SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valentine55677

Ideas and suggestions for landscape plan!

The HOA we live in requires the submission of a landscape plan which must be approved before any work begins. Are there any free applications or programs that I can use to create this (printable finished plan a plus)?

My idea is for a sort of Asian prairie garden, the first thing that will be planted will be a larger (several years old) red maple on the west side of the house (about 15 feet from, to provide the space for roots). The north side is where the deck is, also the view from our kitchen window - along the perimeter of the deck but not so much under it should be okay for shade plants - not sure what in particular so if anyone has suggestions for that please feel free to share! A bit further out we could put a bed in that forms an angle with part on the north and part on the west with delphinium and a few varieties of lavender. The east side only has about twenty feet between our house and the neighbor, was thinking that will be where a few ornamental grasses that do well in zone 5 (we're in a western suburb of Omaha NE) can be planted but there's not enough room for anything else. And the front of the house faces south, there's a small tree there already which is planted in the middle of the front yard grass with a rock border around it that really should be removed and seems to be causing problems for the tree. I was thinking that we could remove the rock edging around the tree and plant along the side next to the driveway? If we plant next to the driveway, are there plants that shouldn't be placed there for some reason?

Can rocks be used to direct water (rain, snow, irrigation) and if so how should they be placed? The area under the deck is more or less dirt, the grass in the surrounding greenbelt areas don't extend more than a foot under there which is probably because the majority of plants don't grow in the dark. :P Also, when the tree is planted on the west side, it will help by providing shade, but would it be better to wait on planting in the space we're leaving open between that and the house to give the roots some room, just to give a bit of time to see how a tree there affects things? I'd hate to plant something in the bed close to the house that requires more sun only to have it die because of the shade from the tree!

Thank you in advance for any assistance and suggestions provided!

Comments (13)