User
6 years ago

Eugene Ormandy Quotes
American - Musician November 18, 1899 - March 12, 1985

There is a shadow on every page.
Eugene Ormandy

Beauty is less important than quality.
Eugene Ormandy

It's all very well to have principles, but when it comes to money you have to be flexible.
Eugene Ormandy

Even when you are not playing you are holding me back.
Eugene Ormandy

It is not together, but the ensemble is perfect.
Eugene Ormandy

Tonight I'm going to listen with my ears.
Eugene Ormandy

I never say what I mean, but I always manage to say something similar.
Eugene Ormandy

I'm one of the boys, no better than the last second violinist. I'm just the lucky one to be standing in the center, telling them how to play.
Eugene Ormandy

I told him he'd have a heart attack a year ago, but unfortunately he lived a year longer.
Eugene Ormandy

I can conduct better than I count.
Eugene Ormandy

Why do you always insist on playing while I'm trying to conduct?
Eugene Ormandy

It is not as difficult as I thought it was, but it is harder than it is.
Eugene Ormandy

The notes are right, but if I listened they would be wrong.
Eugene Ormandy

I wrote it the right way, so it was copied the wrong way right. I mean the right way wrong.
Eugene Ormandy

During the rests - pray.
Eugene Ormandy

It's hot as hell as can be.
Eugene Ormandy

Death is an awful thing. I don't believe in it myself.
Eugene Ormandy

If you don't have it in your part, leave it out, because there is enough missing already.
Eugene Ormandy

With us tonight is William Warfield, who is with us tonight. He is a wonderful man, and so is his wife.
Eugene Ormandy

Let me explain what I do here. I don't want to confuse you any more than absolutely necessary.
Eugene Ormandy

I don't mean to make you nervous, but unfortunately I have to.
Eugene Ormandy

Howard Thurman Quotes
American - Educator November 18, 1900 - April 10, 1981

Twilight - a time of pause when nature changes her guard. All living things would fade and die from too much light or too much dark, if twilight were not.
Howard Thurman

A dream is the bearer of a new possibility, the enlarged horizon, the great hope.
Howard Thurman

There is something in every one of you that waits and listens for the sound of the genuine in yourself. It is the only true guide you will ever have. And if you cannot hear it, you will all of your life spend your days on the ends of strings that somebody else pulls.
Howard Thurman

Community cannot for long feed on itself; it can only flourish with the coming of others from beyond, their unknown and undiscovered brothers.
Howard Thurman

Commitment means that it is possible for a man to yield the nerve center of his consent to a purpose or cause, a movement or an ideal, which may be more important to him than whether he lives or dies.
Howard Thurman

During times of war, hatred becomes quite respectable even though it has to masquerade often under the guise of patriotism.
Howard Thurman

At the core of life is a hard purposefulness, a determination to live.
Howard Thurman

He who fears is literally delivered to destruction.
Howard Thurman

George Gallup Quotes
American - Businessman November 18, 1901 - July 26, 1984

Polling is merely an instrument for gauging public opinion. When a president or any other leader pays attention to poll results, he is, in effect, paying attention to the views of the people. Any other interpretation is nonsense.
George Gallup

I could prove God statistically. Take the human body alone - the chances that all the functions of an individual would just happen is a statistical monstrosity.
George Gallup

George Wald Quotes
American - Scientist November 18, 1906 - April 12, 1997

Nuclear weapons offer us nothing but a balance of terror, and a balance of terror is still terror.
George Wald

The only use for an atomic bomb is to keep somebody else from using one.
George Wald

There's life all over this universe, but the only life in the solar system is on earth, and in the whole universe we are the only men.
George Wald

Dropping those atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a war crime.
George Wald

There is nothing worth having that can be obtained by nuclear war - nothing material or ideological - no tradition that it can defend. It is utterly self-defeating.
George Wald

I am growing old, and my future, so to speak, is already behind me.
George Wald

As you lecture, you keep watching the faces, and information keeps coming back to you all the time.
George Wald

A lecture is much more of a dialogue than many of you probably realize.
George Wald

We are the products of editing, rather than of authorship.
George Wald

All War Departments are now Defense Departments. This is all part of the doubletalk of our time. The aggressor is always on the other side.
George Wald

I have lived much of my life among molecules. They are good company.
George Wald

A physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms.
George Wald

You see, every creature alive on the earth today represents an unbroken line of life that stretches back to the first primitive organism to appear on this planet; and that is about three billion years.
George Wald

It would be a poor thing to be an atom in a universe without physicists, and physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms.
George Wald

We've committed many war crimes in Vietnam - but I'll tell you something interesting about that. We were committing war crimes in World War II, before the Nuremberg trials were held and the principle of war crimes was stated.
George Wald

We have fallen in love with the body. That's that thing that looks back at us from the mirror. That's the repository of that lovely identity that you keep chasing all your life.
George Wald

Since we have had a history, men have pursued an ideal of immortality.
George Wald

Science goes from question to question; big questions, and little, tentative answers. The questions as they age grow ever broader, the answers are seen to be more limited.
George Wald

It's not good enough to give it tender, loving care, to supply it with breakfast foods, to buy it expensive educations. Those things don't mean anything unless this generation has a future. And we're not sure that it does.
George Wald

A scientist should be the happiest of men.
George Wald

A peacetime draft is the most un-American thing I know.
George Wald

The Vietnamese have a secret weapon. It's their willingness to die beyond our willingness to kill. In effect, they've been saying, You can kill us, but you'll have to kill a lot of us; you may have to kill all of us. And, thank heaven, we are not yet ready to do that.
George Wald

