with chips of chocolate cows.
Jim Bishop

A good writer is not, per se, a good book critic. No more so than a good drunk is automatically a good bartender.
Jim Bishop

It is difficult to live in the present, ridiculous to live in the future and impossible to live in the past. Nothing is as far away as one minute ago.
Jim Bishop

Gimme: an agreement between two losers who can't putt.
Jim Bishop

When you read about a car crash in which two or three youngsters are killed, do you pause to dwell on the amount of love and treasure and patience parents poured into bodies no longer suitable for open caskets?
Jim Bishop

The reporter is the daily prisoner of clocked facts. On all working days, he is expected to do his best in one swift swipe at each story.
Jim Bishop

The future is an opaque mirror. Anyone who tries to look into it sees nothing but the dim outlines of an old and worried face.
Jim Bishop

A newspaper is lumber made malleable. It is ink made into words and pictures. It is conceived, born, grows up and dies of old age in a day.
Jim Bishop

At 19, everything is possible and tomorrow looks friendly.
Jim Bishop

It is impossible to read for pleasure from something to which you are both father and mother, born in such travail that the writer despises the thing that enslaved him.
Jim Bishop

Marilyn French Quotes
American - Author November 21, 1929 - May 2, 2009

Well, love is insanity. The ancient Greeks knew that. It is the taking over of a rational and lucid mind by delusion and self-destruction. You lose yourself, you have no power over yourself, you can't even think straight.
Marilyn French

Men stumble over pebbles, never over mountains.
Marilyn French

Fear is a question. What are you afraid of and why? Our fears are a treasure house of self-knowledge if we explore them.
Marilyn French

Nature is inside art as its content, not outside as its model.
Marilyn French

Oh, God, why don't I remember that a little chaos is good for the soul?
Marilyn French

To nourish children and raise them against odds is in any time, any place, is more valuable than to fix bolts in cars or design nuclear weapons.
Marilyn French

Men's need to dominate women may be based in their own sense of marginality or emptiness; we do not know its root, and men are making no effort to discover it.
Marilyn French

One thing that makes art different from life is that in art things have a shape... it allows us to fix our emotions on events at the moment they occur, it permits a union of heart and mind and tongue and tear.
Marilyn French

'I hate discussions of feminism that end up with who does the dishes,' she said. So do I. But at the end, there are always the damned dishes.
Marilyn French

When they kept you out it was because you were black; when they let you in, it is because you are black. That's progress?
Marilyn French

Anyone determined to find another person or group inferior can always find whole lists of grounds that demonstrate inferiority because we are all inferior to the ideals of humanness we have erected.
Marilyn French

My books are water; those of the great geniuses are wine - everybody drinks water.
Marilyn French

Not many men have both good fortune and good sense.
Marilyn French

Men seem unable to feel equal to women: they must be superior or they are inferior.
Marilyn French

Nothing is ever simple. What do you do when you discover you like parts of the role you're trying to escape?
Marilyn French

Comment

Sponsored
More Discussions