SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dochudson

Small indoor hydroponics system in NYC apt, ideas+experiences?

dochudson
6 years ago

Hello folks,

I would love to have a constant supply of mint and basil during winter. While I can buy in the store, I would prefer homegrown. Now that the winter had kicked in, the mint plant has already died/dormant and basil is on the same way.

While searching on YouTube, I came across a really interesting system, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ewOsgoGQL4 Its a really small system that can fit under the dining table in the apartment, near the wall heater.

My only issue is, the apartment is not well insulated so I spend a good chunk of money in winter to heat the apartment. The humidity maintenance is also a challenge due to non-availability of a central ventilation system. These are apartments from the 70s and the only exhaust option is the windows which freeze shut in the winter.

But by trial and errors, I have figured a system to maintain the temperature and humidity both at 60F and 60% all through out the day. I can not reduce humidity less than 60%, no matter what I do. I can not run the dehumidifier all day long for the utility bill.

I wonder if maintaining such hydroponics system is a good idea? How much will it affect the humidity issues? I already have a mold issue that I constantly keep cleaning. With the hourly running of a fan and a dehumidifier, the things are under control.

Those who have experimented, what are your experiences. Is it worth the hassle?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)