SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
always1stepbehind

Ahhhh....got suckered into an informercial :-0

always1stepbehind
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

3 week yoga retreat. A yoga DVD set. I NEED to do something and if I'm not going to go out and at least walk and not likely going to join a gym, I'm hoping this is something I can commit to do since I'm home anyways in the evenings.

I need to change the channel now they're advertising a Kitchen Aid Standing mixer LOL.

Comments (17)

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

Sounds like a good way to get off the couch :-).

I've never been on any kind of a retreat. It would be interesting to go somewhere with people of like minds. I wonder if they have a story writer's retreat or a necklace beading retreat or a dog enthusiast's retreat. I guess with the story writer's retreat it would be difficult as we're kind of loners at that time.

I hope you have an enjoyable time. Do they get you to eat a particular diet?

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeonssky...I should have clarified it is a DVD set!! Sorry.

ETA: I wish I could run away to a real 3 week retreat!!!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

Years ago my SIL was sucked into the Kitchen Aid mixer infomercial. It really was/is a very nice mixer.

So this retreat is something done at home and not a trip? A three week trip would be enough of an expense I have trouble imagining signing up for it after watching several minutes of television ;0) The yoga does interest me though, and I'd like to be doing some. My problem here is small coastal town, and any classes that have started are by well-meaning instructors but without much training. I've love to take a class by someone very experienced in yoga for the middle aged and upwards....

• User
    6 years ago

The right instructor makes all the difference. I hated when mine moved to NM. Never found another good fit. Tried practicing at home, but that didn't last long.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

morz8, don't suppose you want to commute to Bainbridge Island?? LOL :-)) My niece is a very skilled yoga instructor! She is actually on a yoga retreat right now, as she does continuing training/meditation with her yoga guru in various locations.

She had her own studio for years but now just does classes at the local gym, the senior center and at the high school - any age is appropriate!

• eld6161
    6 years ago

I'm with you, Cindy. I need the stimulation of a real instructor. Years back I started Pilates with tapes, but it is just weird how eventually you know beforehand what they will say because obviously, it is a tape.

Onestep, yoga can be tricky. I injured myself doing a bend wrong. The instructor was awful! And, even though I called him over to ask how to do the move, he just said to do the best I could.

The plus about tapes is that you can try something out in the privacy of your own home.

Can you get out and walk during a lunch break. Also, you might fair well with a step tracker. It's not for me because I usually get at least 10,000 steps anyway if I walk the dog twice! But, for others, it can get you up and walking around the house if only to get those steps in!

• sleeperblues
    6 years ago

You tube has a ton of free videos. I don't do yoga so I don't know what's on there, but just search. I love step aerobics, and it's really hard to find good workouts. But I've found a few channels with great instructors. There are so many workouts I never have to repeat one if I don't want.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

I'd love to commute to Bainbridge and meet your niece, gardengal, work with her. But not very practical at around 120 miles that includes Nisqually slowdown these days, JBLM traffic and my favorite white knuckle crossing....the bridge. The only bridge (Narrows) that gives me pause so I make myself drive it ;0) There are several things on the island that I enjoy, I only wish I had the opportunity to be there more often. Maybe once or twice a year and usually tied to a Heronswood or Windcliff open - with other commitments I didn't get there at all this year.

• chisue
    6 years ago

About a month ago DH and I dug out our Nintendo Wii Fit with balance board and started using it again most mornings. (Not right after Sunday breakfast.) It's amazing how only 20 minutes of various routines helps! At the very least, it gets your heart rate up and blood flowing. I already see some new thigh and calf muscles.

Could I run in place on my own for X minutes? Uh-huh. but *would* I? Would I do step-ups? Would I do twists, hula-hoop motions, arm extensions, or simple yoga poses without being prompted by the Wii characters? Evidently not. I didn't.

• DawnInCal
    6 years ago

My father and my brother were both big fans of infomercials. I remember one time my brother ordered a meatloaf pan with a lift out grease screen. Once he'd placed his order he was offered an even better deal if he bought two. Somehow he ended up with a dozen meatloaf pans. Guess what everyone in the family got for christmas that year?

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Eeeekkk...should I just send it back when I get it? I'll check out some videos on youtube before it gets here and see if I can get anything out of using the videos there.

• User
    6 years ago

The only time of year I walk outdoors is during the cooler months. It's just too humid here the rest of the time. I use Leslie Sansone's YouTube videos for indoor walks in air-conditioned comfort. I still break a sweat, but I'm not totally soaked like I would be if walking outdoors.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&ei=Z5wQWsqMC8bSjAP64LmIAw&q=leslie+sansone+youtube&oq=leslie+sansone+youtube&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i131k1j0l9.1595.2999.0.3191.8.8.0.0.0.0.123.805.5j3.8.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.8.800...0i131i67k1j0i67k1.0.pDdSQPHISAg

• nicole___
    6 years ago

I do like yoga. I think this will be a good experience for you. In the past, when I ripped my knee(jogging) and couldn't run, I joined a gym. The one yoga instructor had everyone lie down at the end of class, while soothing music played. Then she went around and gave everyone a quick neck massage with scented oils on her hands. It was WONDERFUL! That part you will be missing out on....:0)

• User
    6 years ago

The corpse pose was something I looked forward to. Total release.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

I am one of those who cannot make myself work out at home unless I absolutely cannot get to my fitness center and then I'll only spend a minimum of time and effort on it. Barely enough to lubricate my joints.

When I first decided to try yoga, I was encouraged (by my doctor) to attend small classes for specialized coaching. I had one on one, hands on body training, and I feel that it was invaluable for helping me be successful in my exercising. Yes, you can hurt yourself practicing yoga.

I've been given CDs to watch and listen to; I have the space. Nope, just cannot will myself to do the right thing for my health.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

Oops I completely missed the DVD part of your comment. Thanks for taking the blame for my faux pas. :) Can you tell that I want to run away to the circus, er I mean yoga retreat, too.

I'd get the set anyway and if you're brave invite a friend or 2 to join you. You could spot one another. :)