SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryanga7a

Forest Succession and Restoration?

(ryanga7a) Ryan M
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So, this is a broader discussion beyond an individual tree, but is anybody working on what they consider "forest restoration" in their yards as a hobby, or elsewhere as a professional?

Do you have any experience or interest in forest succession? If so, what sites would you recommend, or what has been your experience?

Long winded description of my yard: Over the past year or so, I have been reading (on and off) about types of forests and learning more about native plants. I can identify a fair amount of trees and plants, but am new to learning about forest ecosystems.

From what I can surmise, my property was once clear cut for lumber, but has not been touched possibly since 1900 to 1920. It is a flat lowland, north Georgia Zone 7a, at about 1,120 foot elevation, about a mile from a tiny church that dated to 1838 before it was torn down, so it was a sparsly populated rural area. There are several large pines 28" in diameter, several more pines 24" diameter, two tulip trees that are 26" and 24" in diameter, and a sweetgum that is 22" diameter, so all "first gen" succession trees from what I understand at this point. Around the corner, there are houses with giant white oaks and red oaks, medium tupelo, medium hickories, etc.

I am pretty confident in saying that the original forest is definitely gone, but the original soil may be in tact (presence of a lot of rocks and some native wildflowers.) I think the first round of succession forest has been growing for about 100 years, give or take.

In addition to the trees mentioned above, I have six beech trees that naturally have grown in the back woods. One is about 30 feet tall, and there is a pair about 20 feet tall, but the others are 12-15 feet.

http://www.nhdfl.org/about-forests-and-lands/bureaus/natural-heritage-bureau/photo-index/hemlock-beech-oak-pine-forest.aspx

The above link is the cloest forest type I have found that I think my yard is turning into but I could be way off. I realize it is not my state, but I am not finding similar information so far i my state's forestry commission. (Although I found out that GA has more privately owned forest land than any other state, which is pretty cool.)

Also, I realize that "forest" is defined in a much larger area than only my yard, but the forests here, as in many places, change very quickly...pocket of oaks, pocket of pines, pocket of hickories, trees that like lowland streams, trees that like dry ridge tops, etc.

So in the yard, there are the beeches, but there are also about 10 white oak seedlings, probably from nuts brought in by squirrels from a big tall white oak a few houses over. There are 32 hickory seedlings (whips? not sure of the right term) who I hope someone 80 years from now gets to enjoy them as medium sized trees lolol. And there are also about 30 black gum (tupelo, Nyssa sylvatica) and other random oaks that are unidentifiable to me because the shade leaves are shaped all wonky.

I would like to learn more about forest succession, but other than further purusing the website above, hiking local forests, and talking with some forestry professionals, I haven't quite planned out the best way to approach the topic.

Your experience and your advice is welcomed!

Comments (16)