SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasee

Deciding on remodeling scope

Kristin
6 years ago

I’ve been dreaming of a kitchen/first floor remodel of our house for 5 of the 10 years we’ve lived in it. We’ve reached a point where it is financially feasible to tackle the project, and we’ve started planning and reaching out for bids. We’ve gotten 2 bids, there is 25k difference between the prices. One is not detailed enough to do a side by side comparison to understand if different scope was bid. I’m going to call this contractor tomorrow, to try and understand the bid. We also paid this contractor for design services and should get some drawings and cabinet elevations.

The larger bid is more than makes sense for the value of the house and has me rethinking what to do. My husband’s solution is to move, but a house in our area will require work too. I’m wondering if replacing all of the cabinets, fixtures and flooring would be sufficient, because trying to fix the layout is not feasible.

I can share layout and drawings when I get my computer, but I’m interested in how you decide what is worth it..

Comments (6)