The thought that we're in competition with Russians or with Chinese is all a mistake, and trivial. We are one species, with a world to win.
George Wald

The only point of government is to safeguard and foster life.
George Wald

The Nobel Prize is an honor unique in the world in having found its way into the hearts and minds of simple people everywhere. It casts a light of peace and reason upon us all; and for that I am especially grateful.
George Wald

Our business is with life, not death.
George Wald

In fact, death seems to have been a rather late invention in evolution. One can go a long way in evolution before encountering an authentic corpse.
George Wald

I think all of you know there is no adequate defense against massive nuclear attack.
George Wald

I tell my students to try to know molecules, so well that when they have some question involving molecules, they can ask themselves, What would I do if I were that molecule?
George Wald

I tell my students to try early in life to find an unattainable objective.
George Wald

As far as I know, the most conservative estimates of the number of Americans who would be killed in a major nuclear attack, with everything working as well as can be hoped and all foreseeable precautions taken, run to about fifty million.
George Wald

We have to get rid of those nuclear weapons.
George Wald

To know reality is to accept it, and eventually to love it.
George Wald

The trouble with most of the things that people want is that they get them.
George Wald

The concept of war crimes is an American invention.
George Wald

And, you see, we are living in a world in which all wars are wars of defense.
George Wald

A scientist lives with all reality. There is nothing better.
George Wald

A scientist is in a sense a learned small boy. There is something of the scientist in every small boy. Others must outgrow it. Scientists can stay that way all their lives.
George Wald

Alec Issigonis Quotes
Greek - Designer November 18, 1906 - October 2, 1988

A camel is a horse designed by committee.
Alec Issigonis

The public don't know what they want; it's my job to tell them.
Alec Issigonis

It is much easier to drive without having an accident.
Alec Issigonis

An expert is someone who tells you why you can't do something.
Alec Issigonis

I feel very, very proud that so many people have copied me.
Alec Issigonis

Compay Segundo Quotes
Cuban - Musician November 18, 1907 - July 13, 2003

Can you imagine that Cuba and Europe's youth, who had forgotten about traditional music, who only thought of rock music, are now looking back towards their grandparents? That is a phenomenon.
Compay Segundo

I am a scholar of life. Every night before I go to sleep, I analyze every detail of what I did that day. I evaluate things and people, which helps me avoid mistakes.
Compay Segundo

When it comes to musicians, I'm like the daddy of musicians here in Cuba.
Compay Segundo

As long as your heart beats, one is never too old.
Compay Segundo

My secret? A desire to work, years of dedication and loving what you do; I can't live without music.
Compay Segundo

Every time I talk about this, I say: when the singer is singing, he must be respected, you must be able to hear what he's saying. You can't put a trombone and a drum up there, and a microphone on the drum, microphones on everybody. You can't hear what he's saying.
Compay Segundo

Everyone should have a philosophy for living better.
Compay Segundo

Towns are suffering from all these things, we should unite until we are all satisfied, man cannot be killing each other as if we were animals, as if we had no culture; that is a lack of culture.
Compay Segundo

The music that I play and that I like is traditional music, maybe it's because of my age.
Compay Segundo

I play music the way it was played in yesteryear.
Compay Segundo

Ry Cooder for me is a master, a great master that has a wonderful feel for Cuban music. He's also paid tribute my talent a bit, even though I don't know half of what he knows.
Compay Segundo

I am still simple, just as if I were beginning.
Compay Segundo

I'm still strong and in the best shape to continue living my life.
Compay Segundo

Young people don't want to be second to anyone. Everyone wants to be an overnight star. Look how many years I had to wait, how many roads I had to travel, how many songs I had to sing. And now I'm just beginning, never ending.
Compay Segundo

I'll only stop singing when I'm in my grave.
Compay Segundo

I've done a lot of things away from my homeland.
Compay Segundo

When you here a conjunto and you hear another conjunto, you think it's like a continuation of the first. It's all the same, same, same. There's no variety, just the same music.
Compay Segundo

Because people are very interested in my poetry, in what I say.
Compay Segundo

As far as pleasures, you've got to have limits. You shouldn't have too much of good things, so you'll always have a desire for more and you won't get bored.
Compay Segundo

I don't sit in the corner waiting for death: death has to pursue me. I'm going strong. I hope to reach 100 and ask for an extension, just like my grandmother did.
Compay Segundo

The roots of Cuban music are in my head.
Compay Segundo

Cubans are frantic when it comes to appreciating music.
Compay Segundo

In order to grow old, you have to experience everything, but in moderation.
Compay Segundo

Imogene Coca Quotes
American - Actress November 18, 1908 - June 2, 2001

The trouble with most comedians who try to do satire is that they are essentially brash, noisy and indelicate people who have to use a sledge hammer to smash a butterfly.
Imogene Coca

I never thought of myself in comedy at all... I loved going to the theatre and seeing people wearing beautiful clothes come down the staircase and start to dance.
Imogene Coca

Johnny Mercer Quotes
American - Musician November 18, 1909 - June 25, 1976

That old black magic has me in its spell, That old black magic that you weave so well; Icy fingers up and down my spine, The same old witchcraft when your eyes meet mine.
Johnny Mercer

Days of wine and roses laugh and run away, like a child at play.
Johnny Mercer

Once upon a time the world was sweeter than we knew. Everything was ours; how happy we were then, but then once upon a time never comes again.
Johnny Mercer

I'm a cowboy who never saw a cow.
Johnny Mercer

You must have been a beautiful baby, 'Cos baby just look at you now.
Johnny Mercer

We're drinking my friend, To the end of a brief episode, Make it one for my baby, And one more for the road.
Johnny Mercer

Comment (1)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions