SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmalcolkp

Strong colours in a semi-open concept home? How...

kmalcolkp
6 years ago

So, we've been fully renovating an old farmhouse for the past year and are FINALLY hitting the home stretch which means painting! My husband and I know that we want to incorporate some serious colour into the house, but we're not sure how to do it on the main floor because, while the main floor isn't a pure open concept, it does have some LONG sight lines and a lot of flowing rooms. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

The main floor has some exposed wood beams in the diningroom, wooden staircase, and we're using a fair but of metal throughout in fixtures/stair railing. Kitchen is white cabinetry with a dark grey quartz counter. Flooring will be a warm, but semi-muted golden vinyl plank in a wood pattern (Vanilla Sunrise by EzGrip) - yet to be installed or I would include a pic. Also, our ceilings are around 9' high and although the house generally gets a lot of light, the livingroom in particular stays relatively dark due to the wraparound porch that borders it.

(right side of the image being the side of the house that faces east)

Our "inspiration" insofar as colours go...

And a selection of colours that we like from Beauti-tone (we don't expect to use all of these on the main floor - likely only 3 or so, including accents) - but they are basically what we've narrowed our preferences down to for the house as a whole. These are from the "Vintage Finds" collection. We're open to different shades though.

Comments (3)